[fixed] HELP - G-sync installation

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 16 Jan 2014, 14:49

Does anyone have any tips for cracking open the monitor case? I can hardly get it to budge more than a millimeter without feeling like I'm going to break something or severely damage the plastic.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: [HELP] G-sync installation

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Jan 2014, 14:55

nimbulan wrote:Does anyone have any tips for cracking open the monitor case? I can hardly get it to budge more than a millimeter without feeling like I'm going to break something or severely damage the plastic.
This is always a discomfortable feeling. But it does snap apart and back, just like in the video. You cN try beginning with the left pry hole or the right pry hole, one of the two May have lower resistance.

A better pry tool does help. Did the kit include a pry tool, or are you using a screwdriver to pry?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 16 Jan 2014, 14:57

Chief Blur Buster wrote:This is always a discomfortable feeling. But it does snap apart and back, just like in the video. A better pry tool does help. Did the kit include a pry tool, or are you using a screwdriver to pry?
I've been mostly trying to use the pry tool, but I can feel the plastic twisting when I try to pry with it. The snaps are obviously tougher than it is. It's looking like I'll need to use a screwdriver and just deal with the plastic damage.

I always hated plastic snap construction.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 16 Jan 2014, 15:01

Alright looks like I just needed a screwdriver to get it started. Hopefully I'll be up and running in about half an hour.

This is still nowhere near as easy as it looks in the video. Their demo monitor has obviously been taken apart several times in the past.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Jan 2014, 16:25

nimbulan wrote:Alright looks like I just needed a screwdriver to get it started. Hopefully I'll be up and running in about half an hour.

This is still nowhere near as easy as it looks in the video. Their demo monitor has obviously been taken apart several times in the past.
Keep it up, proceed cautiously & take a few photographs if you'd like! Would like to see your experiences in installing the kit.

I am looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Note: Blur Busters dislcaims all responsibility for damage to your monitor. Proceed at own risk. That said, this forum welcomes feedback!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 16 Jan 2014, 16:44

Since I'm finally writing this from a G-synced monitor, here are my impressions:

- Opening the case takes a LOT of force to get started and will require a screwdriver. The shim is just not rigid enough. After detaching the first snap or two, you can slide the shim along the opening to pop the rest of them. There are several plastic ridges around each snap that you will have to go around. Going around the corners of the frame may require the screwdriver again.
- The edges of the metal housing that contains the monitor electronics has very sharp edges. I cut myself twice trying to hold onto it to remove the post and for inserting screws.
- Make sure you follow the instructions for attaching the LVDS cable to the G-sync board carefully, it is a bit confusing.
- The screw for the DisplayPort shield does not like to seat easily. You will need to press down on the circuitboard and screwdriver both with a good amount of force to make it work.
- You will need electrical tape to attach the shield over the power jack even though they say it's optional.

Hopefully this information will help some others. I also found it odd in my monitor that most of the foil tape wasn't really attached, it was stuck on one side then just sitting lightly on the other.

Solar

Post by Solar » 16 Jan 2014, 16:56

Be very careful with the brown clip (J6) for the buttons! I watched the installation video that was posted by Nvidia just a few days ago, and the guy specifically says lift up the brown clip. Well i tried it and the whole thing came up from the circuit board!

ImageImage

I can't believe none of the pins on the back side broke! I carefully and slowly pushed it back down and was finally able to seat the ribbon cable by pushing it in while holding the clip down at the same time.

Luckily all of the buttons work as well as the led power button and i'm using it right now.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Jan 2014, 17:00

Solar wrote:Be very careful with the brown clip (J6) for the buttons! I watched the installation video that was posted by Nvidia just a few days ago, and the guy specifically says lift up the brown clip. Well i tried it and the whole thing came up from the circuit board!

[cringe-worthy photographs]

...I can't believe none of the pins on the back side broke! [...] Luckily all of the buttons work as well as the led power button and i'm using it right now.
You got lucky! Armed with this knowledge, let's keep a vigiliant eye on other people about to repeat this mistake. Let's save as many people as possible from an expensive factory repair. Soon, G-SYNC will be built into monitors and we won't need to worry about this, but right now, we got to work harder to get on this fun ride early.

Relax, enjoy some games, and keep us posted on your G-SYNC experiences -- even in separate, new gsync experience threads (this is the install thread) -- I anticipate a bunch of long posts from you!

Note: Blur Busters dislcaims all responsibility for damage to your monitor. Proceed at own risk. That said, this forum welcomes feedback!

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 16 Jan 2014, 17:04

Solar wrote:Be very careful with the brown clip (J6) for the buttons! I watched the installation video that was posted by Nvidia just a few days ago, and the guy specifically says lift up the brown clip. Well i tried it and the whole thing came up from the circuit board!
It's good you didn't damage it! I had some trouble with this clip as well. I followed the instructions in the installation guide, using the shim in the small holes to unlock it but it wouldn't lift up. I ended up just pushing the cable into it and it popped right up.