Does G-Sync fix issues that V-Sync typically does.

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
MxOAgentJohnson

Does G-Sync fix issues that V-Sync typically does.

Post by MxOAgentJohnson » 02 Mar 2015, 12:06

Hey guys.
so i am in the process of finally picking up a G-sync monitor, but before that i must know something.

I dont think people notice this problem as much as me, but in some games, if you turn VSync off you will get some small freezes in areas in certain games, i can list Borderlands 2, Half Life 2, Dishonoured as a few examples. It doesnt happen in every game but in the same area ever time locked at 60fps on 120hz or 60hz vsync off i notice i get small little jitters in certain areas of my game, like the next area popping in real quick unrelated to fps drops.

However, vsync on fixes this problem, and fixes it really well. It is just the inevitable introduction of input lag and mouse lag.

So if i had Gsync, would it esentially fix the issues like vsync does, because the monitor and gpu will be in sync still? Or would those issues still persist, its nothing to do with my rig as i've noticed it on both mine and a friends with all different hardware and same results.

Many thanks, and any advice on a nice gsync monitor would be amazing! Take care.
Jack.

fenderjaguar

Re: Does G-Sync fix issues that V-Sync typically does.

Post by fenderjaguar » 02 Mar 2015, 15:31

No, gsync makes this worse, because there is less latency (same as no vsync), unless the frame rate was maxing out the refresh rate.

when you enable vsync, you have buffered frames. When the engine hitches, runs out of frames and gives a minor stutter, there are still frames left in the buffer to use. So with vsync, sometimes these minor stutters are diminished. Although, I also argue that in some cases vsync makes it worse. Honestly, it depends on the game/engine.

Some games I prefer gsync, some no gsync/no vsync. I would also say some games I prefer vsync, but I hate input lag. Some games are smoother with vsync in 60hz mode, like alan wake (where with gsync I would capped at 60 fps on 120/144hz) or RAGE/wolfenstein (which are already capped). All three of those have a very minor microstutter (all the time, not engine loading related etc) which most people would not see with gsync, but with vsync they are completely smooth.

Also, if you go up to your max refresh (say you use 60hz mode with gsync and just let the frame rate go up to that) it's more or less exactly the same as vsync in every way with all the 'trimmings' (ie, buffered frames and input lag), unless you drop under (in which case gsync is obviously better)
Last edited by fenderjaguar on 02 Mar 2015, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.

aeliusg

Post by aeliusg » 02 Mar 2015, 15:38

Hey, fender, I tried using Rivatuner (yeah, not FRAPS, lol) and still can't get the 15 fps lock. Maybe it's a GTX 970 vs 780 Ti thing?

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 02 Mar 2015, 15:43

aeliusg wrote:Hey, fender, I tried using Rivatuner (yeah, not FRAPS, lol) and still can't get the 15 fps lock. Maybe it's a GTX 970 vs 780 Ti thing?
It could well be. I've tried it with 780 and 660 ti (I'm using a 660ti at the moment because I RMA it and am testing).

It could also be the monitor. But I'm pretty sure if you're using 30hz sync, then it has to drop to 15 fps, just like 60hz double buffer vsync has to drop to from 60 to 30 to 20 to 15 to 10 (because those are all multiples of the refresh).

Really go hard on those graphics options though. Try DSR at 4x. Make sure you NEVER go over 30 fps :twisted:

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 02 Mar 2015, 16:03

MxOAgentJohnson wrote:It doesnt happen in every game but in the same area ever time locked at 60fps on 120hz or 60hz vsync off
I misread this part of your post so I'll go back to it. We might not be talking about the same thing, but I'll post anyway...

Are you saying you simply run in 120hz mode with vsync enabled, then cap at 60 fps?

Because even though 60 fps is multiple of 120, you would need to use half refresh rate vsync for that to be precisely timed and totally smooth. It's the same when people cap at 30 fps on 60hz. Those jitters that happen every few minutes or so, most people can't see, and I've been seeing them for years. At first I thought 120hz with vsync and capped at 60 fps was a god send, because it allowed me to have a fluid frame rate and almost no input lag (since the frame rate was capped under the refresh and hence no buffered frames), but when I started seeing those jitters I never did it again.

MxOAgentJohnson

Post by MxOAgentJohnson » 02 Mar 2015, 16:36

fenderjaguar wrote:
MxOAgentJohnson wrote:It doesnt happen in every game but in the same area ever time locked at 60fps on 120hz or 60hz vsync off
I misread this part of your post so I'll go back to it. We might not be talking about the same thing, but I'll post anyway...

Are you saying you simply run in 120hz mode with vsync enabled, then cap at 60 fps?

Because even though 60 fps is multiple of 120, you would need to use half refresh rate vsync for that to be precisely timed and totally smooth. It's the same when people cap at 30 fps on 60hz. Those jitters that happen every few minutes or so, most people can't see, and I've been seeing them for years. At first I thought 120hz with vsync and capped at 60 fps was a god send, because it allowed me to have a fluid frame rate and almost no input lag (since the frame rate was capped under the refresh and hence no buffered frames), but when I started seeing those jitters I never did it again.
Happens regardless of refresh rate, if i lock to 60hz vsync these little judders in the same areas go away but stay there regardless of framerate matching hz or locked at whatever w/o vsync, but not on every game.

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 02 Mar 2015, 17:52

G-sync will fix sync judder and tearing, but it won't hide engine stuttering unless you're at your monitor's maximum refresh rate(where it behaves just like v-sync). Hiding engine stutter comes at the expense of input latency.

MxOAgentJohnson

Post by MxOAgentJohnson » 02 Mar 2015, 18:50

Sparky wrote:G-sync will fix sync judder and tearing, but it won't hide engine stuttering unless you're at your monitor's maximum refresh rate(where it behaves just like v-sync). Hiding engine stutter comes at the expense of input latency.
Trouble is i dont know if its a engine stutter or a tear that happens across the screen making it appear like that, the fact vsync fixes it makes me believe its a tearing case, its hard to know about anoyne elses situation apart from my two and a friends.

Joolsyz

Post by Joolsyz » 10 Mar 2015, 14:25

I agree with Fender on Alan Wake, I thought that would be one game that would work wonders with G-Sync but for whatever reason it just doesn't feel as smooth as standard V-Sync.

MxOAgentJohnson

Post by MxOAgentJohnson » 12 Mar 2015, 22:09

After buying a gsync monitor i can confirm G-sync does not hide stutters in games at points where vsync would. So there we go, the lack of tearing and the smoothness of fluctuating fps is amazing but doesnt work aswell as vsync so take from that what you will anyone who google searches :)