G-Sync: One Year Later

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
flood

Re: G-Sync: One Year Later

Post by flood » 08 Feb 2015, 20:02

unitedflow wrote:So what's probably better for quakelive-gsync or freesync?
for quake, crt probably :D

writer21

Post by writer21 » 11 Feb 2015, 09:00

I still didn't get Gsync to run with quakelive. Maybe eventually it will happen.

aMunster

Post by aMunster » 13 Feb 2015, 19:34

writer21 wrote:I still didn't get Gsync to run with quakelive. Maybe eventually it will happen.
Sorry, didn't check into this thread for a while.

Here are the Nvidia and Quake settings I think are relevant to making G-Sync work:

[*] As far as I know, G-Sync works with all "proper" fullscreen games, including both DirectX and OpenGL. I remember complaining that Runescape can't use G-Sync despite having a fullscreen option. Borderless windowed, while nice, is not enough. Maybe OpenGL support was added later? I can't remember. I might find the info in my post history.
[*] Nvidia control panel: 144hz, Vertical Sync set to G-Sync, triple buffering off.
[*] Quake: r_fullscreen 1, com_maxfps 125. I play at 1080p, the monitor's native resolution. Some people like 800x600, but I don't do any of that. r_displayrefresh 0. Both in and out of the game I'm at 144hz.

Let me know how it goes, writer21. If you need more help, add me on QL or message me on Quakenet. My username is the same.

aMunster

Post by aMunster » 13 Feb 2015, 19:41

flood wrote:
unitedflow wrote:So what's probably better for quakelive-gsync or freesync?
for quake, crt probably :D
That's the thing. A CRT or a flawless strobed backlight LCD screen is really nice for Quake, but I gave it up in favor of smoothness. I don't have a way to prove one is better than the other. The game is extremely fast. Right now I'm pursuing playing smarter rather than reacting faster or executing more actions per minute. The psychological aspects of the game (avoiding frustration, staying calm) are what complicate the situation.

I remember playing on 60hz and being happy with it. Better than not gaming!
I remember moving to 120hz and never wanting to go back. Less distracting than 60hz.
I remember moving to 120hz strobed and never wanting to go back. Better focus than ordinary 120hz.
And now I've moved to 125fps synced. I prefer it but don't see 120hz strobed as inferior.

aMunster

Post by aMunster » 13 Feb 2015, 19:59

fury wrote:I just tried Gsync on Quake Live at 144hz (com_maxfps 250) and there was this terrible mouse driven stuttering. Like, if I'm walking straight through a hallway or just strafing through without turning, no biggie, it's smooth. But when I'm turning, I can see a very distinct stutter. It was bad enough to immediately quit and go back to 120hz ULMB. The problem went away when I did. What mouse are you using? Mine is an Intellimouse Explorer 2.0A USB
G-Sync works best when the framerate of the game is below the monitor's refresh rate. While com_maxfps 250 is nice with ULMB, 125 is better for G-Sync. I just tested com_maxfps 250 and 125 with G-Sync. There is some sluggishness to the mouse when using 250. It almost feels like the sluggishness associated with regular v-sync.

I use a Logitech G502. Prior to that I used a G9x for a long time. 800dpi in Quake (with m_cpi 800). Sensitivity 18 (20cm/360) and .2 accel.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 14 Feb 2015, 00:20

aMunster wrote:There is some sluggishness to the mouse when using 250. It almost feels like the sluggishness associated with regular v-sync.
Yes, when the fps is higher then the refreshrate of the monitor it turns into V-sync. that is why you set com_maxfps to 125 ;)

writer21

Post by writer21 » 17 Feb 2015, 10:34

Thanks for the suggestions but I've tried everything that was said and still no go. I've used both the launcher and steam exe with no luck.

aMunster

Post by aMunster » 07 Mar 2015, 21:15

writer21 wrote:Thanks for the suggestions but I've tried everything that was said and still no go. I've used both the launcher and steam exe with no luck.
Again, message me on QL or IRC (Quakenet) and I'll help you out. Same nickname throughout.