Does Overdrive and ULMB add Input Lag?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
andimoon

Re: Does Overdrive and ULMB add Input Lag?

Post by andimoon » 02 May 2017, 21:38

Wow Chief, thanks for the detailed answer :O Honestly, thank you
You've already tried a blur reduction (strobe backlight) mode before? If not, you might prefer one of the easier pre-calibrated ones.
I only had experience with lightboost, ulmb and the eizo turbo 240, which was really horrible (probably because of double strobe when I'm right) and the samsung cfg70 which was good but not good enought :) The best results I have seen at the moment was within ULMB + TN. But I also read about very good homogenity within the Benq models and I'm scared a bit in buying an asus or acer 24 Inch with G-Sync for ULMB.

I was born in 1985, so I only have "experience" with older TV's and CRT Monitors, and still I miss the motion blur abilities from a CRT monitor :) So I think I will give the Benq 2546 a try, after it's released.

Thanks again, I really appreciate!

Edit: If the Benq 2720Z (with the new utility) should have same motion blur abilities like a TN monitor with ULMB, this also would be good for me while the difference from 24 to 27" is pretty noticeable for me :)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 May 2017, 06:54

andimoon wrote:Edit: If the Benq 2720Z (with the new utility) should have same motion blur abilities like a TN monitor with ULMB, this also would be good for me while the difference from 24 to 27" is pretty noticeable for me :)
Remember, you have to DIY calibrate. For the BenQ XL2720Z / Zowie XL2720Z -- Strobe crosstalk is more intense than ULMB at its default settings, so you have to calibrate if your priority is maximum motion clarity. Also, the very top edge/very bottom edges (~1/10th) may still be worse than ULMB, with most of it similar or better.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

andimoon

Post by andimoon » 03 May 2017, 12:52

Thanks a lot :) The Benq is the only one 27" with backlight strobing in Full HD I found (only a Acer is still aviable but for 600+$). So I think I will try the 2546 + the 2720z. Thanks a lot :)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 May 2017, 16:58

Don't forget -- there's actually additional 27" monitors with strobe backlights found in Official List of Gaming Monitors.

Remember, to use a refresh rate lower than maximum, for strobing with less strobe crosstalk double-image effect (~180Hz strobe for 240Hz monitors, or ~120Hz strobe for 144Hz monitors).

As a general rule of thumb, crosstalk gets progressively worse the higher refresh rate you go, and some manufacturers block you from enabling strobing at the higher refresh rates (but not BenQ/Zowie -- they let you turn on strobing at all refresh rates).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

knypol

Post by knypol » 03 May 2017, 19:09

Chief Blur Buster wrote:...
As a general rule of thumb, crosstalk gets progressively worse the higher refresh rate you go, and some manufacturers block you from enabling strobing at the higher refresh rates (but not BenQ/Zowie -- they let you turn on strobing at all refresh rates).

I thought the higher refresh the fainter crosstalk is...
Post 9 in link below - 144Hz ulmb crosstalk is much less visible than 100Hz.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2992

ps. Did Benq change BenqBlurReduction to DyAc?

andimoon

Post by andimoon » 04 May 2017, 19:45

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Don't forget -- there's actually additional 27" monitors with strobe backlights found in Official List of Gaming Monitors.
Yeah thanks :) But I'm looking for Full HD TN 27" with blur reduction, and there are not that much models. I'll think I give the Benq 27 Inch a try and hopefully I will understand what I'm doin within the VT twaks:)

Thanks for all this infos!

EDIT: Oh maybe I found a better solution, but 24". Dell S2417dg with G-Sync, and it's cost 40€ less in Europe. (410 vs 370€). Maybe... I will think about, thanks anyway for the list :)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 May 2017, 22:41

knypol wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:ps. Did Benq change BenqBlurReduction to DyAc?
Kind of, yes.

That said, they don't use the DyAc brand name for all of them.
XL2540 -- has unmarketed Blur Reduction (as generic "Blur Reduction" in service menu)
XL2546 -- has marketed DyAc (enabled by default)

SparkieSpaark

Post by SparkieSpaark » 23 May 2017, 12:33

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
knypol wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:ps. Did Benq change BenqBlurReduction to DyAc?
Kind of, yes.

That said, they don't use the DyAc brand name for all of them.
XL2540 -- has unmarketed Blur Reduction (as generic "Blur Reduction" in service menu)
XL2546 -- has marketed DyAc (enabled by default)
Do you think the XL2546 is going to make a huge difference with DyAc over the normal 240hz monitor?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 May 2017, 12:35

Not sure at this time -- One (unconfirmed) thing I heard is DyAc uses brighter backlight boost pulses than BENQ Blur Reduction.

Blur reduction use strobe backlight technologies which, due to the black periods between strobes, can result in a darker average picture, than without blur reduction. To compensate for this, some displays overdrive their backlight/edgelight LEDs to compensate, during pulsed operation. Getting >200 nits with a strobe backlight, while maintaining <2ms persistence, is extremely challenging.

But this information need to be tested (comparing a DyAc to a non-DyAc display)

SparkieSpaark

Post by SparkieSpaark » 23 May 2017, 12:52

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Not sure at this time -- One (unconfirmed) thing I heard is DyAc uses brighter backlight boost pulses than BENQ Blur Reduction.

Blur reduction use strobe backlight technologies which, due to the black periods between strobes, can result in a darker average picture, than without blur reduction. To compensate for this, some displays overdrive their backlight/edgelight LEDs to compensate, during pulsed operation. Getting >200 nits with a strobe backlight, while maintaining <2ms persistence, is extremely challenging.

But this information need to be tested (comparing a DyAc to a non-DyAc display)
Aaah, I kind of understand. I'm new too the whole strobe blacklights and others. Just going through reading stuff atm.

I can't decide between waiting for the BenQ XL2546 (could be the end of this month to 1-2 months a head of now) or just getting the BenQ XL2540 for the best smoothness on Overwatch at 240fps+. With the lowest input. I only ever really play Overwatch and CSGO.