BenQ XL2420Z vs XL2420G

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Ludecan

BenQ XL2420Z vs XL2420G

Post by Ludecan » 10 Feb 2015, 17:52

Hello everybody. I'm planning on upgrading my monitor to either the XL2420Z or the XL2420G.

I can get the XL2420Z at U$D 620 right now or order the XL2420G abroad wich would cost U$D 850 and would take about two months to get here.

As far as I have seen they are both very capable gaming monitors and the difference between them is GSync. My concern is wether GSync is worth the price premium, and mostly the wait, or not. I've read several reviews including the ones on these forums and understand the principle of why it should be better but is it actually better when gaming? Can anyone who has or has seen a GSync monitor comment?

I have a single GTX 980 and play mostly FPSs. I like having DSR on at 2560x1440 so I manage to get somewhere on the 60-90 FPS range depending on the game. Would a GSync monitor be much better than a 144hz non GSync monitor with Vsync or such?

Thanks in advance!

Falkentyne

Re: BenQ XL2420Z vs XL2420G

Post by Falkentyne » 10 Feb 2015, 19:21

I'd wait for freesync at this point.
Especially after all this hoopla about the Gsync module being some sort of "DRM" by Nvidia (meaning you don't even NEED a gsync module for the tech to work...it's simply Nvidia's version of freesync, with DRM added, but I haven't been keeping up on it. Someone said the module was to solve compatibility issues ?IDK).

Right now is probably the worst time to buy a monitor. Wait a few months then decide. If you absolutely NEED a monitor urgently, grab a 2411Z or 2420Z and sit on it for awhile until things settle down.

Ludecan

Post by Ludecan » 11 Feb 2015, 12:16

Whoa. Hadn't read about the DRM stuff. So apparently the GSync module wouldn't be necessary to get adaptive refresh rate.
According to this: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1986 ... ile-g-sync
It's possible to get it working on some notebooks WITHOUT a GSync module, tough NVIDIA says without it it's not "the same experience".

Hmmm, yeah, I'm not desperately needing a new monitor right now. The problem is when FreeSync is finally out (let's hope six months maybe?) it'll take another couple of months to get here, and by then there'll be a flaming new tech that's just out of the oven!, so it's never really a good time to buy.

But I think I'll follow your advice and see how things develop in the next months, have a more clear view.
Thanks for your help!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 11 Feb 2015, 12:41

Yeah apparently the module fixes some 'issues' but still....Nvidia is up to their dirty tricks again.
Just FYI, Adaptive sync is the Vesa standard.
Freesync is adaptive sync made for AMD cards to utilize specific features for their hardware.

source:

http://techreport.com/news/26451/adapti ... yport-spec
Q: How are DisplayPort™ Adaptive-Sync and Project FreeSync different?
A: DisplayPort™ Adaptive-Sync is an ingredient DisplayPort™ feature that enables real-time adjustment of monitor refresh rates required by technologies like Project FreeSync. Project FreeSync is a unique AMD hardware/software solution that utilizes DisplayPort™ Adaptive-Sync protocols to enable user-facing benefits: smooth, tearing-free and low-latency gameplay and video.

Ludecan

Post by Ludecan » 11 Feb 2015, 17:21

Yes, I meant adaptive refresh rate as the variation in the monitor's refresh rate, like the concept instead of a particular technology. But the names are quite confusing, I've also seen it referred to as Dynamic Refresh Rate (DRR) or Synced Refresh Rate.

Reading a bit more I've found that NVIDIA has stated that it will not support VESA Adaptive-Sync: http://www.kitguru.net/components/graph ... tive-sync/
That would leave me (and all other GTX 9xx owners) in a bad spot since I've just bought my 980 and wanted it to last for a while. I would have no choice but to go for GSync if I want DRR.

Still if AMD manages to deliver the same results at lower prices with FreeSync, I think NVIDIA would be forced to support Adaptive-Sync, else they will lose a share of the market.

Does anyone know if Display Port 1.2 is hardware compatible with Display Port 1.2a? I.E: would a firmware update allow a Display Port 1.2 port to be DP 1.2a, or does it need new hardware?