G-Sync - Laggy at <55fps, same for you ???

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
MrBrown

Re: G-Sync - Laggy at <55fps, same for you ???

Post by MrBrown » 08 Sep 2014, 09:52

but then- how does the gpu know for how long it should show the doubled image, when the framerate is variable and the gpu is not using any kind of buffering (double or triple)?

The variable framerate is really what makes it hard or maybe even impossible without any sort of buffering, since the gpu doesnt know how long it will take untill the next frame is rendered.
Falkentynes BenQ Service Menu thread: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 08 Sep 2014, 15:23

That's where the half-refresh comes in. If you know 72FPS is the maximum, you can assume a best-case time of 13.9ms. So after 13.9ms, you can show the last frame again. That means you get 144Hz on two consecutive frames. I'm not sure if this would make the mouse motion somewhat uneven though (since the time between the two doubled frames is always 13.9ms and the time between the last doubled frame and a new frame can be longer.) But it's probably still better than a stuttering mouse cursor.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

n1catastrophe

Post by n1catastrophe » 09 Sep 2014, 02:15

I tested the same thing out in crysis 3. 56-58 fps when moving my mouse left and right. Looking at a tree and focusing on it you can see the fps drop below 60. Same thing would happen in Skyrim when it first came out standing on the bridge in riverwood. 60 FPS while looking north to whiterun, turn around and riverwood would drop it to 58-59. Notice it instantly. Honestly, I am not impressed enough to justify 800 for this monitor.

Not to mention I have streaking on the screen. When its turned off I can shine a light on it from an angle and look at it straight on and it appears to have streaking on the screen despite cleaning it several times.

Edit - Forgot to mention, controller makes it look perfect.

Hel1011

Post by Hel1011 » 09 Sep 2014, 06:42

n1catastrophe wrote:I tested the same thing out in crysis 3. 56-58 fps when moving my mouse left and right. Looking at a tree and focusing on it you can see the fps drop below 60. Same thing would happen in Skyrim when it first came out standing on the bridge in riverwood. 60 FPS while looking north to whiterun, turn around and riverwood would drop it to 58-59. Notice it instantly. Honestly, I am not impressed enough to justify 800 for this monitor.

Not to mention I have streaking on the screen. When its turned off I can shine a light on it from an angle and look at it straight on and it appears to have streaking on the screen despite cleaning it several times.

Edit - Forgot to mention, controller makes it look perfect.
What would be causing this type of stutter as this is not the cursor stutter ppl have been talking about?

GameLifter

Post by GameLifter » 09 Sep 2014, 09:21

After reading everyone's knowledgeable posts, I now understand why the cursor is slowing down in games and causing the stutter I'm seeing. What I'm still wondering about is why the same effect doesn't happen with the controller movement. Does the controller movement refresh differently than the mouse cursor? Also, the mouse stutter doesn't seem to happen in all games. In Shadow Warrior (2013) the movement only stutters at certain parts when the whole game is stuttering due to the game engine. Other times the movement is still fairly smooth even when the FPS is below 60. Same thing with the Pendulum Demo. I'm guessing some games refresh the mouse cursor differently than others?

TrueDespair

Post by TrueDespair » 09 Sep 2014, 11:06

Has anyone tried to set the mouse polling rate down to for example 250hz?

I recognized in Call of Duty Ghosts and Metro Last Light on my old monitor (not Gsync) that a low mouse polling rate improved the mouse experience a lot.

GameLifter

Post by GameLifter » 09 Sep 2014, 12:58

I tried mine at 500hz but it didn't improve anything.

TrueDespair

Post by TrueDespair » 10 Sep 2014, 02:39

What is with 250hz?

flood

Post by flood » 10 Sep 2014, 04:33

n1catastrophe wrote:I tested the same thing out in crysis 3. 56-58 fps when moving my mouse left and right. Looking at a tree and focusing on it you can see the fps drop below 60. Same thing would happen in Skyrim when it first came out standing on the bridge in riverwood. 60 FPS while looking north to whiterun, turn around and riverwood would drop it to 58-59. Notice it instantly. Honestly, I am not impressed enough to justify 800 for this monitor.
are you using gsync? check the menu osd to be sure. it sounds like your fps is capped to 60 somehow.

GameLifter

Post by GameLifter » 20 Sep 2014, 00:57

Good news guys. The latest driver (344.11) has fixed the stuttering issues I was getting. The panning in Crysis 3 is now smooth with a mouse and BF3 is perfect. The only stutter I notice now in games in when the engine stutters. Now this is what I was expecting out of Gsync! I hope everyone else has the same luck I had with the new drivers!