Does Gsync Fix Micro hitching/Stutter?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
aeliusg

Re: Does Gsync Fix Micro hitching/Stutter?

Post by aeliusg » 08 Mar 2015, 21:18

dosel wrote:My main issue is framerate fluctuations at high fps. Its not noticeable on 30 or even 60fps as much. But having high fps and any nicks its just a choppy mess. I will try that monitor. Iheard bad things about it on reviews like on newegg.
I got a good one on my first try a while ago, so I can't say anything bad about it. If it's noticeably defective you can count on Newegg to take it back, but recent batches seem like they're less spotty.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 09 Mar 2015, 01:01

dosel wrote:My main issue is framerate fluctuations at high fps. Its not noticeable on 30 or even 60fps as much. But having high fps and any nicks its just a choppy mess. I will try that monitor. Iheard bad things about it on reviews like on newegg.
Download GPU-Z and open up Taskmanager to see if anything is dripping down at random points. Although not the best example because I just way underclocked my gpu, check the graphs to make sure that everything is being used up and not dropping.

If you are getting massive frame times, it might help a little getting a gsync monitor but fixing a problem with a driver or software change would be much option as even if you do or don't get a Gsync monitor you will have a better experience either way.

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 09 Mar 2015, 14:09

Looks like the time has finally come for lexlazootin to upgrade from 4 to 8GB of RAM. I've noticed now that this 'next gen' has come along, we have games using a lot more now

dosel

Post by dosel » 09 Mar 2015, 14:16

I have already told you my games under use my CPU, and thats when the hitching occurs. Any time the FPS drops I see stuttering. If I limit the fps to 60 and my gpu runs 30% it dips below 60 like 59.6 for a brief second and I see stutter. I dont know why but All my PC's did this even. HAs to be windows7 or I need SLI

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 09 Mar 2015, 18:35

dosel wrote:I have already told you my games under use my CPU, and thats when the hitching occurs. Any time the FPS drops I see stuttering. If I limit the fps to 60 and my gpu runs 30% it dips below 60 like 59.6 for a brief second and I see stutter. I dont know why but All my PC's did this even. HAs to be windows7 or I need SLI
I'm more interested to see if there are any DROPS not low usage in games. I would just make sure to check that you have a stable system, maybe reset your overclocks and have all your drivers up to date and everything working fine before you go dropping $300+ on a new GPU or Monitor...

also in the first video you have some graphics card artifacting that comes with a extreme overclock, I don't if that could be it but that could be making it unstable.
it dips below 60 like 59.6 for a brief second and I see stutter
That's very well known and happens to everyone when your fps crosses the refresh rate of your monitor.
fenderjaguar wrote:Looks like the time has finally come for lexlazootin to upgrade from 4 to 8GB of RAM. I've noticed now that this 'next gen' has come along, we have games using a lot more now
I only play CSGO so I don't really have a reason to upgrade. :geek:

Joolsyz

Post by Joolsyz » 10 Mar 2015, 14:11

G-Sync will fix that issue in some games but not all, tends to vary, going by my experience anyway. Max Payne 3, Sleeping Dogs(Original Edition), Crysis 3 (apart from "Welcome to the Jungle"), Bioshock 2, Just Cause 2, The Darkness II, these games ran pretty much perfectly under G-Sync and I'm very perceptive to any slight stutter/hitch etc etc.

Also, for whatever reason in some games, I've found when using a mouse (Razer DeathAdder) in my case, lowering the mouse sens to 1 or even 0 in the game menu helped smooth out the mouse for me drastically.

MxOAgentJohnson

Post by MxOAgentJohnson » 13 Mar 2015, 11:17

G-sync wont fix game engine stutters if vsnyc fixes them, and some games just naturally stutter.

Half Life 2, Borderlands 2, Dishonoured, Transformers, Sniper Elite 2, just a few games that have hitches if they dont have vsync on, and some games like Elder Scrolls, Crysis, Watch Dogs and Far Cry 4 just stutter because they are poorly made, its the struggles of pc gaming.

I purchased a gsync monitor in hopes it would act like vsync in how it fixes some odd hitches on some games going ,past certain ,points that vsync does but it doesnt, and some games just naturally stutter due to being poorly made, its pc gaming for you. Sucks a lot of the time.

Teran

Post by Teran » 29 Mar 2015, 17:55

^^ This. This is the key issue, I agree with you dosel. I have been having the same issues you have described. I would be interested to know if getting a g-sync monitor solved you hitching issues or not dosel ?? Please post back if you can. As I recently got a g-sync monitor hoping it would resolve the same micro stutter/hitching issues i'm having. But it did not.

I run l4d2 and limit the fps to 120, which is the current max refresh rate of the g-sync monitor (120hrz) and the fps remains steady and consistent at 115-120fps in game, it never drops below 115. Yet every time it drops that few 5 frames, or even if it drops 2 frames, it stutters. Dropping 5 frames should not cause this kind of micro stutter, and it's really annoying. I've tried all the things you have too, but nothing seems to fix it.

This is my rig btw:
Intel Core i7 5930k @ 4.2Ghz
Asus X99-S motherboard
16Gb Corsair DDR4 2800Mhz
2x SLI MSI GTX 980
2x 500Gb SSD's (Raid 0)
Corsair 1000w PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64Bit SP2
G-sync AOC G2460PG 1080p

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 30 Mar 2015, 23:53

Teran, drop your fps down to 115 and test that, your cap SHOULDN'T be the same as the max refresh-rate but slightly lower. In the newer source engine games microstuttering shouldn't really be a thing and might be due to your setup.

I'm really surprised that you are dropping below 120 with your setup. Try disabling SLI and multi core and see if that gets you a less stutter free experience.

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 31 Mar 2015, 02:43

^you mean "less stutter-y," I think (not less stutter free)?