Question regarding ASUS VG248QE

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
K3D

Re: Question regarding ASUS VG248QE

Post by K3D » 17 Mar 2014, 22:45

Thanks for the help, man!

I decided to go with the VG248QE for now due to the budget and future proof aspects of it. I will most likely be using lightboost whenever I can, however I believe the G-SYNC upgradability justifies the VG248QE over the XL2420Z with V2 firmware (despite the BENQ having better lightboost) due to the fact that I am not running a computer that can run every game at 120 FPS (My rig is a Gigabyte 670 + 4670k OCed to 4.4 ghz).

A few concluding questions:
1. Is it better to turn lightboost off in games where I am not getting 120 FPS? EX: BF4/Witcher
2. Does G-SYNC mean PWM is being turned off? I was confused by if the upgrade means you are able to turn off PWM, or if it is the same thing as G-SYNC being turned on.
3. Do the settings in the FAQ globally apply to 10%, 50%, and 100% brightness in Lightboost?
nVidia Control Panel Desktop Brightness = 52%
nVidia Control Panel Desktop Contrast = 45%
nVidia Control Panel Desktop Gamma = 0.70
4. Regarding a question in the FAQ:
Q: My games doesn’t use my desktop calibration! How to fix?
Does this happen with a majority of games? Is it best to implement this in preparation?
5. Is it worth renting a Spyder4 Pro rather than doing the manual calibration (are the FAQ settings alright at the bare minimum?)

Thanks!

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 18 Mar 2014, 05:37

K3D wrote: 1. Is it better to turn lightboost off in games where I am not getting 120 FPS? EX: BF4/Witcher
In my opinion, 80-90fps or lower at 120Hz looks bad, but I don't know if I'd consider it bad enough to turn off lightboost. You wouldn't see detail in movement either way.
K3D wrote:2. Does G-SYNC mean PWM is being turned off?
Yes. With the G-Sync upgrade, there is no PWM. But ULMB/Lightboost is some kind of synchronized PWM (it doesn't cause artifacts, and it reduces motion blur, of course).
K3D wrote:3. Do the settings in the FAQ globally apply to 10%, 50%, and 100% brightness in Lightboost?
nVidia Control Panel Desktop Brightness = 52%
nVidia Control Panel Desktop Contrast = 45%
nVidia Control Panel Desktop Gamma = 0.70
Lightboost % only changes the strobe length, meaning that it only changes brightness and motion blur, so in theory you'd only need to change desktop brightness if you want to have the same ammount of brightness. However, if you change the frequency, like from 120Hz to 100Hz, contrast and gamma may change.
K3D wrote:4. Regarding a question in the FAQ:
Q: My games doesn’t use my desktop calibration! How to fix?
Does this happen with a majority of games? Is it best to implement this in preparation?
In my short experience with my new monitor, most if not all games ignore the desktop calibration, because they run in fullscreen. If you can run them in borderless fullscreen, in theory your desktop calibration should affect them.
K3D wrote:5. Is it worth renting a Spyder4 Pro rather than doing the manual calibration (are the FAQ settings alright at the bare minimum?)
Don't know, and I'm color blind :P , so I don't care a lot about colors as long as they are similar as I see them in real life.
K3D wrote:Thanks!
You're welcome :D .
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

K3D

Post by K3D » 20 Mar 2014, 18:54

Just got the monitor and followed all suggestions. It looks great. 30% lightboost is around the same brightness as my old monitor (guess I liked dark screen).

Just a few questions:

1. What is the best ICC Profile for VG248QE 2D Lightboost 65% Contrast? The one in the FAQ that links to http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/monit ... post989784 is dead. Can you reupload the ICC or email it to me by any chance?

2. Is the .7 Gamma, 52% Bright, 45% Contrast NVIDIA Desktop Color Change about the same as the ICC in the above question (recommended in the FAQ)?

3. What settings does ICC modify?

4. Any recommendations for double monitor software? UltraMon? DisplayFusion? Multimon?
http://lifehacker.com/5519833/five-best ... itor-setup

I also saw this:
http://www.actualtools.com/multiplemoni ... itor.shtml

Thanks!
Last edited by K3D on 21 Mar 2014, 01:39, edited 2 times in total.

SS4

Post by SS4 » 25 Mar 2014, 15:11

I myself played with a few ICC and i barely notice any differences . . . thats why im considering upgrading to ULMB after DIY kits drop in prices. Right now im mostly using regular 144hz without lightboost coz lightboost at 120hz no matter what % feels way off and im not a color picky person(i actually find the color great on the VG248QE at 144hz lol).
I'd have to do more testing with lightboost at 100hz as the colors don't suffer as much as at 120 and you also need 20 less FPS in games to benefit from lightboost . . .
But in the end ill probably upgrade with the DIY kit as it seems like the best option for me.