G-SYNC setting's for 360HZ OLED

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Bucking

G-SYNC setting's for 360HZ OLED

Post by Bucking » 09 May 2024, 17:15

Hello all,

I recently acquired the new AW2725 with 360 HZ.

I'm just a little confused about what settings I should choose for G-Sync.

When I had a 144HZ monitor I would enable G-Sync, V-Sync in the Nvidia control panel and set a fps limit with Riva tuner to about 140fps.

Now with the new monitor I don't reach 360fps in most games I play, so would a fps cap even make sense?
I currently have G-Sync and V-Sync enabled in the control panel without any FPS cap.
Is that the way to do it or am I missing something

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: G-SYNC setting's for 360HZ OLED

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 May 2024, 23:52

If you play competitively -- a watchdog cap at ~345-350 would be good practice -- it minimizes the latency penalty of VRR range enter/exit events.

The correct esports way to do G-SYNC is indeed, of course doing what you did -- getting more VRR range than framerate range. That makes capping essentially unnecessary.

For casual gaming, you probably don't need to bother capping, unless you need to get a temperamental game (e.g. game not very well-behaved with VRR) to framepace better. Sometimes RTSS is used to do that, e.g. setting a 60fps cap for a 60fps-locked console game port, it may framepace better (less erratically). But this would only be a special-case cap.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Bucking

Post by Bucking » 10 May 2024, 02:12

Thank you very much :)

Would there be any downsides to still cap it?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 11 May 2024, 04:20

I cap my FPS to something that makes each game feel consistent by avoiding big changes in frame rate. Games feel different to me if they run at at 90FPS in one spot but 160 in another. (I'm on a 165Hz display.) So I would cap such a game to 100 to get more consistent motion blur and latency. But it's personal preference.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.