Vertical Total Trick on AMD GPU

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
hleV

Vertical Total Trick on AMD GPU

Post by hleV » 14 Jul 2017, 14:30

I have long since set it up on my XL2411Z, however I'm using an NVIDIA GPU.
Today I attempted to do the VT1350 trick for a friend (also XL2411Z, however an AMD GPU), and the screen just won't become brighter!

The info on CRU here hardly helps. Could certainly improve the tutorial. It was my first time using the CRU and the steps shown in that page don't seem to provide the desired result, for me anyway.

What I did was create a detailed resolution 1080p @ 120Hz, with settings similar to the screenshot of NVIDIA counterpart. Then restarted the GPU driver (it says to restart the PC, tried that as well). What's confusing is the "switching to your newly-created mode". In Windows 10 monitor settings it's just "120 Hertz", which is already chosen. Switching to e.g. 144Hz and back to 120Hz doesn't help.

Would it be possible to get a more in-depth step-by-step tutorial for this? I searched for VT1350 for AMD and there aren't many results.
BenQ XL2546K @ 240Hz (DyAC+) • ROCCAT Kone Pro Air @ 1000Hz • HyperX Alloy Origins • CORSAIR MM350 PRO Premium • HyperX Cloud Revolver • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 @ 2130MHz/8000MHz • Intel Core i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz • G.SKILL RipjawsV 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHz CL15

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Vertical Total Trick on AMD GPU

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Jul 2017, 00:40

There's other instructions at http://www.blurbusters.com/strobe-crosstalk

Remember that this needs to be combined simultaneously with strobe phase (Area) adjustments -- it shifts the crosstalk band up and down.

With large vertical totals (as explained in the above link -- the way the monitors work), you can move more of the strobe crosstalk off the edge of the screen before it wraps around to the opposite edge. This results in thinner double-image bands at top/bottom and a taller mostly crosstalk-free zone (over 3/4ths the height of the screen). This is the most visible improvement that "Large Vertical Totals" brings.

Also, unfortunately, brightness is no longer affected as BENQ fixed that "bug" in newer firmwares. However, you can still get a thinner band of strobe crosstalk. VT1350's primary purpose is not to make the screen brighter, but to reduce strobe crosstalk.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

hleV

Re: Vertical Total Trick on AMD GPU

Post by hleV » 15 Jul 2017, 06:28

Oh, I see. So VT1350 "bug" was fixed for newer FWs (I'm on V4 while friend has a newer, Zowie one). Right now I'm on 2.0ms persistence while friend has 4.0ms to see properly. Will tell him to use the UFO tests to adjust to his preference.
BenQ XL2546K @ 240Hz (DyAC+) • ROCCAT Kone Pro Air @ 1000Hz • HyperX Alloy Origins • CORSAIR MM350 PRO Premium • HyperX Cloud Revolver • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 @ 2130MHz/8000MHz • Intel Core i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz • G.SKILL RipjawsV 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHz CL15