XL2430T strobing numbers HELP

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
pampidou

XL2430T strobing numbers HELP

Post by pampidou » 22 Mar 2017, 08:06

hello. i am new to the above 60 fps world :) would appreciate some tips :
XL2430T

1) i followed this guide to setup my screen : https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/c ... onitor_to/

2) i mainly play overwatch (Shooter)

3) my issue is in the guide they use the blurr buster tool which they say is not needed for the XL2430T because i can fix the values in the screen options. but the screen options uses Strobe phase and strobe duty as the units instead of persistence and crosstalk.

so my question is the following. is the 1350 VT with Persistence = 2.0 ms
Crosstalk = 0 (Earliest) that the guide advises the best thing for FPShooters?. and if so what are those values in terms of strobe duty and crosstalk?.
PS : a VT of 1500 didnt work screen just shakes and blurrs completly.

thanks for reading this :)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: XL2430T strobing numbers HELP

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Mar 2017, 13:13

Remember Strobe Utility doesn't work with XL2430T, you will need to use the Service Menu.

Depending on the type of game you play, but yes VT1350 + lowest crosstalk (lowest Area value) creates the lowest strobe latency. However, if you can spare ~0.5ms-1.0ms extra, I recommend recalibrating to eliminate the strobe double-image effect, using a slightly higher Crosstalk/Area value.

I recommend using TestUFO Alien Invasion test pattern -- adjust this while adjusting Area (After you've set up ToastyX to VT1350).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

pampidou

Post by pampidou » 22 Mar 2017, 14:22

yes but what do those persistance and crosstalk numbers translate to in strobe phase and duty ( found in service menu )
in the service menu the only thing i can control is strobe phase and strobe duty. so you are mentioning MS delays etc but i dont know what strobe phase converts to what crosstalk etc.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 22 Mar 2017, 17:40

On the XL2430T, Strobe Phase=Area. This has remained the same for all of Benq's monitors, including the XL2735.
Intensity=Strobe Duty, however the values seem to be inverted compared to the "Benq blur reduction 1.0" monitors, e.g. originally, Strobe Duty=1 is the lowest persistence (0.167ms), but on the XL2430T, this is Intensity=25. I am NOT sure if Intensity=25 equals Strobe Duty=25 or Strobe Duty=001 as I don't have this monitor.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Mar 2017, 20:47

pampidou wrote:yes but what do those persistance and crosstalk numbers translate to in strobe phase and duty ( found in service menu )
in the service menu the only thing i can control is strobe phase and strobe duty. so you are mentioning MS delays etc but i dont know what strobe phase converts to what crosstalk etc.
The easiest way is simply run TestUFO Alien Invasion (full screen) and look at it while adjusting the setting -- simply adjust to minimize strobe crosstalk in the screen centre.

Don't worry about lingo or technobabble, the important setting is adjusting "Strobe Phase" or "Area" while looking at the TestUFO motion test.

Strobe Duty is simpler setting preference setting. Longer means brighter, but very slightly more motion blur and sometimes slightly more strobe crosstalk. Basically a brightness-versus-blur tradeoff. Adjust while looking at TestUFO to user preference.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

pampidou

Post by pampidou » 26 Mar 2017, 02:00

ok this is very good advice @Chief Blur Buster thank you. im looking at the test UFO's at the top of the screen have slightl blurr and the bottom it is more noticeable. is that concidered acceptable?
and what am i looking for in terms of cross talk? how do i recognize it? thanks alot

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Mar 2017, 02:42

See strobe crosstalk in the new Motion Blur Reduction FAQ.

Also, strobe crosstalk can vary depending on vertical part of the display.

Adjusting "Area" setting will change the vertical position of the double-image effect. You want to try to push most of it off the bottom edge of the screen -- this is easier to do when using large vertical totals -- that means more of the worst strobe crosstalk can be pushed off the bottom edge of the screen before reappearing at the top edge. The larger the blanking interval (Vertical Total in ToastyX Custom Resolution), the easier it is to hide strobe crosstalk.

pampidou

Post by pampidou » 26 Mar 2017, 03:57

oh thanks alot. i thought i had alot of crosstalk. but most of was much better than the "acceptable" crosstalk described in the page.
so i guess im doing fine. even towards the bottom of the screen it is not that much worse. thanks for all the help

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Mar 2017, 12:29

pampidou wrote:oh thanks alot. i thought i had alot of crosstalk. but most of was much better than the "acceptable" crosstalk described in the page.
so i guess im doing fine. even towards the bottom of the screen it is not that much worse. thanks for all the help
That's great to hear that XL2430T default strobing is much better than default unadjusted XL2420Z or XL2720Z (at least for 120Hz).

You have not adjusted it before?

I bet it can probably be improved even further with the use of a Large Vertical Total. (e.g. VT1350 via ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility).