New Gaming PC Owner, G-Sync + V-Sync + Null Discourse is Making my Brain Bleed

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Custerly

New Gaming PC Owner, G-Sync + V-Sync + Null Discourse is Making my Brain Bleed

Post by Custerly » 21 Feb 2024, 12:40

Hi all,

I have a L:egion Pro 5i RTX 4070 coming in the mail and I'm super excited. Coming from 2 decades as a strictly console player.

As I wait for the package to arrive, I'm reading up on recommended system-level settings for optimal performance. One area where I'm having real difficulty finding a unified consensus is regarding the optimal solution to avoid frame tearing, stuttering, and input latency. It seems like you guys here are very renowned for your knowledge on this stuff, so I'm going to trust whatever you say. The problem is that even after reading posts about this subject here, I remain exremely confused.

It seems like the common wisdom on the subject says to do this:
G-Sync and V-Sync ON in NVCP
NULL set to Ultra in NVCP
V-Sync OFF in-game
Reflex ON or ON+Boost in-game

... however, NULL only works with DX 9-11 titles, so NULL would need to be manually disabled and a frame cap implemented every time I plan to play a DX 12 game. That is was more hassle than I'd like to get into, so what are my optimal settings for my "set it and forget it" preference? Should I ignore LL modes and just use GSYNC+VSYNC+FPS cap?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: New Gaming PC Owner, G-Sync + V-Sync + Null Discourse is Making my Brain Bleed

Post by RealNC » 22 Feb 2024, 08:27

Custerly wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 12:40
... however, NULL only works with DX 9-11 titles, so NULL would need to be manually disabled and a frame cap implemented every time I plan to play a DX 12 game. That is was more hassle than I'd like to get into, so what are my optimal settings for my "set it and forget it" preference? Should I ignore LL modes and just use GSYNC+VSYNC+FPS cap?
You don't need to disable it. If it doesn't work, it means it just won't do anything, just as if you had disabled it.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

squeakerdev

Re: New Gaming PC Owner, G-Sync + V-Sync + Null Discourse is Making my Brain Bleed

Post by squeakerdev » 22 Feb 2024, 11:32

I have the exact same question. As a follow-up question: will the "set it and forget it" settings that OP asked for be affected by NVIDIA Reflex?

I'm specifically looking at Overwatch 2, which has Reflex support. I've read somewhere that NULL Ultra isn't great with Reflex. How would this affect the optimal settings?

squeakerdev

Post by squeakerdev » 22 Feb 2024, 21:06

Update:

Been running GSYNC, no VSYNC, NULL Ultra, Reflex On + Boost, 237 FPS cap for Overwatch 2. Seems to be ideal for me so far - will update if I change anything, just in case somebody had the same question for OW.

People say that NULL at the same time as Reflex can be worse than just one enabled, but I found an immediate improvement with both enabled, compared to only Reflex.

Maybe these settings are subpar but have become what I'm used to!

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 23 Feb 2024, 11:09

squeakerdev wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 21:06
People say that NULL at the same time as Reflex can be worse than just one enabled, but I found an immediate improvement with both enabled, compared to only Reflex.
Unless you're experiencing a glitch, Reflex overrides LLM, as it's considered its replacement.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Custerly

Post by Custerly » 28 Mar 2024, 14:33

RealNC wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 08:27
Custerly wrote:
You don't need to disable it. If it doesn't work, it means it just won't do anything, just as if you had disabled it.
But does leaving NULL on along with a frame cap not cause any issuies? I thought it would.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 29 Mar 2024, 06:51

Custerly wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 14:33
But does leaving NULL on along with a frame cap not cause any issuies? I thought it would.
I don't see why it would. That's how I use it, in fact. NULL with a frame cap together. NULL helps when a game is unable to reach the cap when GPU-bound.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

MachinaDiscipulus

Post by MachinaDiscipulus » 13 Apr 2024, 17:31

Custerly wrote:
Hi all,

I have a L:egion Pro 5i RTX 4070 coming in the mail and I'm super excited. Coming from 2 decades as a strictly console player.

As I wait for the package to arrive, I'm reading up on recommended system-level settings for optimal performance. One area where I'm having real difficulty finding a unified consensus is regarding the optimal solution to avoid frame tearing, stuttering, and input latency. It seems like you guys here are very renowned for your knowledge on this stuff, so I'm going to trust whatever you say. The problem is that even after reading posts about this subject here, I remain exremely confused.

It seems like the common wisdom on the subject says to do this:
G-Sync and V-Sync ON in NVCP
NULL set to Ultra in NVCP
V-Sync OFF in-game
Reflex ON or ON+Boost in-game

Support for NULL in Directx 12 games was added in driver version 551.23! Only Vulkan games do not work in NULL to date (here's hoping that we shall also get support for it soon).
OS: Windows 11 x64 Home CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 MOBO: ASUS TUF Z370 PLUS Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 3200MHz GPU: ASUS TUF X3 GeForce 1660 Super SSD: WD Black SN750 NVMe 1TB Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG249Q