Acer XB270HA 27" 1080p 144hz

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
0134RY73

Re: Acer XB270HA 27" 1080p 144hz

Post by 0134RY73 » 16 Jan 2015, 09:05

I have this Monitor and I love it :) you won't be disappointed.

OutlawXGP

Post by OutlawXGP » 16 Jan 2015, 09:17

0134RY73 wrote:I have this Monitor and I love it :) you won't be disappointed.

That's really good to hear mate, but can you be a little more specific when it comes to things like the black levels in dark environments? I mean do the colours look washed out and blacks look gray to you?

0134RY73

Post by 0134RY73 » 16 Jan 2015, 09:24

Blacks look fine to me you have gamma 1.9, 2.2, 2.5 and gaming to choose. Colours are great I think its an 8 bit panel. Before this monitor I had the Asus VG248QE and Benq XL2420Z and the Acer has a much better picture. Also 27in & 1080p is fine :) I too was worried about going 27 inch and believe me its no different than 24in.

OutlawXGP

Post by OutlawXGP » 16 Jan 2015, 10:23

0134RY73 wrote:Blacks look fine to me you have gamma 1.9, 2.2, 2.5 and gaming to choose. Colours are great I think its an 8 bit panel. Before this monitor I had the Asus VG248QE and Benq XL2420Z and the Acer has a much better picture. Also 27in & 1080p is fine :) I too was worried about going 27 inch and believe me its no different than 24in.

Yes both the BenQ and the Asus suffer from Washed out / Gray Picture, do the colours look good out of the box?

Edit: Sorry for my constant questions, its just that I have purchased 4 monitors so far and every one of them had some kind of an issue, I bought a cheap TN asus before which suffered from extremely poor washed out colours which I sent back then I bought a Samsung IPS which had a really bad golden glow in 3 corners of the screen, next I got a VA panel the EIZO Foris I forgot the model number for it but anyway it had great black levels but a whole bunch of other issues like massive light bleed on the side and crosshatching and so on. I am very afraid to try out new screens lol.

Lok

Post by Lok » 16 Jan 2015, 12:32

As usually I'm sorry for my English!

I can't really give credit to the prad review. How can they give a "satisfactory" result to the Acer and the max score to the Benq XL2430T???

This is what you may read at the end of the Acer review:

"In a gaming monitor, it usually comes at the speed of it and the Acer has XB270HABPRZ a lot to offer. There is also a 144Hz display and Nvidia G-Sync, which is enough for a decent gaming performance. But is that really enough for a monitor? From our perspective, it comes with a display also on image quality and here we could not convince the Acer. Artifacts and ghosting in the highest extreme overdrive position and a viewing angle of more narrowly passes as satisfactory, here the gaming monitor remains far below its potential.

No question, the build quality and ergonomic features are managed, but that can Appreciation unfortunately not improve. In addition, a piano black surface appears now out of date. A real faux pas of Acer allowed in the Soft-Off and Standby mode, as it continues to be consumed 12 watts of power. Fortunately, the monitor has a power switch and can be completely disconnected from the mains.

Overall, the Acer XB270HABPRZ leaves a streaky impression that he simply wasted potential in diverse fields."

Are they really criticizing the monitor for having "artifacts and ghosting in the highest extreme overdrive psotion"? Every single gaming monitor suffers from the same issue including the Benq. That's why no one use that position.

In other aspects like Contrast the Acer achieves a calibrated value of 987:1 where the Benq achieves 875:1.

They have a similar image quality after calibration. So I just can't see how the Acer only receives a "average" score. Seems to me that the problem with this monitor is his brand...

OutlawXGP

Post by OutlawXGP » 16 Jan 2015, 12:52

Lok wrote:As usually I'm sorry for my English!

I can't really give credit to the prad review. How can they give a "satisfactory" result to the Acer and the max score to the Benq XL2430T???

This is what you may read at the end of the Acer review:

"In a gaming monitor, it usually comes at the speed of it and the Acer has XB270HABPRZ a lot to offer. There is also a 144Hz display and Nvidia G-Sync, which is enough for a decent gaming performance. But is that really enough for a monitor? From our perspective, it comes with a display also on image quality and here we could not convince the Acer. Artifacts and ghosting in the highest extreme overdrive position and a viewing angle of more narrowly passes as satisfactory, here the gaming monitor remains far below its potential.

