How does G-sync affect color quality?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
nimbulan

How does G-sync affect color quality?

Post by nimbulan » 06 Jan 2014, 17:50

Since color quality drops when turning monitors up to 120 Hz, and even more when going up to 144 Hz, will G-sync have the side affect of variable color quality depending on your framerate? Or is this compensated for by the G-sync board? I would be interested to see some tests of this since as far as I know it hasn't been covered by any G-sync previews.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: How does G-sync affect color quality?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Jan 2014, 17:55

nimbulan wrote:Since color quality drops when turning monitors up to 120 Hz, and even more when going up to 144 Hz, will G-sync have the side affect of variable color quality depending on your framerate? Or is this compensated for by the G-sync board? I would be interested to see some tests of this since as far as I know it hasn't been covered by any G-sync previews.
The color quality is whatever GSYNC max refresh rate you choose.
Color quality degrades the faster you scan-out an LCD refresh.

If you choose 144Hz-max GSYNC, you get color quality of 144Hz at all frame rates (since each frame is scanned-out in 1/144sec)
If you choose 120Hz-max GSYNC, you get color quality of 120Hz at all frame rates (since each frame is scanned-out in 1/120sec)
If you choose 60Hz-max GSYNC, you get color quality of 60Hz at all frame rates (since each frame is scanned-out in 1/60sec)

Although this is a variable refresh rate, and "refresh" becomes the same thing as a "frame" on a GSYNC monitor, the individual refreshes can be scanned out faster or slower based on what maximum GSYNC refresh rate you want. If you change the refresh rate at the Desktop or in your game, that sets your GSYNC maximum refresh rate, and your color quality will now become based on the chosen GSYNC maximum frame rate because that determines the scanout of each refresh.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

nimbulan

Re: How does G-sync affect color quality?

Post by nimbulan » 06 Jan 2014, 18:02

Good to know, thank you!