G-Sync game compatibility - Post your test results here

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
mminedune

Re: G-Sync game compatibility - Post your test results here

Post by mminedune » 17 Mar 2015, 10:26

MxOAgentJohnson wrote:
unless you're talking unreal 4, how are you playing unreal tourny 4?
Its pre alpha stage ATM and they release weekly updates.

https://forums.unrealtournament.com/sho ... d-3-9-2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lylzRC1uFg

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 18 Mar 2015, 00:12

StarCraft 2 finally works with GSync again. It runs soooo much smoother with it. The frame rate is very inconsistent in that game.

Alexious

Post by Alexious » 21 Mar 2015, 15:47

Joolsyz wrote:To tell you the truth i'm finding that with more games than not and I'm a little disappointed. For example, I bought Advanced Warfare and Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes and neither of them work particularly well at all with G-Sync, not smooth at all, so I find myself just using regular v-sync instead. Same goes for Dragon Age: Inquisition, and Assassin's Creed Unity. Where as games such as Sleeping Dogs, Max Payne 3, Tomb Raider and Crysis 3 are smooth as silk.

"PC gamer's can pair their GeForce GTX PCs with NVIDIA G-SYNC monitors for super smooth, stutter free, highly responsive gaming sessions", ironically this quote can be found on the Geforce article for Far Cry 4, which sure as hell isn't the case, at least on my system.
Damn. Those are very important games, if they really are worse with GSYNC than what's the point of $200 premium?

This is kinda worrying for someone who is interested in buying a GSYNC monitor. Problem is, other people say that it's a "game changer"...

Joolsyz

Post by Joolsyz » 21 Mar 2015, 17:14

Well in some games it is a gamechanger, just that the games I was hoping it would have a beneficial impact with wasn't to be the case.

Alexious

Post by Alexious » 21 Mar 2015, 18:32

Joolsyz wrote:Well in some games it is a gamechanger, just that the games I was hoping it would have a beneficial impact with wasn't to be the case.
Thing is, those games you mentioned going well are already silky smooth on their own. Sleeping Dogs, Max Payne 3, Tomb Raider, Crysis 3 and even Shadow of Mordor which was mentioned by someone else, I've completed them all and they ran amazingly well even on fixed refresh rate monitors.

Those are certainly not the kind of games for which GSYNC/FreeSync were made. Supposedly these technologies should improve the playability of 30-60hz games, which are exactly heavier games like Dragon Age: Inquisition or Assassin's Creed Unity. If they don't improve anything or even make it worse, then I don't really see the point.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 21 Mar 2015, 18:45

Alexious wrote:
Joolsyz wrote:Well in some games it is a gamechanger, just that the games I was hoping it would have a beneficial impact with wasn't to be the case.
Thing is, those games you mentioned going well are already silky smooth on their own. Sleeping Dogs, Max Payne 3, Tomb Raider, Crysis 3 and even Shadow of Mordor which was mentioned by someone else, I've completed them all and they ran amazingly well even on fixed refresh rate monitors.

Those are certainly not the kind of games for which GSYNC/FreeSync were made. Supposedly these technologies should improve the playability of 30-60hz games, which are exactly heavier games like Dragon Age: Inquisition or Assassin's Creed Unity. If they don't improve anything or even make it worse, then I don't really see the point.
From my testing, the only games that run worse with G-sync are those are are locked to 30 fps. Even on those games that run well without it, it's a really nice improvement. SLI systems seem won't benefit nearly as much from it of course. Now if only I could convince developers that borderless window mode is not a replacement for fullscreen mode so I can actually use G-sync with every game...

MxOAgentJohnson

Post by MxOAgentJohnson » 21 Mar 2015, 23:01

Gsync doesnt nearly smooth out fps fluctuations as advertised.
So many games the fps fluctuates from 67-92 or something and you can tell when the fps is changing by moving the mouse, really poor...

Alexious

Post by Alexious » 22 Mar 2015, 08:29

nimbulan wrote:
Alexious wrote:

From my testing, the only games that run worse with G-sync are those are are locked to 30 fps. Even on those games that run well without it, it's a really nice improvement. SLI systems seem won't benefit nearly as much from it of course. Now if only I could convince developers that borderless window mode is not a replacement for fullscreen mode so I can actually use G-sync with every game...
MxOAgentJohnson wrote:Gsync doesnt nearly smooth out fps fluctuations as advertised.
So many games the fps fluctuates from 67-92 or something and you can tell when the fps is changing by moving the mouse, really poor...
You see? With opinions like this one I don't know what to believe anymore. It sounds like GSYNC actually makes things worse.
At the same time, I'm really sick of tearing in games. I use Adaptive Vsync (the one available in NVIDIA Control Panel) but that drops Vsync as soon as the frame rate goes below 60, and in a game like Battlefield: Hardline it happens every 30 seconds.

I'm not really interested in the higher spectrum of 120/144Hz gameplay anyway. I usually only play recent, graphics heavy games with maxed settings, meaning that the average frame rate of these titles fluctuates between 30 to 70FPS at most. That's where GSYNC should really make a difference and I'd like to know if this is actually the case or not.

Joolsyz

Post by Joolsyz » 22 Mar 2015, 08:41

Still, the games I mentioned run far better with g-sync than regular v sync because there's no judder, lag etc. Especially when running higher refresh rates that my GFX card can't keep up with. As for V-Sync off, I've always hated that with a passion, hitchy, tearing etc, urgh.

MxOAgentJohnson

Post by MxOAgentJohnson » 22 Mar 2015, 08:56

Alexious wrote:
nimbulan wrote:
Alexious wrote:

MxOAgentJohnson wrote:Gsync doesnt nearly smooth out fps fluctuations as advertised.
You see? With opinions like this one I don't know what to believe anymore. It sounds like GSYNC actually makes things worse.
At the same time, I'm really sick of tearing in games. I use Adaptive Vsync (the one available in NVIDIA Control Panel) but that drops Vsync as soon as the frame rate goes below 60, and in a game like Battlefield: Hardline it happens every 30 seconds.

I'm not really interested in the higher spectrum of 120/144Hz gameplay anyway. I usually only play recent, graphics heavy games with maxed settings, meaning that the average frame rate of these titles fluctuates between 30 to 70FPS at most. That's where GSYNC should really make a difference and I'd like to know if this is actually the case or not.
Right now i'm trying 3 games out, if the fps fluctuates on them the mouse stutters but if i use a gamepad it is silky smooth if the fps jumps about
the games tested Tomb Raider, Batman Arkham Origins and Ethan Carter.
My mouse is a Razer Abyssus at 1000hz polling rate, infact if i turn the polling rate down it stutters even more.
If the fps is locked to 60 or 120, always the mouse is fine.
This is getting weird.