Is there anything in nVidia Inspector worth changing?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
KevOW

Is there anything in nVidia Inspector worth changing?

Post by KevOW » 05 May 2017, 14:23

I've been toying around with it, but can't find anything worth changing
No input lag pls

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Is there anything in nVidia Inspector worth changing?

Post by RealNC » 05 May 2017, 15:44

It's mainly used to force SGSSAA on old games, using special anti-aliasing bits, use Ambient Occlusion also using special AO bits, forcing SLI on games that don't have SLI-profiles, and force double vsync (half-refresh vsync) without having to use adaptive vsync. Other than that, no, there's no general purpose settings there that aren't also in the NVidia panel.

Oh, it also gives access to NVidia's driver-level FPS capper, but I don't recommend using that. It has double the input lag of RTSS.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

baffle

Post by baffle » 03 Jun 2017, 18:22

RealNC wrote:Oh, it also gives access to NVidia's driver-level FPS capper, but I don't recommend using that. It has double the input lag of RTSS.
This said, would you suggest using the Afterburner/RTSS version of FPS capper? Or should those generally be left alone entirely?

On occasion I use Riva to cap my Acer XB270HU at 144 or 145 just to keep it from going beyond my 144hz limit. I can't say I noticed any input lag, but that's one thing I'm not very sensitive to. I'm much more sensitive to stutters, tearing, low FPS, blur, etc.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 Jun 2017, 19:35

With g-sync you want to cap to at least 2FPS below max refresh using an in-game limiter. If there is none, then RTSS works well.

G-Sync stops working if you're not at least 2FPS below max refresh.

More info here: http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-range/

And MUCH more info here: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3073

And a youtube video from an independent test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs0PYCpBJjc

The "perfect setup" is: cap to at least 2FPS below max refresh, disable vsync in-game, enable v-sync in the nvidia panel, enable g-sync.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

baffle

Post by baffle » 05 Jun 2017, 03:51

Sweet, thank you!

I'm still trying to figure out the sweetspots. Should I be focused on using ULMB or Gsycn? I suppose I should be trying to use ULMB when at all possible = steady framerate at 100/120hz), and revert to Gsync on games that dip down to the sub 60s or that fluctuate greatly. I actually think that ULMB gives me a headache after a while and a feeling of my eyes bugging out of my head, but I'll have to experiment more. And I still need to figure out if I actually have crosstalk or if it's just a browser issue (my other thread...). Thanks again!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 05 Jun 2017, 06:30

Personally, I use ULMB for 85Hz only (and 120Hz for 60FPS arcade emulators, which is 60Hz effective with black frame insertion.)

It's just preference. At 100Hz and up, I find motion blur to be acceptable and thus g-sync is more important for me, since high frame rates are more difficult to maintain. 85FPS is easier to keep maxed, so ULMB makes sense there.

But that's also due to my using an IPS monitor, which has more crosstalk at 120Hz ULMB. 85Hz looks much better.

So in the end, use what feels best. It can even differ from game to game. Fast racing games at 120Hz for example might be more fun with ULMB, while RPGs might play best with G-Sync.