Emulators with G-sync

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
fenderjaguar

Emulators with G-sync

Post by fenderjaguar » 19 Aug 2014, 04:48

After I got g-sync, I started to notice not many emulators that I used to use were running real full screen. They must be running in borderless window mode or something?

However when those emulators use wrappers such as mednafen or retroarch, gsync works fine. However I can't get retroarch to be smooth unless I run at the max refresh, which gives input lag, ie 60 fps on 60hz or 120 fps black frame insertion on 120hz etc. Mess also works particularly well, never stuttering, I always found that emulator (along with mame) to be highly precise and well timed in terms of frame rate.

The benefit of using emulators with g-sync of course is that there is less input lag than v-sync. And some things are running at obscure refresh rates, which can be matched by g-sync automatically, without having to make an entire custom resolution locked into a particular frequency in nvidia control panel.

Anyway, if anyone wants help with mednafen or mess, give me a shout, because some may find them to be quite difficult to use

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Emulators with G-sync

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Aug 2014, 21:36

Emulators are an interesting application of GSYNC -- the ability of a full screen emulator to drive the refresh cycles in synchrony with the emulated refreshes, without the emulator making compromises on the refresh rate. Some emulators are very GSYNC-friendly, while others aren't so GSYNC-friendly.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

whitestar

Post by whitestar » 25 Aug 2014, 03:25

Is it possible to run an Amiga emulator in 50hz PAL perfectly on a G-SYNC monitor? Or do you have to run 60hz NTSC?

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 25 Aug 2014, 04:25

Yeah, if the emulator is running 50 fps, then so the monitor will run at 50hz. But you'll have to find an amiga emulator that runs full screen, not borderless windows mode. I've never actually used an amiga emulator though. Wasn't even aware they did 50hz, I though amiga came with its own 60hz 15khz monitor to run on?

whitestar

Post by whitestar » 25 Aug 2014, 05:05

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure my Amiga outputs PAL signal, which is 50hz. I used to connect it to my old TV. I live in Europe by the way.
Edit: But I think it's interlaced if I remember correctly?
Edit2: Found this: http://oldwww.nvg.ntnu.no/amiga/amigafa ... html#SEC19

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Aug 2014, 17:30

You can run at 50Hz, but you cannot run PAL interlaced. 50Hz signal isn't necessarily the same thing as a PAL signal.

So you can run an Amiga emulator (full screen mode, 2560x1440 scaled from PAL), running at 50Hz.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Blue_Ninja0

Post by Blue_Ninja0 » 28 Apr 2015, 08:22

fenderjaguar wrote:However when those emulators use wrappers such as mednafen or retroarch, gsync works fine. However I can't get retroarch to be smooth unless I run at the max refresh, which gives input lag, ie 60 fps on 60hz or 120 fps black frame insertion on 120hz etc. Mess also works particularly well, never stuttering, I always found that emulator (along with mame) to be highly precise and well timed in terms of frame rate.

The benefit of using emulators with g-sync of course is that there is less input lag than v-sync. And some things are running at obscure refresh rates, which can be matched by g-sync automatically, without having to make an entire custom resolution locked into a particular frequency in nvidia control panel.
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I find this important for anyone pursuing perfect-sync emulation with G-Sync or FreeSync.
I managed to achieve smooth G-Sync with RetroArch. Take a look at this issue I created. I've posted my setup there:
https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/1633

I still haven't managed to achieve perfect 50Hz sync though, and I can't find out why.

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 29 Apr 2015, 08:15

Hey ninja, I'm sure I've just configured things wrong, but I don't see either "Limit Maximum Run Speed" or "Audio Sync" in my options?

Blue_Ninja0

Post by Blue_Ninja0 » 29 Apr 2015, 08:30

fenderjaguar wrote:Hey ninja, I'm sure I've just configured things wrong, but I don't see either "Limit Maximum Run Speed" or "Audio Sync" in my options?
"Limit Maximum Run Speed" should be on the General Settings
"Audio Sync" should be on the audio settings.

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 29 Apr 2015, 08:42

Yeah, not sure what I'm doing wrong here:

http://i.imgur.com/H5bhxhp.jpg