G-Sync: One Year Later

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Trip

Re: G-Sync: One Year Later

Post by Trip » 01 Feb 2015, 13:56

If I recall correctly quake live is an opengl game. You might wanna try disabling both full borderless window, disabling triple buffering in the drivers and turning on fullscreen. I heard gsync isnt working unless its fullscreen. Sorry I dont have gsync so I cant test if it works but I think these two things might interfere with it. I didnt even know gsync worked with opengl games until I read this thread haha.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 01 Feb 2015, 21:29

Yes, g-sync only works with games that in exclusive fullscreen mode. Running in a borderless fullscreen window doesn't work.

If your game does not support proper exclusive fullscreen mode, g-sync will not work with it.

With that being said, does quake live even benefit from g-sync? Doesn't that game run easily with over 400FPS even with mid-range PCs? With those frame rates, tearing isn't a problem to begin with.

Edit:
Ah, I just found out that quake live has a cap of 125FPS. I'll never understand why some developers do stupid stuff like that.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Trip

Post by Trip » 02 Feb 2015, 13:34

RealNC wrote:Ah, I just found out that quake live has a cap of 125FPS. I'll never understand why some developers do stupid stuff like that.
I do problem with physics engine otherwise. Why that creates a problem well yeah I don't understand that exactly either.
http://www.funender.com/quake/articles/fps.html
The calculator only works with older Internet Explorer browsers I believe (don't ask haha). The documentation underneath it explains though why they locked the fps since otherwise other people might abuse this stuff to jump further and higher. Even though you might say everyone can easily achieve 333 fps now days (highest jump). It still wouldn't be fair imo to players with older hardware (especially if you have slow cpu cores).
This engine is pretty funny though because of this bug from the physics engine. Circle strafing is actually abuse of this bug and is promoted by quake live as a feature. This stuff also works in some other q3 engine games or derivatives from this engine (like CS and COD).

flood

Post by flood » 02 Feb 2015, 15:39

fixed fps = more consistent everything.

writer21

Post by writer21 » 02 Feb 2015, 19:14

Well the OP apparently got gsync to run with quakelive. Quakelive is on steam now and yes my game is always in fullscreen yet the game does not run with gsync. Really if anyone knows how please post. Changed all settings in drivers to make sure gsync works like other games but this is the only game I have problems with.

Trip

Post by Trip » 03 Feb 2015, 10:43

writer21 wrote:Well the OP apparently got gsync to run with quakelive. Quakelive is on steam now and yes my game is always in fullscreen yet the game does not run with gsync. Really if anyone knows how please post. Changed all settings in drivers to make sure gsync works like other games but this is the only game I have problems with.
Are you sure quake live is running at 144hz.
http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showthre ... 103-G-sync
The last post on this thread mentions he got it working and he only needed to add a command to get higher refresh rate in his config to get it working.

writer21

Post by writer21 » 04 Feb 2015, 08:00

Yes that command line is in my autoexec. I will try it in original config and see if it works. So far it doesn't though even when I run at 144hz.

unitedflow

Post by unitedflow » 07 Feb 2015, 20:28

So what's probably better for quakelive-gsync or freesync?

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 08 Feb 2015, 06:37

unitedflow wrote:So what's probably better for quakelive-gsync or freesync?
both do the same thing and are pretty much identical.

unitedflow

Post by unitedflow » 08 Feb 2015, 19:33

lexlazootin wrote:
unitedflow wrote:So what's probably better for quakelive-gsync or freesync?
both do the same thing and are pretty much identical.
Is there a release date for Freesync monitors yet?