Performance Decrease with PG278Q

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
ManuelG_NVIDIA

Re: Performance Decrease with PG278Q

Post by ManuelG_NVIDIA » 31 Oct 2014, 19:08

gridironcpj wrote:Hello folks,

I've noticed a performance decrease with G-sync enabled or disabled with my PG278Q. I did some extensive testing with this and I've come to the conclusion that having G-sync available as an option in the NVCP causes a performance hit (bad drivers I suppose?). This is consistent with the last 3 Nvidia drivers and is consistent over Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 (I upgraded to 8.1 recently). In order to pinpoint this issue on the PG278Q, I turned my PC off, unplugged my PG278Q from my PC, and only had my PB278Q plugged in. This automatically removes G-sync as an option in the NVCP. My performance is normal in this setting. My graphics score in Fire Strike drops 1,000-2,000 if the PG278Q is plugged in (even if it isn't even selected as an active monitor!). Once again, I attribute this to G-sync being an option in the NVCP (enabled or disabled).

Does anyone have a fix for this or is it truly a driver issue? Can anyone else replicate my experiment and see if they come to the same conclusion? To be specific, try this:

(1) Have the PG278Q plugged into your PC and run Fire Strike (G-sync disabled).
(2) Unplug the PG278Q and use a different monitor. Run Fire Strike with the exact same overclock and fan profiles.
(3) Compare the scores.

For reference, here is my relevant hardware:
GPU(s): GTX Titan 2-way SLI (both typically overclocked ~1.1GHz in gaming and benchmark applications)
CPU: i7 3930K @4.3GHz (cooled via Corsair H110)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB 1866MHz
Mobo: Rampage IV Formula
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Are you still having this issue? This is not expected behavior.
Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 31 Oct 2014, 19:56

Someone mentioned on OCN that it may have something to do with "NVidia scaling" not being able to be disabled. Even if you disable scaling, the NVidia scaler is still in use. Only in very old drivers did you have the ability to use NO scaling at all. Not sure if that is related (having Nvidia scaling causes extra input lag), but the Gsync module does NOT have a hardware scaler

gridironcpj

Post by gridironcpj » 26 Jun 2015, 00:04

ManuelG_NVIDIA wrote:

I've noticed a performance decrease with G-sync enabled or disabled with my PG278Q. I did some extensive testing with this and I've come to the conclusion that having G-sync available as an option in the NVCP causes a performance hit (bad drivers I suppose?). This is consistent with the last 3 Nvidia drivers and is consistent over Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 (I upgraded to 8.1 recently). In order to pinpoint this issue on the PG278Q, I turned my PC off, unplugged my PG278Q from my PC, and only had my PB278Q plugged in. This automatically removes G-sync as an option in the NVCP. My performance is normal in this setting. My graphics score in Fire Strike drops 1,000-2,000 if the PG278Q is plugged in (even if it isn't even selected as an active monitor!). Once again, I attribute this to G-sync being an option in the NVCP (enabled or disabled).

Does anyone have a fix for this or is it truly a driver issue? Can anyone else replicate my experiment and see if they come to the same conclusion? To be specific, try this:

(2) Unplug the PG278Q and use a different monitor. Run Fire Strike with the exact same overclock and fan profiles.
(3) Compare the scores.

GPU(s): GTX Titan 2-way SLI (both typically overclocked ~1.1GHz in gaming and benchmark applications)
Are you still having this issue? This is not expected behavior.
Yes, still having the same issue, but now with two brand new GTX 980 Ti's in 2-way SLI. The performance hit with the PG278Q plugged in is 17-18%.

GameLifter

Post by GameLifter » 26 Jun 2015, 16:02

(3) Compare the scores.

Do you also get a performance decrease when you play games? When I first got my Swift I had two 680s and my performance stayed the same in all the games I tried such as Crysis 3, BF3/4, Tomb Raider, TF2, Titanfall, and the Batman games.

gridironcpj

Post by gridironcpj » 27 Jun 2015, 01:56

GameLifter wrote:

(3) Compare the scores.

Do you also get a performance decrease when you play games? When I first got my Swift I had two 680s and my performance stayed the same in all the games I tried such as Crysis 3, BF3/4, Tomb Raider, TF2, Titanfall, and the Batman games.
Yes, I got the performance hit in games. I found a partial fix. Apparently, Windows 8.1 does not support PCI-E 3.0 by default. It was set at 2.0 by default instead. I had to manually change this (and the method I found apparently must be applied every time the graphics driver is updated). This reduced the performance hit to 5% instead of 17%. That 5% is still annoying though. Why is g-sync still such an issue? It seems to be driver-oriented, which I doubt Nvidia will ever fix given that it's been almost a year.