Lightboost and Eyestrain, Color Reproduction

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
zachska87

Lightboost and Eyestrain, Color Reproduction

Post by zachska87 » 31 Dec 2013, 08:49

Has anyone experienced more eye strain as a result of using LB? Less maybe? I seem to get "tired" a bit quicker than I used to but it *is* the holidays and things have been a little crazy so it could just be that. Still worth the trade off if it does cause more eyestrain. Also, what settings in the NVIDIA CP have people found that helps the washed out colors the best? My colors are still very muted with LB, and while I am obviously not looking for any sort of true color reproduction, a little more color would be amazing. :)

shadman

Re: Lightboost and Eyestrain, Color Reproduction

Post by shadman » 31 Dec 2013, 09:15

Reminds me of this thread:
http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa ... rt-my-eyes

Might be the holidays too though, if your issues are not pronounced on any other monitor. But try the few things ToastyX recommends and see where that goes.

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 31 Dec 2013, 10:16

Normally I don't.
But it seems like it wears me out a little more if I am getting a frame rate of 90 and using 120hz lightboost. That is probably more of a mental thing than an eye thing though.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Dec 2013, 15:11

zachska87 wrote:Has anyone experienced more eye strain as a result of using LB? Less maybe? I seem to get "tired" a bit quicker than I used to but it *is* the holidays and things have been a little crazy so it could just be that. Still worth the trade off if it does cause more eyestrain. Also, what settings in the NVIDIA CP have people found that helps the washed out colors the best? My colors are still very muted with LB, and while I am obviously not looking for any sort of true color reproduction, a little more color would be amazing. :)
It is very person dependant.
The LightBoost FAQ has both entries:
"Q: Why does LightBoost have MORE eyestrain?"
"Q: Why does LightBoost have LESS eyestrain?"

e.g.
If you are motion blur sensitive, you may have less eyestrain with LightBoost.
If you are flicker sensitive, you may have more eyestrain with LightBoost.
If you are excess-brightness sensitive, you may have less eyestrain with LightBoost.
etc.

People who liked high-refresh-rate CRT's but hated LCD's, will generally like LightBoost.

The good thing is that strobe backlight modes can be easy to enable/disable, thanks to ToastyX Strobelight (for LightBoost) or hardware pushbuttons (for next-generation strobe backlights).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

zachska87

Post by zachska87 » 31 Dec 2013, 16:17

Thanks so much for the replies everyone. I don;t know how I missed that section on the LightBoost FAQ (it had been a while since I read it), I feel kind of dumb now. But thank you for taking the time to explain it to me anyway and now be condescending about me missing it, as would probably happen on some other forums. You guys rock!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Dec 2013, 21:05

zachska87 wrote:Thanks so much for the replies everyone. I don;t know how I missed that section on the LightBoost FAQ (it had been a while since I read it), I feel kind of dumb now. But thank you for taking the time to explain it to me anyway and now be condescending about me missing it, as would probably happen on some other forums. You guys rock!
Around here, there are no silly questions about displays --
These are great questions for Blur Busters Forum!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!