GTX 1080 Ti , will it support LightBoost @ 120Hz over DVI-D

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
HydrogenIce

GTX 1080 Ti , will it support LightBoost @ 120Hz over DVI-D

Post by HydrogenIce » 01 Mar 2017, 21:55

I have an Asus VG278H running off a GTX 680.

I am really interested in buying the GTX 1080 Ti when it's released.

Can anyone provide information regarding whether or not the 1080 Ti will be able to support 120Hz LightBoost mode from a DVI-D monitor, using perhaps a 'DVI-D to DisplayPort' or 'DVI-D to HDMI' adapter?

The 1080 Ti doesn't have a native DVI-D port, and the VG278H's HDMI is version 1.4 (meaning it's limited to just 60Hz).

I realize this will likely only affect a small number users, but for me, LightBoost has become an essential feature when gaming.

I am sure that users of LightBoost can attest to the fact that screen motion using LightBoost @ 120Hz appears much smoother and crisp (no blur) than other monitors, even if they're running at 144Hz (without LightBoost).

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: GTX 1080 Ti , will it support LightBoost @ 120Hz over DV

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Mar 2017, 10:39

Hello!
Yes, all Geforces are capable of running LightBoost.

LightBoost works on all connections capable of 120Hz (VGA, DVI, HDMI, DP). The great news is that VG278H is ToastyX Strobelight compatible (see LightBoost HOWTO) which makes it super-easy to enable/disable on a single click!

LightBoost also works on the GTX 680 via the ToastyX Strobelight too, so you can at least "play around" with it, with motion tests like http://www.testufo.com/photo -- even if your games won't look quite good when framerates are far lower than refresh rate. ToastyX Strobelight allows LightBoost on almost any GeForce/Radeon on certain LightBoost monitors like the VG278H, so the GTX1080 is no exception.

And yes, framerate-refreshrate matched motion on an impulse-driven display (like LightBoost) is the clearest possible motion fluidity on the market! can get for your money. The powerful GTX1080 will help ensure your framerates reaches near the Hz of your monitor even in many newer games (albiet, sometimes at slightly reduced detail -- but you can probably keep 95% detail!).

When you eventually (someday) replace your VG278H monitor -- keep in mind that you should also pay attention to "ULMB" and "dyAC" which are other brand name equivalents of "LightBoost", they essentially use the same kind of technique to eliminate motion blur (via a strobed backlight). LightBoost is the original brand name of the first really good gaming monitor blur reduction.

For better colors at Windows desktop while using LightBoost, adjust NVIDIA Control Panel Gamma to these settings in nVidia Control Panel Desktop (Brightness = 52%, Contrast = 45%, Gamma = 0.70). Although newer drivers might not work the same, it's been a long time since I calibrated the colors of LightBosot on a VG278H. The colors are adjusted for 3D Vision glasses but you can make it more optimal for 2D motion blur reduction.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Re: GTX 1080 Ti , will it support LightBoost @ 120Hz over DV

Post by Falkentyne » 02 Mar 2017, 14:08

Well Chief....don't get me started on DyAc...

Callsignvega and Lexlazootin both knew exactly what Benq was up to when that first prerelease video got shown....

DyAc...What you get when you take Benq Blur Reduction, force it to enabled by default, hide the switch to disable it in the service menu, hide the persistence and crosstalk sliders in the service menu, and don't tell anyone who to access it unless they read monitor forums :/ And then market the hell out of it like it's some sort of new feature...