Blur Buster's G-SYNC 101 Series Discussion

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Blur Buster's G-SYNC 101 Series Discussion

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Sep 2017, 01:16

daninthemix wrote:I settled on disabling G-sync globally, and only enabling it on games that I know are in risk of dropping below 60fps (Far Cry 3, etc), along with a 57fps cap where beneficial.

Unfortunately there's still not much choice around 4K G-sync and overclocking my monitor was one of the first things I tried - wouldnt even go to 61hz (pretty much flatout says it isn't OCable on the Acer specs too).
Ouch. Thanks for letting me know...
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

0134RY73

Post by 0134RY73 » 19 Sep 2017, 05:52

So what's the best way to set up Gsync now? its getting confusing with Fast Sync! is it still Vsync on and cap a few frames under the monitors refresh rate?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 19 Sep 2017, 05:58

0134RY73 wrote:So what's the best way to set up Gsync now? its getting confusing with Fast Sync! is it still Vsync on and cap a few frames under the monitors refresh rate?
Yes.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

sippycup

Post by sippycup » 19 Sep 2017, 11:18

Guys, how to get rid the flickering stall issue (its like small brightness fluctuate) ex : in loading menu, sometime main menu, or heavy loading in openworld gameplay.
Is this only happen on TN Gsync panel?

How is your IPS Gsync Panel?
Which gsync monitor have completely zero flickering even on loading screen

Thx

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Sep 2017, 12:12

Is this LCD inversion type patterned/lines flickering? http://www.testufo.com/inversion

This is caused when G-SYNC falls suddenly to 30Hz in menus, and this can cause slow LCD flicker from the positive/negative voltages of the LCD inversion electronics. This is more common on some TN panels, but it's invisible on my ASUS ROG PG278Q (I don't see flicker) so it doesn't affect all TN panels universally. IPS panels are less prone to this type of artifact, although they have somewhat more motion blur than TN.

Or is it a different type of flicker? (e.g. backlight brightness flicker)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

sippycup

Post by sippycup » 19 Sep 2017, 13:20

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Is this LCD inversion type patterned/lines flickering? http://www.testufo.com/inversion

This is caused when G-SYNC falls suddenly to 30Hz in menus, and this can cause slow LCD flicker from the positive/negative voltages of the LCD inversion electronics. This is more common on some TN panels, but it's invisible on my ASUS ROG PG278Q (I don't see flicker) so it doesn't affect all TN panels universally. IPS panels are less prone to this type of artifact, although they have somewhat more motion blur than TN.

Or is it a different type of flicker? (e.g. backlight brightness flicker)
Hi, my knowledge about monitor is minimal :D but as a newb trying to describe it, its like slight minimal brightness fluctuates/flicker in upper screen, most noticeable in loading screen maybe same issue with this article.

http://techreport.com/news/27449/g-sync ... some-games

Its very minimal flicker while in gameplay almost zero flicker, only i hate it when loading screen.

I think if the loading screen not flickering, it would be perfect gsync monitor for me.

Is the PG278Q has zero flicker even in game loading screen? Thankyou

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Sep 2017, 15:20

Yes, it's partially related. That said, it is very LCD dependant on how they flicker at lower refresh rates (pixel relaxing, inversion vibility, etc) -- both cause flicker.

PG278Q is an older GSYNC monitor now.

Faster LCDs have less motion blur but likely more prone to the flicker issue. I would imagine that IPS G-SYNC monitors are less prone to this issue, and the good thing is that they can fall to extremely low refresh rates without visible flicker issues.

As far as I know, I haven't heard of strongly-visible inversion or flicker behaviors on these IPS 165 Hz G-SYNC monitors:

- ASUS PG279Q
- Acer Predator XB271HU
- AOC AG271QG
- Viewsonic XG2703-GS

IPS is slower response than TN, but your eyes might prefer the colors/stability of IPS. Many forum swear by these monitors.

sippycup

Post by sippycup » 19 Sep 2017, 23:20

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Yes, it's partially related. That said, it is very LCD dependant on how they flicker at lower refresh rates (pixel relaxing, inversion vibility, etc) -- both cause flicker.

PG278Q is an older GSYNC monitor now.

Faster LCDs have less motion blur but likely more prone to the flicker issue. I would imagine that IPS G-SYNC monitors are less prone to this issue, and the good thing is that they can fall to extremely low refresh rates without visible flicker issues.

As far as I know, I haven't heard of strongly-visible inversion or flicker behaviors on these IPS 165 Hz G-SYNC monitors:

- ASUS PG279Q
- Acer Predator XB271HU
- AOC AG271QG
- Viewsonic XG2703-GS

IPS is slower response than TN, but your eyes might prefer the colors/stability of IPS. Many forum swear by these monitors.
Yes i want stability, im thinking to upgrade my current gsync TN panel to gsync IPS.

Thanks for the help Chief.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Sep 2017, 14:26

You're welcome!

Laptops usually use IPS screens and they dynamically lower refresh rate with static images without being noticed -- IPS has historically very well-suited to refresh rate power-management, and that has translated very well to stability during GSYNC operation as well. Current Apple iPads all use screens very similar to IPS, and their ProMotion variable refresh rate doesn't have any flicker effects. This provides more evidence that IPS screens are less prone to flicker-effects from VRR.

ViTosS

Post by ViTosS » 21 Sep 2017, 08:59

Hey guys, I have a question, the optimal way for the less input lag at the moment is still G-Sync ON and V-Sync ON in NVCP, right? But why I have to set framerate limit in RTSS to 141fps (144hz) if the V-Sync ON at NVCP is already putting my FPS limit ingame to 144fps? Do I need RTSS limit too? Thank you!