240hz panel limit to 144FPS for optimal smoothness?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
tofues

240hz panel limit to 144FPS for optimal smoothness?

Post by tofues » 19 Aug 2017, 13:57

should i limit my 240hz monitor to 144 FPS (in game) in order to prevent micro stuttering? the gsync ceiling to prevent V-SYNC-level input lag is at 2 frames (3 to be sure) from maximum hz of panel. the gsync ceiling to prevent micro stuttering is 144hz, after that it may occur but screen tearing is still eliminated. is this correct? thanks for your time!

jorimt

Re: 240hz panel limit to 144FPS for optimal smoothness?

Post by jorimt » 19 Aug 2017, 14:30

If you limit your framerate to 144 FPS at 240Hz, you're simply robbing yourself of a potential extra 96 FPS. A -3 FPS limit (237 FPS) at 240Hz is plenty to avoid the G-SYNC ceiling.

As for the microstuttering you mentioned, G-SYNC can't cause that, so it must be something else; I'd need more details to diagnose.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

tofues

Post by tofues » 19 Aug 2017, 15:14

jorimt wrote:If you limit your framerate to 144 FPS at 240Hz, you're simply robbing yourself of a potential extra 96 FPS. A -3 FPS limit (237 FPS) at 240Hz is plenty to avoid the G-SYNC ceiling.

As for the microstuttering you mentioned, G-SYNC can't cause that, so it must be something else; I'd need more details to diagnose.
oh i don't have the monitor yet i'm only learning. i think i may be misunderstanding, i thought the gsync (+vsync) range was to 144hz and anything after that the tearing is still eliminated but stuttering may occur. i have not been considering a frame limit in place, i'm understanding now. thanks! :oops:

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Aug 2017, 15:23

If you have GSYNC turned on, variable frame rates don't have stutter.

Frame rates can continually change without stutters caused by frame rate changes.

That's a benefit of GSYNC and FreeSync.

Simulated demo: https://www.testufo.com/#test=stutter&demo=gsync

Frame rate limits for GSYNC/FreeSync are really only beneficial to fix problems such as sudden-lag-increase when framerates try to exceed refresh rate. E.g. 235fps cap for 240Hz GSYNC.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

tofues

Post by tofues » 19 Aug 2017, 15:50

Chief Blur Buster wrote:If you have GSYNC turned on, variable frame rates don't have stutter.

Frame rates can continually change without stutters caused by frame rate changes.

That's a benefit of GSYNC and FreeSync.

Simulated demo: https://www.testufo.com/#test=stutter&demo=gsync

Frame rate limits for GSYNC/FreeSync are really only beneficial to fix problems such as sudden-lag-increase when framerates try to exceed refresh rate. E.g. 235fps cap for 240Hz GSYNC.
thanks! :oops:

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Aug 2017, 20:11

Microstutters can still be caused by mouse and game engines. Getting a better mouse can reduce microstutters during high-Hz operation and GSYNC operation.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 19 Aug 2017, 23:33

From personal experience, the majority of microstutter is caused by in-game frame limiters. In these cases, using RTSS instead of the in-game limiter completely fixes microstutter.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.