LightBoost turned off by some games [solved]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
SisterBob

Re: LightBoost turned off by some games

Post by SisterBob » 26 Dec 2013, 13:18

Chief Blur Buster wrote: P.S. Feel free to tell your gaming friends about Blur Busters Forums!
Unfortunately, all of my friends think I'm crazy for caring this much about gaming smoothness.
Chief Blur Buster wrote: P.P.S. There is now a LightBoost Topic area, so I'm moving this thread to the better place (hope you don't mind)
Hey, these are your forums - do what you feel is best! :)

So I came across yet another game, PayDay 2, that was disabling lightboost and I thought I'd share my experience with it and how to fix it. Fortunately, the fix was about as simple as the Dark Souls fix.

Just navigate over to your C:\Users\[Your User Name Here]\AppData\Local\PAYDAY 2 directory and open up renderer_settings.xml. Look for refresh_rate = "XX" near the bottom and change it from whatever number is in the quotes - it was 50 for me, oddly enough - to 120. It's as simple as that.

Make sure to change the maximum allowed FPS under the in-game video options as well. Oddly, it caps out at 135, but you only need 120 for now. Hope that helps any wayward Googlers out there who ran into the same problem.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Dec 2013, 12:53

SisterBob wrote:Unfortunately, all of my friends think I'm crazy for caring this much about gaming smoothness.
Bring them into your house, and show them before-and-after TestUFO animations.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:So I came across yet another game, PayDay 2, that was disabling lightboost and I thought I'd share my experience with it and how to fix it. Fortunately, the fix was about as simple as the Dark Souls fix.
Thanks for the tip! I esxpect newer games to be more 120Hz-intelligent, compared to many older games, so that fixes/hacks are needed less often.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

SisterBob

Post by SisterBob » 27 Dec 2013, 13:01

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Bring them into your house, and show them before-and-after TestUFO animations.
Haha I actually will. "LOOK HOW READABLE THE MAP IS," I'll scream. "LOOK WHAT YOU'RE MISSING." :lol:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:Thanks for the tip! I esxpect newer games to be more 120Hz-intelligent, compared to many older games, so that fixes/hacks are needed less often.
Yeah, I figure this will be the case, as well. I definitely want to be able to help people that come across such issues if I can, though; it'd be nice if I could save at least a couple people some time and frustration. I hope it's ok if I keep reporting problems and fixes in this thread and I hope other people will do so as well!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Dec 2013, 13:37

SisterBob wrote:Haha I actually will. "LOOK HOW READABLE THE MAP IS," I'll scream. "LOOK WHAT YOU'RE MISSING." :lol:
Also, I should note that many people will not notice the difference in games, unless it's pointed out to them.
So you have to actually point out the specific area of benefits:

-- It benefits eye-tracking-based situations. Panning, strafing, turning.
Anything that requires you to track moving eyes quickly. Even non-FPS games can benefit, if you're looking at sideways platform scrollers, to panning in a map, to spinning during 3rd person view, etc. You no longer "lose display resolution" during motion.

-- You need a powerful GPU because you want triple-digit framerates.
Strobing looks best at framerates matching stroberate (e.g. 120fps at 120Hz).
Generally, just being close to it, or exceeding (VSYNC OFF), will look far better than strobing during low framerates.

SisterBob wrote:Yeah, I figure this will be the case, as well. I definitely want to be able to help people that come across such issues if I can, though; it'd be nice if I could save at least a couple people some time and frustration. I hope it's ok if I keep reporting problems and fixes in this thread and I hope other people will do so as well!
We actually welcome such posts!

A great idea, is, maybe make a list of fixes, you can begin new separate thread dedicated to "List of Game Fixes; Get Games to work at 120Hz" -- would be a good, easy catch. If you want, you're welcome to make such a thread, and add to it on an ongoing basis (e.g. zillions of games), as you discover fixes for other games.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

SisterBob

Post by SisterBob » 27 Dec 2013, 14:16

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Also, I should note that many people will not notice the difference in games, unless it's pointed out to them.
So you have to actually point out the specific area of benefits:

-- It benefits eye-tracking-based situations. Panning, strafing, turning.
Anything that requires you to track moving eyes quickly. Even non-FPS games can benefit, if you're looking at sideways platform scrollers, to panning in a map, to spinning during 3rd person view, etc. You no longer "lose display resolution" during motion.

