Performance Decrease with PG278Q

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
mjohnson

Re: Performance Decrease with PG278Q

Post by mjohnson » 17 Sep 2014, 17:47

I have a SLI setup at home with 3dmark. I will run some tests with g-sync off with the swift vs a plain old 24" panel. g-sync will cap your max fps to max refresh rate of the monitor.

gridironcpj

Post by gridironcpj » 18 Sep 2014, 02:29

mjohnson wrote:I have a SLI setup at home with 3dmark. I will run some tests with g-sync off with the swift vs a plain old 24" panel. g-sync will cap your max fps to max refresh rate of the monitor.
I understand that. My issue is that with g-sync off, I still get a performance hit when using the PG278Q.

gridironcpj

Post by gridironcpj » 19 Sep 2014, 07:10

Nobody has tried my proposed test in my opening post. I literally get a 2,000 point decrease in Graphics Score in Fire Strike with the PG278Q plugged in versus it not being plugged in (using another monitor instead). When watching the benchmark, I noticed a form a throttling, where the framerate will dip 20 below for no reason and then go back up (this is absent in the non-PG278Q case). Just so it's clear, THIS ISSUE PERSISTS WITH G-SYNC TURNED OFF. I might just return this monitor, as the hit is enough to turn me away, even with the nice refresh rate and G-sync (not as great as advertised). In Fire Strike, my average framerates in the graphics tests are 8-11FPS decreased with the PG278Q. I'd hate to see what benchmarking run-throughs in games would yield.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 19 Sep 2014, 07:58

Have you tried the driver released today? 344.11.

Dumb question, but did you make sure you used the same resolution both times when benching rather than 1080 in one and 1440 in the other? :mrgreen:
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

gridironcpj

Post by gridironcpj » 19 Sep 2014, 15:37

RealNC wrote:Have you tried the driver released today? 344.11.

Dumb question, but did you make sure you used the same resolution both times when benching rather than 1080 in one and 1440 in the other? :mrgreen:
Yes, I updated the driver last night and this did not solve my issue nor improve it. Also, yes, I have the same resolution set for each monitor (they are both native 2560x1440). Does anyone think it's a hardware issue with my monitor or a driver issue?

gridironcpj

Post by gridironcpj » 21 Sep 2014, 19:34

I've also noticed that my temperatures at idle are significantly higher with this monitor. Just to see if it was the settings, I set my refresh rate to 60 and turned off G-sync, but my idles still sit between 50C and 52C. Do you guys think something could be wrong with my monitor? Perhaps the G-sync chip is malfunctioning?

gridironcpj

Post by gridironcpj » 17 Oct 2014, 02:36

So has anybody come up with a solution or replicated my original findings?

PoWn3d_0704

Post by PoWn3d_0704 » 17 Oct 2014, 17:48

I have a single card, the Asus VG248QE GSync, and dual monitors. I have totally had GSync enabled during benchmarking.

I'm going to shut off GSync and try again. Then I'm going to disconnect my GSync monitor entirely and run the benchmark on my Dell 60hz IPS.

I'll see what kinda scores I get, but I'm going to run Heaven 4.0
Asus VG248QE with GSync. Blur Busters GSync Contest Winner.

gridironcpj

Post by gridironcpj » 23 Oct 2014, 02:37

My advice is to run 3D Mark since it's more stable during overclocking. A single card will not produce any issues, as the issue I've brought up only occurs with SLI. It's definitely a driver issue, but the real question is if this issue persists with all SLI cards or only a subset of cards. I have 2 GTX Titans, which are outliers to Nvidia at this point and may not be getting the same support in drivers as a GTX 780 or 780 Ti.

I've come across other issues with G-sync and this monitor lately. I literally cannot play Shadow of Mordor without the game crashing when I'm playing on the ROG Swift (G-sync on or off). When playing on my non-g-sync monitor, the problem no longer persists. Once again, I blame Nvidia drivers. Nvidia really needs to address these issues with G-sync, because it'll end up being a flop if people like me can't even enjoy it after investing $800 in the technology. I have a feeling my problems may disappear if my Titans were replaced by 970s or 980s, which is really sad considering I shouldn't have to upgrade just to use a feature that is advertised to work for Kepler cards without issue.

WickedSoN

Post by WickedSoN » 24 Oct 2014, 11:05

That is a bummer. One of the risks of going with bleeding edge tech is having to deal with early adoption bugs. I'm sure Nvidia will sort it out, the speed in which they iron out this g-sync launch is going to be crucial to them. Especially now that A-sync is supposedly around the corner. Every move they make at this point has to be very strategic. Do they pour all they can into G-sync since they have the market now (I hope so!)? Have they seen what A-sync's true capabilities are (inferior or superior to g-sync)? How much investment is an acceptable risk with A-sync looming (the almighty dollar is what should be driving them, they are a publicly traded company and share holders only care of making money)? Either way I have been very impressed with Nvidia in the last few years, not only with the performance and overall build quality of their GPU's but Nvidia has been doing fairly good at driver releases and the Nividia Experience has undergone some nice improvements (I especially like they evolution of shadowplay). They are a quality company in my opinion. I hate to sound like a fan boy as I have owned many ATI cards in the past, but my switch to team green about 3 years ago has been a much better experience as a gamer, hardware enthusiast, and consumer.

Either way sorry to hear about your problem, hang in there for now.