I got the ROG Swift (PG278Q) -- my tests

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
karl

Re: I got the ROG Swift (PG278Q) -- my tests

Post by karl » 24 Aug 2014, 05:50

Battlefield 4
This was my first game i tested on the ROG Swift. And holy crap. It was phenomeneal and still is.
Gaming @2560x1440 screen resoution with 4xMSAA is really a high impact of picture quality compared to 1080p. I still sitting in front of the monitor 50cm away. To get an higher immersion i put my nose on the screen and its still crisp and clean. I was near the bottom Tower of Shanghai, looking at the water and – awesome. It's for me something like getting a 3D effect, but still playing on 2D. I think i was there at this place.

Even picture quality getting far better, the gameplay of Battlefield 4 was more fluid than playing on my old Samsung SA950D@120Hz 1080p Monitor. You must see it to believe. So when you buying this monitor you get:
Far better picture quality in games than TN-Panels with 1080p beacuse of the 1440p screen resolution
Gameplay feels totally smooth and it seems you getting more FPS compared to my old screen with 1080p
Nice Review but I would like to say I am finding it a little hard to be leave "2560x1440 screen resolution with 4xMSAA & Ultra and its totally smooth" ..I have the same monitor same cpu but 2x780 cards as to your 1x780ti yet if i set BF4 to ultra and 4xAA I get tones of on screen stuttering and need to turn off AA before its smooth again ..

Please make a with recording shadowplay to show me this because I am starting to think there is some thing wrong with my setup or my monitor ..

whitestar

Post by whitestar » 24 Aug 2014, 05:54

rob_IDDQD wrote:For my expirence with G-Sync now, it worked really good when you play above 50 fps. Playing above 50fps, in every situation the gameplay feels fluid and jaw breaking awesome. No tearing, no input lag, no stutter, and still for me low motion blur.
Hi and thanks for writing the review. I was wondering a bit about what you write above. I was under the impression that G-SYNC does not reduce motion blur. Does the increased smoothness of G-SYNC "mask" the motion blur in some ways maybe? Or make it less noticable?

karl

Post by karl » 24 Aug 2014, 06:14

whitestar wrote:
rob_IDDQD wrote:For my expirence with G-Sync now, it worked really good when you play above 50 fps. Playing above 50fps, in every situation the gameplay feels fluid and jaw breaking awesome. No tearing, no input lag, no stutter, and still for me low motion blur.
Hi and thanks for writing the review. I was wondering a bit about what you write above. I was under the impression that G-SYNC does not reduce motion blur. Does the increased smoothness of G-SYNC "mask" the motion blur in some ways maybe? Or make it less noticable?

No it don't all it does is stop tearing and ?stuttering? not lower the motion blur .. Take away the Gsync all your left with is a normal 144hz monitor that is 1440p drop that to 1080p its a normal monitor in terms of motion blur .. ULMB is the one that lowers the motion blur bring it closer to a CTR gaming monitor . Or turning off Gsync and using nothing but 144hz the game looks a feel like normal monitor ...

And none of the above is a guarantee that it will stop stuttering I still get stuttering even Nvidia them self's have said its not 100% fix to stutter yet there adds say it is does stop stuttering strange ...

Quote :From Asus clearly layed out by nvidia states "ENJOY A SMOOTH, STUTTER-FREE GAMING EXPERIENCE"
http://www.asus.com/Monitors/ROG_SWIFT_PG278Q/

Denial

Post by Denial » 29 Aug 2014, 07:23

Rothron wrote:You're not seeing any of the artifacts described in this thread?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.ph ... post425033
Yep -- I posted there too. I haven't tried 3D mode but I notice it all over the place now in 2D after someone initially pointed it out. It seems far worse in brighter colors like light greens and blues.

It really kills the monitor for me -- I want to RMA and try to get one without the issue but it seems like it's so widespread that it might just effect all of them, just that some people may not notice it.

Rothron

Post by Rothron » 01 Sep 2014, 04:08

it seems like it's so widespread that it might just effect all of them, just that some people may not notice it.
That's what I'm guessing, still there are some people claiming that they do not have this issue, even in 3D mode where it's usually very visible. I really hope some of them start posting pictures so I can see for myself.

I'm regretting not writing down the serial numbers on the two screens I tested. It might be limited to specific production runs.

