Emulators with G-sync

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Blue_Ninja0

Re: Emulators with G-sync

Post by Blue_Ninja0 » 29 Apr 2015, 17:20

Indeed. I also noticed that bsnes has inconstant multiple bands on the screen. Taking G-Sync out of the picture, of course bsnes looks butters smooth when using V-Sync at 60Hz, but when I try to use G-Sync and limit the emulation speed by the "Limit maximum run speed" (60.098hz I assume), the image doesn't seem so smooth. Given that bsnes is so accurate, maybe the original hardware also had this phenomenon?

And yeah, I've tried those settings, thanks.

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 29 Apr 2015, 17:22

Sorry, edited my post. Maybe try the nvidia driver level frame rate capping thing I did with nvidia inspector

Blue_Ninja0

Post by Blue_Ninja0 » 29 Apr 2015, 17:25

hmmm that sounds to me the best it would achieve is the same as V-Syncing at 60Hz, which we can already do perfectly on both RetroArch, MAME and Mednafen.

My objective was to be able to run the games at their original speed, be it 50Hz, 60.098Hz, 75Hz, etc and relying on G-Sync to eliminate the tearing.

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 29 Apr 2015, 17:30

What I mean to say, is that if we could cap the frame rate within 3 decimal places, instead of a straight 60 fps, then it would be perfect. I think that's maybe what's wrong with the emulator, is that the exact timing isn't right.

If you cap at 60 on nvidia driver level with no vsync no gsync, you'll see it's a lot better timing, not perfect but. The stutters are actually more noticable when they do happen, but they happen less

Blue_Ninja0

Post by Blue_Ninja0 » 29 Apr 2015, 17:44

Oh, I see what you mean. It's a possibility yes, but that can open a new can of worms about input lag and it's more of a manual workaround.
I kinda wanted to raise the attention to the appearance of variable refresh rate monitors and it's correct direct support by the emulators, so I opened the issue in RetroArch so that maybe one day they can take it into consideration and all games play at the correct Hz.