Brand Names of Strobing: LightBoost / ULMB / Turbo240 / etc

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Brand Names of Strobing: LightBoost / ULMB / Turbo240 / etc

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Dec 2013, 12:36

The great news for gaming monitors is that there are many strobe backlight technologies hitting the market, that allows LCD to have the motion clarity of a CRT:

- LightBoost - the first one that actually competes with CRT in motion clarity
- EIZO Turbo240 in Foris FG2421
- BENQ Blur Reduction in Z-series monitors (XL2720Z, XL2411Z, and XL2420Z)
- Ultra Low Motion Blur (ULMB), which is GSYNC's included optional lightboot sequel
- Sony Motionflow Impulse - Equivalent of LightBoost; game mode compatible & interpolation-free (no fake frames).
- Any other strobe backlights, scanning backlights, and other low-latency motion blur reduction technologies.

This forum also discusses these technologies too. Feel free to create a new post or thread!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Ahigh

Re: Sequels to LightBoost and Similiar

Post by Ahigh » 23 Dec 2013, 14:23

I just purchased one of the Sony sets to see how well they perform. I started off buying the X900A, but I took it back since HDMI 2.0 still is so new that the graphics cards aren't supporting this type of output yet, but I have a KDL-47W802A in transit that I got for $1,098 (about $2,400 cheaper than the X900A) until 4kp60 is something that can reasonably be done on the sets that support HDMI 2.0.

I have the ASUS PQ321Q and inspecting the results of this set in slow motion for DP MST 4k mode reveal that it blanks the backlight for 1ms to update all the pixels and the other 15ms or so the backlight is on. I don't believe this model has any motion blur reduction in the backlight control. It sure would be nice if ASUS made some firmware upgrade for this display for blur reduction. They can definitely strobe the backlight with a mod, and they know about such things having LightBoost under their belt. Not sure why their most expensive display wouldn't support it.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Dec 2013, 14:42

Ahigh wrote:I just purchased one of the Sony sets to see how well they perform. I started off buying the X900A, but I took it back since HDMI 2.0 still is so new that the graphics cards aren't supporting this type of output yet, but I have a KDL-47W802A in transit that I got for $1,098 (about $2,400 cheaper than the X900A) until 4kp60 is something that can reasonably be done on the sets that support HDMI 2.0.
From earlier reports, the W802A should have the mode available in Game Mode, so enable Game Mode, and then enable the Impulse mode

We'd appreciate you creating a new thread with your experiences with this mode. I anticipate the following findings:
-- It will be fairly dim, so disable your ambient light sensor to compensate.
-- It will flicker a lot, like a 60Hz CRT.
-- It will reduce motion blur by approximately 75%.
-- In non-strobe mode, it has less than one frame of input latency. Pretty low for a HDTV for console gaming.
-- In strobe mode, it has less than two frames of total input latency; still less lag than a typical plasma.
But I would like you to write a review of the Sony KDL-47W802A, let me know how it goes!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Ahigh

Post by Ahigh » 24 Dec 2013, 06:49

Yes, I will report back. My decision to go with this display was based on info from your website about both latency and backlight strobe. With the price at $1098 for the holiday, it seemed like a great time to buy one. I also bought a 40" Samsung F6300 for $529 on the special price for the holidays. A recent report says the F6300 will take a 1080p120, so I'll be looking at this set as well.

I have a Casio EX-ZR1000 camera to do slow motion capture of the displays' refresh methodology. So hopefully I can provide an in-depth coverage of what is going on at 240hz to 1000hz analysis.

I also had a 39" Seiki come in and I will likely have a 65" Seiki in a few weeks as well. Exciting things are happening with my new job that has me doing R&D on 4K and high framerate gaming displays. I am also excited to work with some of the brilliant minds who are collaborating on this forum. There is a lot of work for us to do!

SS4

Post by SS4 » 26 Dec 2013, 14:14

I'm also interested in that TV review. Good gaming TV are hard to find, high input lag makes Guitar hero/rock bands and the like a real pita to play as well lol.

Ahigh

Post by Ahigh » 26 Dec 2013, 18:52

Well I ordered from the East coast to Las Vegas (from B&H) so it's going to take another week for it to get here.

Meanwhile I have a ASUS VG278HE and a Samsung UN40F6300AFXZA here to play with.

shadman

Post by shadman » 27 Dec 2013, 04:06

SS4 wrote:I'm also interested in that TV review. Good gaming TV are hard to find, high input lag makes Guitar hero/rock bands and the like a real pita to play as well lol.
If I had any reason to need a low-input lag TV, it would definitely be for Guitar Hero ;)
The only reason I still use a console (PS2 baby!).

Ahigh

Post by Ahigh » 02 Jan 2014, 14:09

Well, my Sony motionflow display is here, but MotionFlow gets grayed out on me. Initially I had it set and I was seeming to make some progress then it just grayed out on me. UGHHHH. I feel like a newb here.

edit: Alright .. I had to do scene select "Game" mode before I could do that stuff. Now all is great! I have never fooled with a Sony set. But it looks great now. More feedback later and out of newb mode and 15 minutes of WTF!?!?!

Ahigh

Post by Ahigh » 02 Jan 2014, 15:12

Here's the two 1000Hz movies I made to demonstrate what the set is doing with and without motionflow impulse turned on.

This is a good demonstrate of how sample-and-hold appears on the back of your retina. I am tracking the moving object with my 1000hz camera in both of these movies to simulate your eye tracking the moving object.

With sample-and-hold what eye tracking looks like to your retina.
With backlight strobing what eye tracking looks like to your retina.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jan 2014, 16:25

Just to confirm -- that appears to be strobing at 120Hz, rather than at 60Hz?