Lightboost no longer working after new GPU [Solved]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
RoroCashflow

Lightboost no longer working after new GPU [Solved]

Post by RoroCashflow » 08 Mar 2017, 00:27

Hey there. So I've been enjoying lightboost for a while now on my Asus vg248qe running on a GTX 970. Lightboost worked just fine and would even be running on startup without the application running. But ever since I've upgraded to the GTX 1070 it hasn't been working. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it, unplugged the display and the display port, and manually set my refresh rate to 120 but nothing seems to bring it back in working order. The application runs fine but it will say strobing is on even though it clearly isn't and reinitializing does nothing. Any suggestions?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Lightboost no longer working after new GPU

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Mar 2017, 09:28

Hmmm, that is interesting.

Which LightBoost-enable method are you using at http://www.blurbusters.com/lightboost/howto ?

If you're using the "ToastyX" method (you imply you are using software, so you are probably using that one). It is possible that it is incompatible with 1070 (or needs to be tested over a different cable/port) and you might be able to succeed using a different method. Once initialzied through a different technique, the monitor remembers it's LightBoost initialization (and easily turned ON/OFF via Strobelight) until unplugged.

Let us know when it succeeds or if you're still having issues --
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RoroCashflow

Post by RoroCashflow » 08 Mar 2017, 13:41

Thanks for the suggestions! I had an HDMI cable laying around and used that. Even though the monitor doesn't support HDMI2.0 I wanted to see what would happen. Strangely enough, LightBoost is working again after I replaced my Displayport cable with the HDMI cable, took it out, and then plugged my Displayport cable back in. I just had to reinstall Strobelight after that and voila! Thanks again for the help! Going so long without it really makes me appreciant it more :D

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Mar 2017, 15:46

Yes, swapping cables in order to do the "first unlock" of LightBoost, sometimes has succeeded -- this is because it uses a 2-way DDC/CI protocol (VCP commands) to control the monitor over the cable.

Sometimes over certain cables and certain graphics drivers on certain graphics cards, the computer and monitor just doesn't want to talk to each other -- and using a different port, card, cable, etc -- can get things working again. It's kind of an NVIDIA lock to limit LightBoost to NVIDIA cards, but was cracked by ToastyX.

If you unplug your monitor (from the power outlet), you will have to do the LightBoost initial-initialization unlocking procedure again before ToastyX Strobelight can successfully turn on/off LightBoost. So keep that HDMI cable around!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RoroCashflow

Re: Lightboost no longer working after new GPU [Solved]

Post by RoroCashflow » 08 Mar 2017, 19:39

Good to know and really appreciate the help!