BenQ XL2420G - Settings, Blur reduction etc.

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
banProsper

BenQ XL2420G - Settings, Blur reduction etc.

Post by banProsper » 16 Feb 2015, 17:30

Hello,

I got a new BenQ XL2420G today. I already read a lot about it before getting it, but I'm still feeling overwhelmed as this is my first good monitor.

What I've done so far is install drivers, set everything to 144Hz, install Blur Busters Strobe Utility for BENQ Blur Reduction and played around with settings for a bit. For non-gaming settings I simply use these (props to NCX):

Code: Select all

Engine>Classic>Blur Reduction Off
Picture Advanced>Picture Mode>Standard
Picture>Brightness: 25
Picture>Colour Temperature>Warm: Red 100 Green 100 Blue 95
Picture>Gamma>Mode 4
I've saved these settings under "Gamer1" profile so I can easily enable them with the S-Switch. What I need help with is setting up another profile for FPS gaming (CS:GO) with Classic Mode, Black eQalizer and Blur Busters Strobe Utility for BENQ Blur Reduction. Here are my kind requests:

1. Can somebody please share their Blur Busters Strobe Utility settings for XL2420G, I just can't seem to find the right balance and need a few good examples. I've been looking at the flying UFOs for too long.
2. What Black eQalizer, Brightness, Contrast, Low Blue Light, Color Temperature etc. settings are others using for a game like CS:GO? I'd be happy if somebody could help me with these settings just to get a good example. I'll set it to my own likings later, I'd just like to be pointed at the right direction first.
3. What are Picture Modes (Menu-> Picture Advanced) and what is their relationship to profiles (Gamer1, 2, 3)? I see that some of these modes disable certain features.

Once we get this figured out I'll be asking for some G-Sync, Black eQualizer, Blur Reduction settings as well.

Thanks a lot to everybody, your site already helped me a bunch.

masterkaj

Re: BenQ XL2420G - Settings, Blur reduction etc.

Post by masterkaj » 17 Feb 2015, 18:47

banProsper wrote:Hello,

I got a new BenQ XL2420G today. I already read a lot about it before getting it, but I'm still feeling overwhelmed as this is my first good monitor.

What I've done so far is install drivers, set everything to 144Hz, install Blur Busters Strobe Utility for BENQ Blur Reduction and played around with settings for a bit. For non-gaming settings I simply use these (props to NCX):

Code: Select all

Engine>Classic>Blur Reduction Off
Picture Advanced>Picture Mode>Standard
Picture>Brightness: 25
Picture>Colour Temperature>Warm: Red 100 Green 100 Blue 95
Picture>Gamma>Mode 4
I've saved these settings under "Gamer1" profile so I can easily enable them with the S-Switch. What I need help with is setting up another profile for FPS gaming (CS:GO) with Classic Mode, Black eQalizer and Blur Busters Strobe Utility for BENQ Blur Reduction. Here are my kind requests:

1. Can somebody please share their Blur Busters Strobe Utility settings for XL2420G, I just can't seem to find the right balance and need a few good examples. I've been looking at the flying UFOs for too long.
2. What Black eQalizer, Brightness, Contrast, Low Blue Light, Color Temperature etc. settings are others using for a game like CS:GO? I'd be happy if somebody could help me with these settings just to get a good example. I'll set it to my own likings later, I'd just like to be pointed at the right direction first.
3. What are Picture Modes (Menu-> Picture Advanced) and what is their relationship to profiles (Gamer1, 2, 3)? I see that some of these modes disable certain features.

Once we get this figured out I'll be asking for some G-Sync, Black eQualizer, Blur Reduction settings as well.

Thanks a lot to everybody, your site already helped me a bunch.
I have the same monitor (have had it for around a week). To be honest, if you aren't going to use the G-Sync mode the monitor isn't worth having over the BenQ XL2420Z. If you have a card capable of using G-Sync, I would swap over to the displayport and use ULMB (nvidia lightboost 2.0, looks pretty good) or G-Sync. For CS:GO I would probably use ULMB, but if you are sensitive to screen tearing use G-Sync instead.

