Asus MG248Q

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
teyd

Asus MG248Q

Post by teyd » 20 Apr 2017, 10:29

Hey,
so I just bought the Asus MG248Q monitor. I'm really happy with the purchase but I have one question.
Is it possible to enable Lightboost or any motion blur reduction with an AMD card?
I'm not in the topic so I just wanted to ask you.
I have FreeSync enabled.

Core i5 3570 3,4Ghz
XFX RX480 RS

teyd

EDIT: Okay thank you for the fast answers. I will try that! Hope it works and I hope I understand what I have to do. Haha.
Last edited by teyd on 20 Apr 2017, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Asus MG248Q

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Apr 2017, 12:12

teyd wrote:Hey,
so I just bought the Asus MG248Q monitor. I'm really happy with the purchase but I have one question.
Is it possible to enable Lightboost or any motion blur reduction with an AMD card?
---CORRECTION: There could be LightBoost after all, see newer post---

According to List of FreeSync Monitors, there is no access to being able to enable motion blur reduction, no matter what kind of card you purchase.

The monitor hardware is probably not even capable of any blur reduction modes, regardless of GPU. Strobe-backlight-based blur reduction modes electronically requires the monitor's electronics to be able to directly control the monitor edgelight/backlight for precisely synchronized strobing in sync with refresh cycles, for the purposes of motion blur reduction.

See Motion Blur Reduction FAQ.

Currently, the Official List of Gaming Monitors includes all known monitors with strobe-backlight technologies (LightBoost, ULMB, Turbo240, BENQ, DyAc, MOTION240, etc).

There's also lists of all known FreeSync monitors and GSYNC monitors.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 20 Apr 2017, 12:19

Chief, the MG248Q has 3D Vision, and is LightBoost capable.

Edit: No idea if it works with this monitor, but you can try anyway. See:

https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thre ... and-NVIDIA

Make sure to disable FreeSync.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Apr 2017, 12:53

RealNC wrote:Chief, the MG248Q has 3D Vision, and is LightBoost capable.
I have doublechecked, and you're right.

This is the first time I remember hearing a FreeSync-compatible (Adaptive-Sync) monitor also simultaneously having NVIDIA 3D Vision.

ToastyX StrobeLight definitely WON'T activate it (although it may be able to turn it ON/OFF after initially activated for first time). You'll need to combine ToastyX CRU with various EDID Override Trick / Emitter Tricks of the LightBoost HOWTO. Harder, but it could work.

First try this:
Alternate LightBoost HOWTO #3: ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility

If that fails, try obtaining a 3D glasses kit:
Alternate LightBoost HOWTO #2: If Using 3D Emitter Or Glasses Kit

And then please report back your findings. If it works, I'll update the list to mention MG248Q as a LightBoost-capable monitor. This is a BlurBusters first -- having to make a correction on which monitors are LightBoost-compatible! Previously, it was assumed that any monitor compatible with FreeSync would not be able to incorporate any NVIDIA-based technology. I'm glad I'm wrong though in this case, as the MG248Q appears to be a VESA Adaptive-Sync (compatible with FreeSync) yet incorporates NVIDIA 3D Vision 2 which includes LightBoost (which is a strobe backlight that eliminates motion blur too).

Thank you!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

teyd

Post by teyd » 20 Apr 2017, 13:46

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
RealNC wrote:Chief, the MG248Q has 3D Vision, and is LightBoost capable.
I have doublechecked, and you're right.

This is the first time I remember hearing a FreeSync-compatible (Adaptive-Sync) monitor also simultaneously having NVIDIA 3D Vision.

ToastyX StrobeLight definitely WON'T activate it (although it may be able to turn it ON/OFF after initially activated for first time). You'll need to combine ToastyX CRU with various EDID Override Trick / Emitter Tricks of the LightBoost HOWTO. Harder, but it could work.

First try this:

If that fails, try obtaining a 3D glasses kit:
Alternate LightBoost HOWTO #2: If Using 3D Emitter Or Glasses Kit

And then please report back your findings. If it works, I'll update the list to mention MG248Q as a LightBoost-capable monitor. This is a BlurBusters first -- having to make a correction on which monitors are LightBoost-compatible! Previously, it was assumed that any monitor compatible with FreeSync would not be able to incorporate any NVIDIA-based technology. I'm glad I'm wrong though in this case, as the MG248Q appears to be a VESA Adaptive-Sync (compatible with FreeSync) yet incorporates NVIDIA 3D Vision 2 which includes LightBoost (which is a strobe backlight that eliminates motion blur too).

Thank you!
Thank you for the response!
Do I have to change anything in the CRU program?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Apr 2017, 13:55

teyd wrote:Thank you for the response!
Do I have to change anything in the CRU program?
Just the model (ACI27F8) and the Vertical Total only.

Follow instructions in LightBoost HOWTO, and then click "Alternate LightBoost HOWTO #3: ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility" to follow instructions.

Remember you'll also need 3D Vision drivers to activate LightBoost -- so that necessitates an NVIDIA graphics card. The first-time activation step won't work on an AMD card on a monitor that's not currently supported by Strobelight. I just noticed your original post mentions an RX480 card, so I think you might be SOL unless you can temporarily borrow an NVIDIA-based system.

Basically:
(1) Unlock LightBoost with NVIDIA graphics card using the HOWTO #3
(2) Without unplugging your monitor from power, switch back to your RX480.
(3) You can then turn ON/OFF LightBoost with ToastyX Strobelight

It can either be a temporary card (in another slot of your computer), or use another computer.

Assuming the LightBoost enable technique is the same as with other monitors. Just remember not to unplug your monitor from power, or you'll lose the NVIDIA LightBoost-unlock status (a form of DRM to limit LightBoost to NVIDIA monitors) and need to unlock again.

teyd

Post by teyd » 22 Apr 2017, 09:59

Alright, as I understood I need a NVIDIA card to activate the stereoscopic 3D in the 3D drivers from NVIDIA and then switch back to AMD. Am I right?
And what about the EDID Override Trick / Emitter Trick? Do I need that?

I'll try to get a NIVIDA card in the next few days.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Apr 2017, 13:06

I think you can attempt to pull this off using:
This does not require the emitter.

That said #2 is easier (emitter method, more official by NVIDIA) while #3 is a hacky method (avoids emitter).

saitek252

Post by saitek252 » 28 Apr 2017, 13:48

I have this monitor (ASUS MG248Q)and I run GTX970 OC-Turbo Asus SLI.

I am able to achieve activating lightboost, however I'm getting noticable artifacts on my screen - it's almost like it's a flicker tearing and the bottom third of my screen tears just for a few miliseconds or so, and then it does it again after around under a minute. Is this a known issue or have I followed the steps incorrectly??

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Apr 2017, 18:00

saitek252 wrote:I have this monitor (ASUS MG248Q)and I run GTX970 OC-Turbo Asus SLI.
I am able to achieve activating lightboost, however I'm getting noticable artifacts on my screen - it's almost like it's a flicker tearing and the bottom third of my screen tears just for a few miliseconds or so, and then it does it again after around under a minute. Is this a known issue or have I followed the steps incorrectly??
Does it only happen with LightBoost?

Are you sure this is not an overclock artifact? I've seen this sort of artifact happen with overclocking --

Also, which LightBoost HOWTO method did you use -- if you don't mind me asking?