Cap FPS internally or externally?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Sparky

Re: Cap FPS internally or externally?

Post by Sparky » 27 Mar 2015, 02:58

spacediver wrote:I *think* I'm starting to understand.

So there is:

1) the delay between input and that input being reflected in a (buffered) frame.
2) the delay between the creation of that buffered frame, and that frame being drawn on the screen.

Now what about the server or game world simulation (dunno what the correct term is here)? Let's say it takes 100 ms for a button press to be reflected in the next available buffered frame, and another 100 ms for that frame to be displayed on my screen. In the gameworld, when does that button press occur? Is it T+100ms (where T is moment of button press)?
It's a bit more complicated. I'll try to explain what happens to your input as it works it's way through the system:

Okay, you press the button, the first thing that notices is the microcontroller in the mouse, which sends it to the PC the next time it's polled.
[physical button actuation]

[mouse calculation](should be negligible, but some mice are programmed poorly) 0~several ms. (very few reviewers measure this)
[usb polling delay](random delay between 0 and usb polling interval) Most gaming mice have 1ms polling, so 0~1ms.

Next, your input waits in a buffer until the next time the game engine(CPU) checks for it.
[input buffer](random delay between 0ms and 1/framerate.)

[in game framerate cap] (delays the CPU's start on next frame while allowing input buffer to keep gathering user input)

Next, the CPU grabs input and starts work on the frame, deciding what the GPU should draw. This can only start if the Driver buffer is empty. (unless you have a render ahead limit greater than zero)
[CPU calculations] (this is less than or equal to 1/framerate. depending on if you're CPU limited.)

Next, the frame waits until the GPU is ready to start working on a new frame.
[Driver buffer](if you're limited by CPU or an in-game framerate cap this is 0ms. If you're not CPU limited, this = 1/framerate - CPU calculation time.
[gpu framerate cap] (I could be wrong about this, but I think a gpu framerate cap just stops the GPU from working on a frame based on how long it took to finish the last frame. If it spoofs a full driver buffer when it's really empty, that could achieve lower input lag. Hard to find good information on this, and it could be implemented differently in all the different driver based framerate limiters. Frame pacing algorithms can also throw a monkey wrench in here. I'll post a followup question in flood's input lag thread.) Edit: On AMD cards, Rivatuner appears to prevent the GPU from working on a frame, keeping the driver queue full with a real frame, Radeonpro DFC appears to block buffer flips after the GPU has worked on a frame, causing 1 additional frame of input lag over rivatuner, and 2 frames over a cpu based framerate cap.

Next the GPU starts working on the frame(the frame is stored in the back buffer during GPU calculations)*
[GPU calculations/back buffer](Calculation time is less than or equal to 1/framerate, depending on if you're GPU limited.)
Next the back buffer becomes the front buffer, and the frame is scanned out to the display(This is called a buffer flip. If you have v-sync on this can only happen when the monitor is between refresh cycles. With VRR, a buffer flip causes the monitor to start a new refresh cycle.)
[v-sync delay, if applicable](round 1/framerate up to next full multiple of refresh rate)
[front buffer](1/ current refresh rate or 1/max refresh rate, depending on if you're in fixed or VRR mode).
now the display starts to show the result of that input.
[display](processing time + pixel transition time, some reviewers measure this).

So with an in game cap you do see latency from the input buffer, but the input buffer doesn't 'wait' for the next frame, it just accumulates input there until the game engine is ready for it.

*there is a second back buffer used for triple buffered v-sync, so that if the buffer cannot be flipped when the gpu finishes a frame, the gpu can switch to the second back buffer and keep working, instead of sitting idle until the next buffer flip. Without it, v-sync causes framerate to drop to half the refresh rate if you can't maintain framerate equal to refresh rate. The disadvantage is either dropped frames or an extra frame of input lag when you can pump out frames faster than your display refreshes.
Last edited by Sparky on 11 Apr 2015, 07:40, edited 1 time in total.

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 27 Mar 2015, 16:53

dmbr wrote:
sharknice wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Edmond wrote:Well, no... with gsync it doesnt matter....

You might as well cap it globally with rivatuner statistics server, just cuz its easier
Capping framerate anywhere but in game adds input latency. The further down the pipeline you cap framerate, the more input latency you add.
Yep. If you cap in-game the game will wait a little bit and grab newer input then send it off to be rendered. If you cap at the driver level the game will grab input right away then send it off.
That makes external capping sound superior?
Nope, for lower input lag you want the input to be taken to be as close to when the frame is displayed as possible. With in-game frame caps the game engine can estimate how long it should wait before it grabs input based on how long the last frame took to render. If you use an external frame-rate cap at the driver level the game engine doesn't have that information so it just grabs the input right away and sends it off. So once the frame is rendered it is based on older input which means more input lag.

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 27 Mar 2015, 19:27

Sparky wrote:
It's a bit more complicated. I'll try to explain what happens to your input as it works it's way through the system:
thanks, appreciate your effort here :)

Sparky wrote: Okay, you press the button, the first thing that notices is the microcontroller in the mouse, which sends it to the PC the next time it's polled.
[physical button actuation]

[mouse calculation](should be negligible, but some mice are programmed poorly) 0~several ms. (very few reviewers measure this)
[usb polling delay](random delay between 0 and usb polling interval) Most gaming mice have 1ms polling, so 0~1ms.
I'm able to follow the part above.

Sparky wrote: Next, your input waits in a buffer until the next time the game engine(CPU) checks for it.
[input buffer](random delay between 0ms and 1/framerate.)

[in game framerate cap] (delays the CPU's start on next frame while allowing input buffer to keep gathering user input)
This is where I'm tripping up. So I get the part about the input waiting in a buffer until the next time the game engine checks for it. But when you refer to "framerate" here (the one I've bolded in your quote above), are you referring to the server world framerate, or something else? And in the next line, ([in game framerate cap]), is this referring to another stage of processing after the input buffer stage? Or are you describing the input buffer stage here. And what do you mean by "delaying the CPU's start on next frame"? Is "start on next frame" a term here? Or did you mean delaying the start of the CPU until the next frame begins? And what exactly about the CPU is being delayed? Monitoring the input?

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 27 Mar 2015, 19:38

I'm referring to the same framerate that gets displayed on your screen. If your framerate is 100frames per second, the game engine checks for input data once every 1/100 of a second, so your mouse click is sitting in the input buffer anywhere from 0 to 10ms.

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 27 Mar 2015, 19:44

so your framerate actually affects when events happen *in the game world*? I never conceived of that before. I thought events in the gameworld were completely independent of one's framerate, but that was just a naive assumption.

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 27 Mar 2015, 19:50

spacediver wrote:so your framerate actually affects when events happen *in the game world*? I never conceived of that before. I thought events in the gameworld were completely independent of one's framerate, but that was just a naive assumption.
not necessarily, but that is game specific. Some games have a simulation step that's unrelated to how frequently it renders a new frame, and some inputs, like mouse movement in a FPS, don't really care what's happening in the game engine simulation, it just changes the direction the camera's pointing.

Alexious

Post by Alexious » 04 Apr 2015, 02:58

The problem is that many games don't really offer the opportunity to cap FPS internally. My question, then: is RSS good enough in all those remaining games, and did NVIDIA fix their driver level frame limiter?