Dimand

Post by Dimand » 01 Sep 2014, 06:11

Rothron wrote:
it seems like it's so widespread that it might just effect all of them, just that some people may not notice it.
That's what I'm guessing, still there are some people claiming that they do not have this issue, even in 3D mode where it's usually very visible. I really hope some of them start posting pictures so I can see for myself.

I'm regretting not writing down the serial numbers on the two screens I tested. It might be limited to specific production runs.
I've been putting mine through some tests and I am yet to notice it, even when looking for it. Is there a reliable way to reproduce it obviously? Happy to take images though I'm not sure I have a fast enough camera.

Overall I have been pretty happy. I have however found a single green dead pixel on the top edge to the right. Not sure if it was there to begin with and I just missed it. Its not in a critical place so i'm cool with it as long as no more show up.

grahnen

Post by grahnen » 02 Sep 2014, 15:14

I've been putting mine through some tests and I am yet to notice it, even when looking for it. Is there a reliable way to reproduce it obviously? Happy to take images though I'm not sure I have a fast enough camera.
This is the easiest way for me to see it. Move your sight in a circle inside a first person shoter game.
Screen number 1 (production date July)
I think screen door effect was ok, never noiticed
Glowing red pixels in middle of screen. (FAIL)

Screen number 2 (production date July) (ASUS QC Passed sign)
A little screen door effect.
Better Blacks and more vibrant
Scrolling grey text without OD makes the text green for a second. (FAIL)
Green glow around moving objects with OD on.

Screen number 3 (production date August)
Alot of screen door effect (FAIL)
More washed out and less vibrant
Scrolling is fine.

I have compared (2 and 3) side by side. But I have turned back screen number 1 and 2 now. And also number 3 in a couple of days.

nefrusy

Post by nefrusy » 11 Sep 2014, 14:55

Chief Blur Buster wrote: ... [info about inversion artifacts]

It has been an issue that has bedeviled LCDs for a long time (even IPS panels to a lesser extent). It showed up on the BENQ XL2411T, XL2420Z, ASUS VG248QE, EIZO FG2421. However, it did appear that certain monitor models has more intense inversion artifacts. I cannot comment yet on details on the ROG before the review release date, however, I wanted to chime in that inversion artifacts tend to be normal, while some displays may have it more intense inversion artifacts than average.
Chief, can you comment on it now? I have been seeing some complaints about pixel inversion with the ROG Swift, and I'm wondering if it's bad enough for me to look for a different G-Sync display instead. Apparently it appears more often for a transition from light to dark (ex. moving green text above avatars in WoW), and it's also a nuisance in 3D Vision.

My other question is, is there any hope that ASUS could fix the issue with a firmware update, or is it simply a hardware issue that won't go away?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 13 Sep 2014, 14:11

Seems like a panel lottery here?
Like some people have it and some people don't have it at all. Like the panels with that huge giant gray splotch (bad enough to rma immediately) while some other panels didn't have it at all.

The VG248QE had scanlines artifacts like this, usually around top right, when the monitor was running at high refresh rates or lightboost, which pushed the panel to the edge of specifications, but it was a lottery; some panels barely had it at all, while some had it quite badly.

nefrusy

Post by nefrusy » 14 Nov 2014, 08:41

Falkentyne wrote:Seems like a panel lottery here?
Like some people have it and some people don't have it at all. Like the panels with that huge giant gray splotch (bad enough to rma immediately) while some other panels didn't have it at all.

The VG248QE had scanlines artifacts like this, usually around top right, when the monitor was running at high refresh rates or lightboost, which pushed the panel to the edge of specifications, but it was a lottery; some panels barely had it at all, while some had it quite badly.
I guess it's possible that the scanlines (aka pixel inversion) artifacts are worse on some panels than others, but I am guessing a lot of it has to do with the user... some people may notice it more than others. I actually took a chance and picked up a Swift yesterday from Micro Center. I can definitely see the artifacts in some instances, but it really doesn't distract or annoy me. I knew what to expect, after watching a video someone posted of WOW, where the bright green names of characters streak across the screen and have the interlaced look. I'd suggest others watch it if they are on the fence about buying the Swift, but are worried about the inversion being a problem for them. (Be sure to watch it full screen at max quality to really see the pixel inversion effect)

phpBB [video]