DLSS 3 Frame-Gen with G-Sync & FPS limiters

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Dan_G_303

DLSS 3 Frame-Gen with G-Sync & FPS limiters

Post by Dan_G_303 » 28 Sep 2023, 08:28

Hi all, I've been searching the forums and guides on here and some other sites, and can't find much new info on how to use G-sync, fps limiters, and DLSS 3 frame-generation together optimally.

My understanding is that when frame-gen first became available it didn't even properly support V-sync, but apparently that's been (somewhat?) fixed now.

I also found on another thread some suggestions that (at least in Cyberpunk) fps limiters (in game or driver level) will limit the pre-interpolated frame rate, so the output frame rate becomes double the set fps limit when frame-gen is on.

I also couldn't find decent info on how Reflex now fits in. As far as I know Reflex should (automatically?) always be on when frame-gen is used. Before frame-gen was available, one part of Reflex was that it limited fps slightly below the monitor refresh rate to minimise input lag.

Does anyone know if this info so far is accurate? and/or is there a decent way to have the optimal G-sync setup? (ie. G-sync + V-sync on + fps limit slightly below monitor refresh rate [applied via Reflex or other fps limiters]).

Thanks.

jorimt

Re: DLSS 3 Frame-Gen with G-Sync & FPS limiters

Post by jorimt » 28 Sep 2023, 08:39

Dan_G_303 wrote:
28 Sep 2023, 08:28
To start, see:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12261
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Dan_G_303

Post by Dan_G_303 » 28 Sep 2023, 08:56

Thanks jorimt, that's great. Sounds like Reflex does still work as the fps limiter in the "Stutter guard" role.

Do you know what the deal is with v-sync in this scenario? Can you do the normal G-sync ON + V-sync ON setup? Can you/should you force V-sync on? I haven't got a 40 series card currently so can't experiment.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 28 Sep 2023, 14:55

Dan_G_303 wrote:
28 Sep 2023, 08:56
Do you know what the deal is with v-sync in this scenario? Can you do the normal G-sync ON + V-sync ON setup? Can you/should you force V-sync on? I haven't got a 40 series card currently so can't experiment.
I currently have no G-SYNC + FG-specific recommendations. FG is still too early in its development to offer reliable or lasting advice; it's changing and advancing every release.

Just be aware FG is currently not ideal where frame pacing and latency are concerned, and it should really only be resorted to if your system absolutely can't reach an acceptable average framerate when the more demanding/advanced settings like RT are enabled.

Until further advancement, it's basically a novelty feature with quirks and limitations that must be accepted if/when used.

As for its use with G-SYNC, in my limited experience with FG in a couple of games, FG doesn't not work with G-SYNC + V-SYNC.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Oct 2023, 07:44

jorimt wrote:
28 Sep 2023, 14:55
Just be aware FG is currently not ideal where frame pacing and latency are concerned, and it should really only be resorted to if your system absolutely can't reach an acceptable average framerate when the more demanding/advanced settings like RT are enabled.

Until further advancement, it's basically a novelty feature with quirks and limitations that must be accepted if/when used.
This is true. That being said -- strobing is a gimmick to many -- as is VRR too -- so what is gimmick to one may not be to another.

They may still be big or small niches (to varying extents), but it appears that framegen is becoming a viable motion blur reduction technology alternative (to strobing/ULMB) as per Blur Busters namesake. So Blur Busters will be increasingly big-time on framegen over time, as tech advances, as you say.

The benefits starts to outweigh the disadvantages for solo gaming if you need a larger framegen ratio (e.g. 4x+), combined with a dislike of flicker-based motion blur reduction (e.g. ULMB/DyAc/etc), combined with a display that has more dramatic clarity improvements with frame rate increases (e.g. OLED instead of LCD).

It can be display tech dependant (to a certain extent), where framerate increases are more visible or not. If you're on an LCD and only getting 1.5x more framerate, the benefits of interpolation framegen going 90->120fps will definitely be marginal (and less than the framerate increase ratio, due to LCD GtG). But if using an OLED, and able to get 2-3x more framerate with the help of interpolation, you will get more benefit from the framerate increase due to the combined benefit of a bigger multiple AND faster GtG.

To some, even 60fps still sometimes doesn't feel smooth enough OLED (Compared to LCD) if you're used to ultra-high framerates, due to the phenomenon of faster GtG making 60fps feel less smooth. So even at 60fps, you may still use interpolation-based framegen with OLEDs to alleviate this factor;

We're at the location where we're borderline -- ideally we need larger framegen ratios for laggier interpolation-based framegen to be reasonably attractive -- but it is not necessarily a gimmick to everyone, especially if they get headaches from stutters/flicker/etc. Many considered VRR to be a gimmick (and still do).

For the esports audience, they will have to wait for lagless framegen to arrive.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Haste

Post by Haste » 04 Oct 2023, 08:03

Certainly not a gimmick to me.
I'm all about high frame rates for the visual aspect of it:
- Increased fluidity
- eye tracking motion blur reduction
- reduction of the sizes of the stroboscopic steps (Most important aspect to me)

I would like all my interaction with my screen to involve high frame rates that match with my monitor capabilities.
Frame Generation sounds to me like the killer feature that can make my dream come true.

And I believe it will be ubiquitous in the future when enough people get a taste and get used to high frame rates.
You can see this happening already on consoles, where players are tolerating less and less 30fps targets.
Or in PC gaming, where many people now want 90fps instead of 60fps as 120Hz and above monitors are getting mainstream.

Also the initial cold reaction to Frame Gen ("fake frames", what's the point if it doesn't reduce input lag, ...) is changing rapidly. Players who have experienced it for the most part have been convinced, you can see this everywhere in comments on reddit/youtube, ...
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 04 Oct 2023, 09:15

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
04 Oct 2023, 07:44
what is gimmick to one may not be to another.
Haste wrote:
04 Oct 2023, 08:03
Certainly not a gimmick to me.
To be clear, I do not think FG is a "gimmick."

I chose my words very carefully when I said it was "basically a novelty," meaning, per Merriam-Webster dictionary, "new and not resembling something formerly known or used," at least where something like it has specifically been designed around and applied to gaming.

Don't get me wrong, it's probably the future (all frames are technically "fake" in gaming, after all, so calling one form of frame creation "fake" and another "real" is ultimately silly; it's merely the meshing of the two types that still needs work), the future just isn't now.

In the meantime, I'll continue to keep my eye on its development.

Again, it's simply too early on for me to personally take enough interest in it to test it thoroughly or offer pertinent advice, both of which would probably become immediately obsolete with new version releases.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Oct 2023, 18:22

Good choice of words -- sometimes novelty and gimmick are misunderstood as synonymous -- but good catch.

A brand new computer or a brand new display of major upgrade (e.g. LCD->OLED) kind of feels like a novelty until you are used to it.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!