XL2430T settings

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Scuri

XL2430T settings

Post by Scuri » 23 Apr 2017, 08:13

Sorry to be a pain, but ive been reading around for a while now but im struggling to grasp exactly what to do. I just want to run it at 120hz at 1920x1080 smoothly and not have the colours looking washed out and too dark. But the whole custom resolution and playing with the strobing is throwing me off. I'd really appreciate any help but again, sorry to be a pain

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: XL2430T settings

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Apr 2017, 11:27

Hello,

You probably already saw the Motion Blur Reduction FAQ

So you probably have several issues to adjust first first before advanced improvements such as Vertical Totals and Custom Resolutions.

Strobing amplifies visibility of microstutters normally hidden by motion blur. Fix your microstutter weak links first!
1. Try testing a good mouse / mousepad to make mouse movements smooth (see Blur Busters Mouse Guide -- because a poor mouse can further amplify microstutters seen, especially those during blur reduction). During strobed operation, a 1000Hz poll rates makes a noticeable difference over 125Hz/500Hz -- without motion blur hiding the difference of 500Hz-vs-1000Hz mouse fluidity, you will now be able to see mouse microstutter differences between 500Hz and 1000Hz during strobed operation.
2. Try briefly testing VSYNC ON and making sure framerate runes at maximum (120fps with no framerate slowdowns). VSYNC ON benefits both with and without blur reduction strobing.
3. Choose the monitor's best strobed rates (e.g. 120Hz). Some monitors will do an excellent job strobing at 85Hz or 100Hz (not all of them), if you are running a game that can't run 120fps@120Hz necessary for super-smooth motion.

Should I use VSYNC ON or VSYNC OFF?
Strobing usually looks better with VSYNC ON. However, you get more input lag with that if you're a competition gamer. For average gamers and offline gaming, it often not matter. VSYNC ON is normally not use by professional competition eSports players due to the input lag of VSYNC ON (and strobing, for that matter). However, it is perfectly fine for recreational gaming when you just want to have fun with the smoothest possible motion. "VSYNC ON + Strobing" go together very well to produce that CRT motion clarity effect that some gamers crave (of yesteryear arcade games, or Nintendo smooth scroller days). VSYNC ON is necessary to get the 'smooth' effect you see in http://www.testufo.com/photo ... Another method with a little less lag is that in-game framerate capping can help too, especially if you want to use strobing during competition gaming. The use of uncapped or almost-uncapped framerates (e.g. 1000fps VSYNC OFF using a GTX 1080 during CS:GO) can also be another brute-force way to reduce the amplified-microstutter effect of strobing.[/i]

Be careful of washing out your colors while attempting to brighten your strobed mode
Now once you've done that, and you want the motion clarity improvements of Blur Reduction, you'll want to know that Blur Reduction can be darker than without Blur Reduction -- you can adjust both Brightness to 100% and strobe length to 100% to get the brightest possible image during strobed operation. Be careful adjusting gamma/contrast/etc in an attempt to brighten things further since that can wash-out your colors before you're able to brighten your whites. If strobed is still too dark, play at night (or turn strobed off during the day).

Proper Colors
You can use test patterns like Lagom test patterns (e.g. Lagom Contrast) to adjust your colors, for blackest blacks and brightest whites, while making sure you see each colored square simultaneously.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Scuri

Post by Scuri » 23 Apr 2017, 13:20

Ok thanks, I'd say I have that down now other than adjusting strobe length?(still not quite bright enough imo) but I have everything all good with lagoms tests, the colours just dont seem to pop. That probably falls in within adjusting the strobe duty and phase? They are also things I cant seem to get a grasp of. I see alot about them on here and elsewhere but I just dont quite get it. Its the same with doing the custom resolutions. I have Toasty's CRU if that helps.

Sorry again for needed to be spoon fed D:

Heres an example of the colour http://imgur.com/a/n0t8o

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 23 Apr 2017, 14:56

Besides what Chief said:

1) Use Standard Mode only.

2) Don't use the S-switch; saving Standard Mode into S-switch preset 1/2/3 (Gamer 1/2/3) does not actually save standard mode's low level color calibrations; rather it saves the OSD settings only. Gamer 1/2/3 are HARDWIRED for LOW LEVEL FPS1, FPS2 and RTS color settings, which the user has no access to, even when another mode is saved into it. This absurd behavior was claimed to be "intentional" by Benq on their support forums but I'm not buying that for an iota.

The XL2411Z, XL2420Z (S-switch) and XL2720Z (S-switch) actually rewrite the original saved mode into gamer 1/2/3, so standard mode saved into gamer 1 actually gets recalled correctly. This logical behavior was ...."Broken" on the XL2430 and will never be fixed. Maybe call Benq on the phone and complain very assertively about it.

3) Contrast 50, Brightness 20, black equalizer 0, color vibrance 10 should give you a reasonable picture.

If you want to use VT Tweaks at 120hz through DISPLAYPORT, use ToastyX CRU and add this custom resolution: 1920x1080, porch: 48/3, Sync: 32/5, HT: 2080, VT: 1500. Save and restart the driver. Make SURE you set the STROBE PHASE IN THE MONITOR SERVICE MENU to 000 until you learn more about what you're doing. Set Strobe Duty to 009. (in the OSD, this is Area=000 and Intensity 25-9=16). The service menu "Strobe Duty" setting I believe is inverted from the OSD "Intensity" setting (They do the same thing, but BACKWARDS in values). Again I do NOT own this monitor, so if im wrong, I'm sorry. Area is Strobe Phase with same values.

Over DVI, you need the Pixel Clock Patcher installed first.

That's all I can do for you as I don't own this monitor. It's worthless to me with the broken S-switch presets.

Scuri

Post by Scuri » 24 Apr 2017, 09:13

Ok thanks, ill do that. You know your shiz