Does Gsync Fix Micro hitching/Stutter?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
dosel

Does Gsync Fix Micro hitching/Stutter?

Post by dosel » 08 Mar 2015, 18:44

I know Gsync fixes the microstutter when Vsync is on, but does it fix the hitching and stutter I notice in nearly every game I have? I am talking about when a game looks fine but then I move or look around it the screen freezes for a micro second or so and returns to normal. I have done everything from unparking, updating drivers, disabling windows defender, tuning my bios, and upgrading my pc and No matter what I do it does not go away. I have been complaining about this for 2 years and had 3 PC's since then.

Here are some videos of what I am talking about, notice the long hitchings compared to the short micro stutters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inUsXEM2Tms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pz3L8MtNwA

aeliusg

Re: Does Gsync Fix Micro hitching/Stutter?

Post by aeliusg » 08 Mar 2015, 18:48

What's your current system and what are the games? Can't say G-sync fixes what shouldn't happen in the first place.

dosel

Post by dosel » 08 Mar 2015, 19:20

Gtx 780
i5 3570k 4.7 ghz
g skill 1333mhz 7-7-7-21 8gb
msi g 45 mobo
650 watt Seasonic 650x psu
samsunng 840 250gb ssd OS and 500gb for steam library

Games that stutter:

Skyrim, fallout 3 and new vegas - Known for terrible stutters
Red orchestra 2
Arma 2,3
DAYZ!!!!!
Metro 2033+last light
EVERYTHING, and i mean EVERYTHING made by ubisoft (farcry 2, 3 ,4 assassins creed's (all), the crew, etc)
bf3
bf4
PLANETSIDE 2 <----- THIS ONE ESPICIALLY
rust
h1z1

Games that run perfect
War thunder
Just cause 2
Payday 2
crysis 2

I literally have done everything I could, I don't think I am missing anything. My first PC had the same cpu but a 660ti and a hard drive. I built a new system, with new ram, ssd, new gpu, new tower, but transplanted the cpu and psu into this box. Maybe I should replace the PSU? It is a known brand and in the Bios it runs 12V on the PCI rail. The event viewer has no WHEA loggers, the voltage is sufficient for my 4.7 ghz overclock (and it stuttered the same before I OC'd it.)

One thing though, running on integrated graphics for some games the stutter was absolutely gone. The fps was lower but the stutter was simply not there. I ran an fps limiter on the same games with the GPU installed and it stuttered. The drivers are the latest. When I built a new PC the OS was on a new drive entirly and thus a new clean install. I played with NVCP options like pre rendered frames, 3x buffering, to no avail. I am thinking Gsync might fix this or maybe just ditch nvidia and get an AMD. Or maybe get a new CPU but that should not be the case since my usage is 50-60% mostly. I am running a VG24QE monitor @ 144hz. It is the non gsync versionh

I think I might just go back to the console, this is just not worth it. The stutter isnt bad, its just it bothers me. I never noticed it on the xbox or ps3.

aeliusg

Post by aeliusg » 08 Mar 2015, 19:38

You said you kept the processor, what about the mobo? Seasonic PSUs are supposed to be the best out there, so I don't know about that.

I play most of those games, and I never got hitching even before I got a G-sync monitor. It might be your mouse, too, but since you say it doesn't happen with integrated, maybe not.

Anyway, try changing the power setting: http://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/commen ... _everyone/

How are your GPU temps, too?

dosel

Post by dosel » 08 Mar 2015, 19:52

The mobo is good, its MSI. And I already did that in the link. That had no effect, neither settings.

Pc gaming is really pissing me off that I spent thousands and put up with years of shitty expiereince and I keep throwing more money down the drain. My gpu temp is 65C max, CPU temp is 50C max, it is watercooled

dosel

Post by dosel » 08 Mar 2015, 19:59

I don't think its my CPU becuase my first PC i took the CPU out of it in my new PC, and put a i5 3330 in the old system to sell it to my brother. Fallout new vegas I tested and it was the same type of stuttering. I also built a friend a PC with a crap fx 4300 in it and it also had the same exact type of stutter in newvegas, and my friend has an fx 6300 cpu and r9 260x, he claims he has none, yet i have seen him play and it stutters, but he claims he doesn't see anything???? Maybe I am the one who needs checked lol. What really angers me is that I want it fixed, and nobody has compassion and they say its just my computer, or its just me who has this issue, becuase if it was just my PC, Then It would be gone by now because I had like 3 Computers that did this. Its like if you bought a brand new car and it has something wrong with the engine, you take it to the dealer and it runs fine, but whenever you drive it it will act up. You buy a new car and the same thing happens, you can't escape it. Its terrible.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 08 Mar 2015, 20:26

Do you have a lot of programs running in the background? could be a OS thing.

dosel

Post by dosel » 08 Mar 2015, 20:47

Only programs are logitech gaming software and MSI afterburner for fan monitioring. I make everything lean, no background programs. I even have defender and firewall disabled, that helped a little bit

aeliusg

Post by aeliusg » 08 Mar 2015, 21:04

dosel wrote:I don't think its my CPU becuase my first PC i took the CPU out of it in my new PC, and put a i5 3330 in the old system to sell it to my brother. Fallout new vegas I tested and it was the same type of stuttering. I also built a friend a PC with a crap fx 4300 in it and it also had the same exact type of stutter in newvegas, and my friend has an fx 6300 cpu and r9 260x, he claims he has none, yet i have seen him play and it stutters, but he claims he doesn't see anything???? Maybe I am the one who needs checked lol. What really angers me is that I want it fixed, and nobody has compassion and they say its just my computer, or its just me who has this issue, becuase if it was just my PC, Then It would be gone by now because I had like 3 Computers that did this. Its like if you bought a brand new car and it has something wrong with the engine, you take it to the dealer and it runs fine, but whenever you drive it it will act up. You buy a new car and the same thing happens, you can't escape it. Its terrible.
Maybe you should give G-sync a try. Sounds like you are the type who is sensitive to framerate fluctuations even at high fps. G-sync helps a lot with smoothness and continuity IMO. Still, I don't get how you can stand console gaming if that's the case. Do you have an Xbox One or PS4 controller? Try playing with that and see if it feels different. If your system is 100% it may be just that you aren't used to the way the mouse moves in PC games.

I've been playing a lot of DayZ and ArmA III lately, and I can say that G-sync makes it a whole different experience in those two games, especially when you have servers and areas with really low fps. Night and day difference in the feel of smoothness you get.

Might be worth a try. I've got a PG278Q/Rog Swift.

dosel

Post by dosel » 08 Mar 2015, 21:12

My main issue is framerate fluctuations at high fps. Its not noticeable on 30 or even 60fps as much. But having high fps and any nicks its just a choppy mess. I will try that monitor. Iheard bad things about it on reviews like on newegg.