Question on Gsync Framerates, please help!

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
evamodel00

Question on Gsync Framerates, please help!

Post by evamodel00 » 25 Feb 2015, 21:19

Hi all,

I just got an acer XB280hk gsync monitor and i love it however I am having an issue.

I run 3 video cards and the monitor completely fixed my screen tearing/stuttering issues, however I having some issues with select games.

For instance, crysis 3 is perfect, it runs completely smooth, and looking at EVGA precision, my fps is at around 80-90 and all 3 GPUs are at 95-100%. That's the way it should be.

Now, when I play battlefield 4 (and 1 other game i tried and got the same issue was dragon age inquisition), it's limiting my frames to 60fps. My GPU usage is at 50% for all 3 gpus and it's causing the game to not be so smooth as it is acting like vsync is on. It stays around 60 but dips down a bit. I have vsync turned off everywhere, in the control panel, in the game, no frame limiters on. If I window the game the frames shoot back up which I've read indicates that Gsync is active, so what is going on? How can I get it to utilize 100% of my GPU? It works fine in crysis and some other games, but not in battlefield or 1 or 2 others.

sharknice

Re: Question on Gsync Framerates, please help!

Post by sharknice » 26 Feb 2015, 01:27

evamodel00 wrote:Hi all,

I just got an acer XB280hk gsync monitor and i love it however I am having an issue.

I run 3 video cards and the monitor completely fixed my screen tearing/stuttering issues, however I having some issues with select games.

For instance, crysis 3 is perfect, it runs completely smooth, and looking at EVGA precision, my fps is at around 80-90 and all 3 GPUs are at 95-100%. That's the way it should be.

Now, when I play battlefield 4 (and 1 other game i tried and got the same issue was dragon age inquisition), it's limiting my frames to 60fps. My GPU usage is at 50% for all 3 gpus and it's causing the game to not be so smooth as it is acting like vsync is on. It stays around 60 but dips down a bit. I have vsync turned off everywhere, in the control panel, in the game, no frame limiters on. If I window the game the frames shoot back up which I've read indicates that Gsync is active, so what is going on? How can I get it to utilize 100% of my GPU? It works fine in crysis and some other games, but not in battlefield or 1 or 2 others.
Is the max refresh rate on the monitor set to 60hz when you load battlefield?

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 26 Feb 2015, 17:05

The monitor is 60hz mode when you use 3840x2160, that is its maximum refresh. Maybe you have to run lower resolution like 1920x1080 to get 144hz.

Also, if you window the game, gsync turns off, as it only works in real fullscreen mode.

flossandgrindwillis

Post by flossandgrindwillis » 26 Feb 2015, 23:18

Does Gsync help tearing if you are getting less than 60 fps? I was thinking about upgrading to a 1440p monitor before I add another card to sli, and wanted to know if this would be a good idea. Thank you.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 27 Feb 2015, 03:30

flossandgrindwillis wrote:Does Gsync help tearing if you are getting less than 60 fps?
Yes, that's the whole point of gsync. A tear-free image at any frame rate.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 27 Feb 2015, 07:07

Yes, but if you know you are going to be dropping lower than 30, then IMO it's best to disable gsync and vsync and run at as high a refresh rate as possible with frame rate cap. Since gsync default to vsync like behaviour when it drops lower than 30 (ie lock at 15 fps if running at 29 fps)

aeliusg

Post by aeliusg » 27 Feb 2015, 07:53

fenderjaguar wrote:Yes, but if you know you are going to be dropping lower than 30, then IMO it's best to disable gsync and vsync and run at as high a refresh rate as possible with frame rate cap. Since gsync default to vsync like behaviour when it drops lower than 30 (ie lock at 15 fps if running at 29 fps)
Are you sure about that? I haven't seen it on the ROG Swift. My understanding is that if framerate is under 30 fps the panel will refresh at 30 hz.

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 27 Feb 2015, 08:10

aeliusg wrote:Are you sure about that? I haven't seen it on the ROG Swift. My understanding is that if framerate is under 30 fps the panel will refresh at 30 hz.
Yeah, the screen has 30hz as its minimum refresh. It run at 30hz when under 30 fps.

Really, I wish all sync could be disabled and they let it tear under 30 fps (adaptive gsync, if you will), but I don't know if that would be possible. I know that it locks into 15 fps under 30 though.

Here, I made a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5zQVb8 ... e=youtu.be

Mdubz

Post by Mdubz » 28 Feb 2015, 00:26

fenderjaguar wrote:Here, I made a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5zQVb8 ... e=youtu.be
Wow, didn't realize that G-sync locks fps to 15 if you drop below 30. Why does it do this, and is there any to fix it?

aeliusg

Post by aeliusg » 28 Feb 2015, 03:32

Regrettably, I drop under 30 fps all the time in ArmA III and DayZ, but I haven't seen this sort of behavior yet. Are you sure this isn't due to some peculiarity of your setup, fenderjaguar? I would have expected it to be a point in reviews as well, seeing as the chasm between 29 and 15 fps is immense.