nVidia Interview - Why G-Sync Is Superior to FreeSync

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
jts888

Re: nVidia Interview - Why G-Sync Is Superior to FreeSync

Post by jts888 » 25 Mar 2015, 23:50

nimbulan wrote:I believe the point he's trying to make is that the amount of overdrive needed is dependent on the refresh rate, hence the G-Sync module keeping previous frames in memory and adjusting overdrive calculations on a per-frame basis. Every G-Sync monitor will have this capability but most FreeSync monitors will not.
I understand his point, but I think it's founded in ignorance. An overdrive spike only lasts the first 1-1.5 ms of an at most 6.9 ms (at 144 Hz) frame. If it looks decent at the maximum frame rate, it will look equally good for lower rates. The review video appears to have no overdrive at all, and it seems more plausible to me that the monitors in question just cheaped out on their T-CONs or didn't have supplemental frame buffers for overdrive calculations.

FWIW, TFT Central claims a different panel altogether was used for the BenQ vs. the Asus ROG Swift though, which could be part of a simpler explanation:
https://twitter.com/tftcentral/status/5 ... 7010649088

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 26 Mar 2015, 22:49

lexlazootin wrote:Thats interesting, does anyone know if the GSYNC mode fixes the intense over shoot of Overdrive? because ATM that's one of my main complaints of my Benq monitor.
A little update, I got my 970 and holy shit is the overdrive SO MUCH better, almost perfect now. I wish I could show you but even on the Ghosting ufo test I can not see any overdrive artifacts and motion blur is very minimal. Amazing, I'm finally happy with my monitor.

Mdubz

Post by Mdubz » 03 Apr 2015, 03:12

lexlazootin wrote:
lexlazootin wrote:Thats interesting, does anyone know if the GSYNC mode fixes the intense over shoot of Overdrive? because ATM that's one of my main complaints of my Benq monitor.
A little update, I got my 970 and holy shit is the overdrive SO MUCH better, almost perfect now. I wish I could show you but even on the Ghosting ufo test I can not see any overdrive artifacts and motion blur is very minimal. Amazing, I'm finally happy with my monitor.
What card did you upgrade from to see such a huge improvement in overdrive? Also, I wasn't aware the GPU directly effects overdrive, I thought it was strictly monitor based.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 03 Apr 2015, 04:33

I was using a AMD card on the BenQ XL2420G Gsync monitor and it wasn't using the GSync module, But when I finally upgraded to a Nvidia graphics card the Gsync module was being used and it uses it's own overdrive. The experience was night and day.

There is no way I can recommend a benq monitor unless you get the Gsync one because the colour and overdrive set by Benq is a nightmare. All the colours were off by a lot and it put me off playing and the overdrive was very extreme and noticeable on every edge and corner when I rotated my POV with my mouse in games. Even with hours of customizing everything I couldn't get certain colours like Yellows to look correct.

What ever the GSync module does to colour and overdrive is god damn amazing, benq should just stop and let someone who knows what they are doing take over because when i had my amd card i was so pissed with my new $800aud dollar monitor. The only problem I have now is the colour dithering that happens at high refreshrates.

whitespider

Post by whitespider » 12 Apr 2015, 20:33

It also shows you exactly how important what nividia is doing on the gsync end of things is.