No question, the build quality and ergonomic features are managed, but that can Appreciation unfortunately not improve. In addition, a piano black surface appears now out of date. A real faux pas of Acer allowed in the Soft-Off and Standby mode, as it continues to be consumed 12 watts of power. Fortunately, the monitor has a power switch and can be completely disconnected from the mains.

Overall, the Acer XB270HABPRZ leaves a streaky impression that he simply wasted potential in diverse fields."

Are they really criticizing the monitor for having "artifacts and ghosting in the highest extreme overdrive psotion"? Every single gaming monitor suffers from the same issue including the Benq. That's why no one use that position.

In other aspects like Contrast the Acer achieves a calibrated value of 987:1 where the Benq achieves 875:1.

They have a similar image quality after calibration. So I just can't see how the Acer only receives a "average" score. Seems to me that the problem with this monitor is his brand...
I do agree that not all reviews can be reliable, but I have done some research about the 144hz BenQ monitors and a lot of people are commenting about the washed out colour reproduction and crappy gray looking black levels that have no depth at all and that's one of the reasons that put me off from buying one. In my opinion that is not a good trade off just so you can have a High refresh rate and low response time screen unless your only aim is to play FPS games.

Now this Acer sounds like is a decent screen but I like to hear a bit more from people about its black levels and colour reproduction, 0134RY73 has kindly provided his feedback but I also like to hear more from a few others, I really appreciate it guys!

silverfoxxxx

Post by silverfoxxxx » 17 Jan 2015, 06:37

I find the monitor to be great, much better than I originally thought it would be, the colours are good but are not upto new ips standards they compare to my 4 year old dell monitor when viewing straight on well, especially with the profile from earlier in the thread.

You must remember it is a gaming monitor first and for this it is amazing, G Sync and ULMB work very well and you won't want to go back, 1080p at 27" is fine for me and I do not overly notice any issues, bigger text is easier to read.., and again for gaming it's great as you need an expensive set up to run a 1440p 144hz monitor to its potential as 1080p is standard for most gfx cards.

Also the colours can come in better as you drop the hz setting in nvidia control panel so you can drop it back to 120hz and below to achieve a less 'washed out' look if you are not hitting the high frame rates in certain games and colour is more important.

OutlawXGP

Post by OutlawXGP » 17 Jan 2015, 09:41

silverfoxxxx wrote:I find the monitor to be great, much better than I originally thought it would be, the colours are good but are not upto new ips standards they compare to my 4 year old dell monitor when viewing straight on well, especially with the profile from earlier in the thread.

You must remember it is a gaming monitor first and for this it is amazing, G Sync and ULMB work very well and you won't want to go back, 1080p at 27" is fine for me and I do not overly notice any issues, bigger text is easier to read.., and again for gaming it's great as you need an expensive set up to run a 1440p 144hz monitor to its potential as 1080p is standard for most gfx cards.

Also the colours can come in better as you drop the hz setting in nvidia control panel so you can drop it back to 120hz and below to achieve a less 'washed out' look if you are not hitting the high frame rates in certain games and colour is more important.

Hi thanks a lot for your input, when you say "washed out" are the colours not very clear and vibrant with a gray tint on them in general?, Because I had a cheaper TN monitor before Asus VN247H 24 and you wouldn't believe how bad and washed out the colours were.

silverfoxxxx

Post by silverfoxxxx » 17 Jan 2015, 10:45

To be honest now it is set up properly I don't really notice the colours to be washed out, in a side by side with an ips it would be noticeable but I already don't notice it anymore, also out of the box mine was awful and I thought I made a mistake buying it but when calibrated with the info from this thread I find it great, as I said compared to my old ips I can't tell the diff really, unless I sit not straight on but this has always been TN's biggest downfall.

Would I buy it again, yes definitely, there are some new panels coming over the next few months that have g sync and are ips but the first batch seem to be higher res I.e. 1440p which again would need a better gfx card set up to take advantage of so for me no good really, my gtx 970 keeps this monitor over 100fps in most games with high settings so 1080p is it for high hz gaming.

Alamar

Post by Alamar » 17 Jan 2015, 11:21

It would be maybe interesting to compare colors of this 8bit tn (Acer and Rog Swift) with good c. profile to Eizo fg2421.
Btw if this Acer is really 8bit without dithering is still a mystery, Acer official site don't advertise this, as far as I know only one shop was claiming this.