I find using g-sync or ULMB is awesome and have little use for the classic mode. You should give it a try if you can. You can still adjust the black equalizer and blue light in this mode too. As of now I use G-Sync almost exclusively, the lack of screen tearing or stutters is like nothing I've ever experienced. I'm also sensitive to input lag and G-Sync has less than strobed modes (lightboost, ULMB, or BenQ Blur Reduction).

banProsper

Post by banProsper » 18 Feb 2015, 05:21

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to try out all the different modes this monitor offers, including G-Sync and ULMB. I've only had it for 2 days so I only managed to test Clasic mode + Benq's Blur Reduction + BlurBuster's Strobe Utility with CS. I like that it's much brighter than ULMB, even if it has more ghosting. I haven't tested ULMB properly yet, but Classic mode setup already works great.

I've also tested G-Sync in a game where I get constant FPS drops from 120-80-30. There's an incredible amount of screen tearing in that game whichmakes it hard to play sometimes. With G-Sync enabled all of this is gone, it's absolutely incredible. 30FPS feels like 60-70 and 60FPS feels like 100+. It's 100% smooth, at least from what I can tell.

I'll be sure to test Classic mode, G-Sync and ULMB with CS:GO so I can properly compare the 3. I need to read more about ULMB, G-Sync and optimal game settings.

masterkaj

Post by masterkaj » 18 Feb 2015, 20:21

banProsper wrote:Thanks for the reply. I'm going to try out all the different modes this monitor offers, including G-Sync and ULMB. I've only had it for 2 days so I only managed to test Clasic mode + Benq's Blur Reduction + BlurBuster's Strobe Utility with CS. I like that it's much brighter than ULMB, even if it has more ghosting. I haven't tested ULMB properly yet, but Classic mode setup already works great.

I've also tested G-Sync in a game where I get constant FPS drops from 120-80-30. There's an incredible amount of screen tearing in that game whichmakes it hard to play sometimes. With G-Sync enabled all of this is gone, it's absolutely incredible. 30FPS feels like 60-70 and 60FPS feels like 100+. It's 100% smooth, at least from what I can tell.

I'll be sure to test Classic mode, G-Sync and ULMB with CS:GO so I can properly compare the 3. I need to read more about ULMB, G-Sync and optimal game settings.
If you do use g-sync in CS:GO, make sure to set your fps_max to 120. See this article: http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview2/

For some reason when you cap near the 144hz refresh rate your input lag goes up by quite a bit. Keep in mind this is only for CS:GO, BF4 and Crysis 3 did not show the same problem.

banProsper

Post by banProsper » 18 Feb 2015, 20:40

Thanks, was wondering if that changed. I'm also trying to figure out if setting "max_fps 144" could be beneficial in Classic mode.

Alexious

Post by Alexious » 28 Apr 2015, 08:04

Personally, I'm interested in settings for the HDMI port while using a console, so without the ability to use .icc profiles.

Did anyone try to tweak OSD settings this way?

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 28 Apr 2015, 09:00

Just use the SRGB... all the others are rubbish.

Alexious

Post by Alexious » 04 May 2015, 14:28

lexlazootin wrote:Just use the SRGB... all the others are rubbish.
Yeah, but what about brightness etc.?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 04 May 2015, 14:36

Blur reduction doesn't work in SRGB mode. And the only point of using these monitors on console is for 60 hz single strobe (service menu) blur reduction :)

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 05 May 2015, 00:37

Falkentyne wrote:Blur reduction doesn't work in SRGB mode. And the only point of using these monitors on console is for 60 hz single strobe (service menu) blur reduction :)
AHHHH! i'm so sick of BenQ, they are like the monitor illuminati or some shit.