-- You need a powerful GPU because you want triple-digit framerates.
Strobing looks best at framerates matching stroberate (e.g. 120fps at 120Hz).
Generally, just being close to it, or exceeding (VSYNC OFF), will look far better than strobing during low framerates.
Oh yeah believe me, I have a few choice games picked out to show off LightBoost at 120fps, which is why I've been finding so many titles that don't work along the way. Source Engine games obviously give me a solid 120fps and so does PayDay 2, actually, while I find other games, like the Witcher 2, still benefit from running just above 60fps (the best I've seen is about 88fps in game) though obviously not as much. I'm hoping to get a 780 or 780ti in the new year, depending on how things go, so I can hopefully get 100+fps in most games, at least.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:A great idea, is, maybe make a list of fixes, you can begin new separate thread dedicated to "List of Game Fixes; Get Games to work at 120Hz" -- would be a good, easy catch. If you want, you're welcome to make such a thread, and add to it on an ongoing basis (e.g. zillions of games), as you discover fixes for other games.
That's an excellent idea! I'll do that either later today or tomorrow.

Chickenfeed

Post by Chickenfeed » 30 Dec 2013, 11:47

Chief Blur Buster wrote: Having a different resoution, off by one or two pixels, allows you to use a game's resolution selection method, instead of the refresh rate selection method. Most games are more reliable at letting you choose a resolution, than choosing a refresh rate. You keep using Strobelight for Desktop and all your other games. But for those troublesome games such as Sleeping Dogs -- have an extra resolution that's LightBoost-only, for the specific troublesome game that otherwise refuses to run LightBoosted.

Very good to know, I played with getting my TV running at 120HZ ( managed at 720 on a Panasonic ST30 50") and ran into some issues such as this. I had a custom resolution for 120HZ input but exactly 1280x720. In most cases forcing the override of using maximum available refresh rate in the NV drivers ( via Nvidia INspector ) did the trick but for the odd game sans INI configuration or where that didn't play nice, this is great.

As for a master fix list for gaming at 120HZ plus, that would be a godsend to many no doubt. In the early days of wider aspect LCDS, Wide Screen Gaming Forum was a great place to learn how to get around ( or at least make more bearable ) the lack of higher FOVs and resolutions in older (then current) titles. Can you believe Battlefield 2 didn't support anything outside of 4:3/5:4 for the longest time?
Feedanator 6.0
CASE:FT02B|PSU:AX850|CPU:i7 4770K|Mobo:Z87 Pro|Ram:8x2GB GSkill 2400|GPU:SLI GTX 780 3GB|HD:M4 128GB+256GB/F1 1TB|SOUND:Titanium HD,PC350|LCD:VG248QE/QH270-lite|OS:Win8 x64 Pro|INPUT:SS Sensei /w HD9/DasUltSilent|COOLING:H80

zachska87

Re: LightBoost turned off by some games [solved]

Post by zachska87 » 01 Jan 2014, 01:13

I started having this same problem in BF4 tonight. I set up a custom resolution, and that seems to have solved the problem for now, but does anyone know how to force Battlefield 4 to use LB in it's native resolution? Thanks!

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 01 Jan 2014, 03:41

zachska87 wrote:I started having this same problem in BF4 tonight. I set up a custom resolution, and that seems to have solved the problem for now, but does anyone know how to force Battlefield 4 to use LB in it's native resolution? Thanks!
BF4 automatically selects the highest available refresh rate, I manually changed it to 120hz in the video settings and that fixed it for me.

zachska87

Post by zachska87 » 01 Jan 2014, 20:47

Only the custom resolution trick is working for me suddenly. Not sure why. I'll post if I find another fix, I'll be experimenting.