Does GSYNC Chip Module VRR Range is Customable?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
sippycup

Does GSYNC Chip Module VRR Range is Customable?

Post by sippycup » 26 Aug 2022, 20:57

Hello everyone,

Yesterday i got chance to try a freesync monitor for my secondary system as a work PC, it a Samsung S24R350 (1080p, IPS, Freesync 48-75Hz) paired with RX570 + R7 2700X + HDD

My main PC is RTX 3080Ti + i9 10900K + NVME SSD & DELL S2417DG (1440p, TN, Gsync Hardware Module 30-165Hz on paper) yet in reality it can go to 15-165Hz (Idk why)
Example : (sorry for the lag, i did it on purpose to show minimum gsync range)
phpBB [video]

Out of curiosity i tried gaming on my secondary PC, in purpose to findout "will it suffer from faint flicker (inversion?) that sometime happen on my main PC?" such in loading screen or ingame menu or mmorpg games that has ton of inventory items UI menu or wardrobe UI menu that cause a big spike down of frametime/FPS everytime i open it, It down to im sure can be called freeze level for millisec to one or two second and then jump back again into smooth playable state frametime/FPS. This introduce some faint flicker due to this spike drop behavior.

Turn out this freesync monitor didnt suffer from faint flicker issue, despite theyre entry IPS monitor but it did VRR without any faint flicker than my main PC. it just stable whatever i throw at it, call it in ingame menu, loading screen, worst mmorpg UI menu with ton of items that cause big spike drop. What i notice is, everytime i reproduce the sudden spike drop behavior the VRR just jump back to 75Hz because it spike down below the minimum threshold (48Hz). It did freeze for millisec (game engine fault) the same like my main PC but atleast it didnt faint flicker.

But in my main Gsync PC, it just drop refresh rate to the low like the minimum threshold is 15Hz, im thinking this could be the culprit why it faint flicker, at that such low Hz + TN panel limitation.

While IPS panel handle better + the minimum VRR threshold range of 48Hz may also help avoid that low hz inversion faint flicker when it spike/millisec freeze/stall happen (Correct me if im wrong).

So it made me think, is Gsync module monitor can do a custom VRR range set through CRU? I want to set it 48-165Hz (I dont want deal with such low refresh rate like 15hz+ 30hz+ range) or am i stuck? i still like my current monitor tho due to the size of 24inch 1440p, it just nice ppi density and i also always prefer smaller monitor.

I tried to find it, but seem most guide is about custom VRR range is for freesync.

Thankyou

sippycup

Re: Does GSYNC Chip Module VRR Range is Customable?

Post by sippycup » 27 Aug 2022, 10:18

I change these two value in screenshot below, and it didn't work, it still dip to 15Hz

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Aug 2022, 17:50

Unfortunately, my experience is that NVIDIA drivers often does not honor ToastyX EDID VRR range overrides.

AMD cards do, though.

Also, G-SYNC native modules (not plain G-SYNC Compatible which is just NVIDIA's name for "FreeSync") tend to ignore the ToastyX VRR range setting.

When it comes to panels with a VRR-max of 240Hz or higher, I prefer a higher min-Hz, such as 55 or 65, since LFC can have better quality sometimes than native low Hz, depending on the panel technology and its low-Hz VRR quality (e.g. flickering artifacts at low Hz). LFC penalties becomes progressively tinier, the higher max Hz becomes, and at some point, it's favourable to raise the min Hz threshold.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

sippycup

Post by sippycup » 31 Aug 2022, 20:52

Hi Chief, thanks for your reply.

Yes youre right, I also did ask Toasty and its confirmed proprietary native G-SYNC range can't be change.
The tools work for Freesync/Gsync Compatible.
When it comes to panels with a VRR-max of 240Hz or higher, I prefer a higher min-Hz, such as 55 or 65, since LFC can have better quality sometimes than native low Hz, depending on the panel technology and its low-Hz VRR quality (e.g. flickering artifacts at low Hz).
This also what i thought and tried to do. I didn't realize my monitor can hit 15Hz after 3yr+ use. Only recent after i got back to old MMORPG games, this genre are the worst encounter, lot of bad spike frame drop.

Made me wonder why nvidia set native Gsync range to be as low as that or maybe it depend how the panel manufacturer to set it. Because what reason or benefit of vrr sync when it reach the floor such in low refresh (example mine 15hz) it unpleasanty hard to move cursor, yet it can also expose some low hz artifact issue in some panel type.