G-Sync - Laggy at <55fps, same for you ???

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
slickric21

G-Sync - Laggy at <55fps, same for you ???

Post by slickric21 » 29 Aug 2014, 05:02

Im just posting to gauge what everyone's opinion is of how G-Sync feels at lower fps.

I got my AOC GSync monitor and whilst I love it (144hz from a 60hz monitor omg!!:)) the GSync aspect is slightly disappointing for me.
I was lead to believe from reviews that it made games smooth and playable right down to 45fps even - so you can really crank up IQ settings.

However based on my testings with BF4 multiplayer anything below say 55fps and things start to get really laggy very quickly, 45fps is very sluggish.
Granted tearing is gone, but i didnt get trearing below 60fps on my old 60hz monitor anyway, only above.

Gsync is great for anything above 60fps and upwards, but im still in a position where I feel i need to upgrade my eVGA GTX 780 SC ACX to something than can give more fps so i dont go down below 60fps often.....something i thought id finally be free from with Gsync !!!!

GameLifter

Re: G-Sync - Laggy at <55fps, same for you ???

Post by GameLifter » 30 Aug 2014, 09:40

I'm getting the same thing. I have an SLI setup so I thought that was maybe causing the issue. Are you running SLI or single card?

EDIT: I just did more tests and I think I found the issue. I fired up Tomb Raider with a controller and I noticed the motion was buttery smooth when the FPS dropped into the lower 50s and upper 40s. However, when I tried moving the mouse the motion got laggy and stuttery. I then tried Crysis 3 and looked around one of the first areas using a mouse and the motion was laggy when the FPS was in the 50s. When I tried the controller it was buttery smooth.

So, it looks like it's my mouse causing the odd lagginess with G-Sysnc when it hits the lower 50s. The mouse I am using is a Razer DeathAdder 2013 and it has the recommended pooling rate of 1000hz. It's currently set to 2600 dpi. Will increasing the dpi help or is there something else I should try?

Haste

Post by Haste » 30 Aug 2014, 15:57

slickric21 wrote:Im just posting to gauge what everyone's opinion is of how G-Sync feels at lower fps.

I got my AOC GSync monitor and whilst I love it (144hz from a 60hz monitor omg!!:)) the GSync aspect is slightly disappointing for me.
I was lead to believe from reviews that it made games smooth and playable right down to 45fps even - so you can really crank up IQ settings.

However based on my testings with BF4 multiplayer anything below say 55fps and things start to get really laggy very quickly, 45fps is very sluggish.
Granted tearing is gone, but i didnt get trearing below 60fps on my old 60hz monitor anyway, only above.

Gsync is great for anything above 60fps and upwards, but im still in a position where I feel i need to upgrade my eVGA GTX 780 SC ACX to something than can give more fps so i dont go down below 60fps often.....something i thought id finally be free from with Gsync !!!!
I feel the same on my ROG SWIFT, games are pretty choppy under 60fps. It doesn't surprise me though. It's just that I'm sensible to low frame rates.
Some games also have stutter on top of low frame rates, these are just not worth playing for me.
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

GameLifter

Post by GameLifter » 30 Aug 2014, 17:34

Haste wrote:
slickric21 wrote:Im just posting to gauge what everyone's opinion is of how G-Sync feels at lower fps.

I feel the same on my ROG SWIFT, games are pretty choppy under 60fps. It doesn't surprise me though. It's just that I'm sensible to low frame rates.
Some games also have stutter on top of low frame rates, these are just not worth playing for me.
Can you test those games with a controller and see if it does the same thing?

Haste

Post by Haste » 30 Aug 2014, 19:43

Some games are a little smoother with a controller. But we're talking about games that are very stuttery when panning.
For example AC4 black flag with an xbob360 controller is a bit smoother than with my razer deathadder2013@1000Hz.
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

GameLifter

Post by GameLifter » 30 Aug 2014, 23:16

Haste wrote:Some games are a little smoother with a controller. But we're talking about games that are very stuttery when panning.
For example AC4 black flag with an xbob360 controller is a bit smoother than with my razer deathadder2013@1000Hz.
Ah, so it seems the mouse we have might be part of the issue. Do you have Crysis 3 to test? That game is buttery smooth for me when I play with a controller and the fps is in the 50s. It even feels smooth when it dips into the 40s. When playing with my Razer DeathAdder it starts to stutter at these FPS ranges.

slickric21

Post by slickric21 » 31 Aug 2014, 04:30

Ok good to see its not just me I guess :(

Im using a single GTX 780, and a Logitech G700s @1000hz polling rate and 1550dpi.

I will try to do some tests with a gamepad as had been mentioned here and see how that feels.

TrueDespair

Post by TrueDespair » 04 Sep 2014, 11:48

Slick@ Can you give us a feedback of your results?

GameLifter

Post by GameLifter » 04 Sep 2014, 14:43

I've been playing through Shadow Warrior (2013) with my mouse and it doesn't seem to suffer from this issue as bad. It depends on the area I'm in but sometimes the motion is perfectly smooth and sometimes it's laggy. This leads me to believe it's more of an SLI issue or a game engine issue. When using a controller in the game I get the same result.

One thing worth noting is that Shadow Warrior is a Steam game while Crysis 3 is an Origin game. Other games I've tried in Origin such as BF3, BF4, and Titanfall all have the same lagginess with G-Sync and using a mouse. Could the issue be mainly affecting Origin games? That may sound far fetched but I've had weird issues with games not loading up in Origin simply because I had the EVGA Precision X program running in the background so maybe Origin can have issues with G-Sync as well?

MrBrown

Post by MrBrown » 05 Sep 2014, 10:46

The thing is, many games often use mouse smoothing, which in combination with different mouse polling rates like 500hz and 1000hz lead to stuttering even though the game runs at decent framerates.

As an example some of UE3 based games introduce view stuttering when mouse smoothing is enabled, like MIrrors Edge. What you need to do in those games is to disable mouse smoothing in the .ini file. (bEnableMouseSmoothing=False)

I would generally recommend disabling mouse smoothing in any UE3 based game in the ini file if you have a 500hz or 1000hz mouse.

That is just 1 example that has an impact on stuttering when moving your mouse in games even though the framerate is ok.
Falkentynes BenQ Service Menu thread: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467