g sync effecting my benchmark scores

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
homework

g sync effecting my benchmark scores

Post by homework » 28 Mar 2015, 19:18

I noticed when i run benchmarks like heaven or firestrike with gsync on i get lower scores. With my gtx780 on factory clocks in heaven benchmark I score 1477 gsync on and 1499 with gsync off then when I OC my video card +50 core + 500 mem then my scores are 1561 with gsync on and 1609 with gsync off. So 110 point increase with gysnc off and only 84 point increase with gsync on. The numbers in firestrike were similar making it seem like my OC isnt as effective with gsync on. I was wondering if anyone has played around with this and can tell me if the newer cards or SLI set ups have similar results.

sharknice

Re: g sync effecting my benchmark scores

Post by sharknice » 29 Mar 2015, 16:16

homework wrote:I noticed when i run benchmarks like heaven or firestrike with gsync on i get lower scores. With my gtx780 on factory clocks in heaven benchmark I score 1477 gsync on and 1499 with gsync off then when I OC my video card +50 core + 500 mem then my scores are 1561 with gsync on and 1609 with gsync off. So 110 point increase with gysnc off and only 84 point increase with gsync on. The numbers in firestrike were similar making it seem like my OC isnt as effective with gsync on. I was wondering if anyone has played around with this and can tell me if the newer cards or SLI set ups have similar results.
Because it caps the framerate.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 29 Mar 2015, 16:41

You need to bench with a frame rate cap when having g-sync off for comparable results.

On a 144Hz monitor, cap to 144FPS with g-sync off. Remove the cap for the g-sync on bench. Then compare. This will give you an actually useful comparison of the g-sync overhead.

You should be able to use RTSS for capping (comes with both MSI Afterburner as well as EVGA Precision.) Or NVidia Inspector if you want to use the driver's frame rate limiter. RTSS is easier to use for this.

EVGA Precision should also have an easy to use limiter in its main window (no need to open the RTSS window.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

homework

Post by homework » 31 Mar 2015, 01:08

In neither of those test do my max fps get near 144 so gsync capping the frames at 144 is not the issue. I read that having gsync on lowers your performance by like 1% which seems true but its lowering my performance more the higher I OC my single GTX 780 gigabyte ghz edition. In Heaven -22 at stock vs -48 with a slight OC . i was curious with people that have 970s that have larger headroom with a OC maybe effected more by the lowering of performance with gsync on.

The only negative i know of from OCing is your frame times might go up. Could my frame times going up or having spikes in frame time cause gsync to produce less fps in a benchmark?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 31 Mar 2015, 12:57

Unless you cap your framerate, I'm not really going to consider anything you write :-/
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

homework

Post by homework » 01 Apr 2015, 00:20

Capping the fps isnt going to matter if in the benchmark i dont even get that high.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/K/7/414151 ... /metro.png
Last edited by homework on 03 Apr 2015, 10:45, edited 2 times in total.

MrBrown

Post by MrBrown » 03 Apr 2015, 03:01

Gsync does affect performance if that's what u wanted to hear, esp with the latest drivers. some Previous drivers have less impact on the performance. I would say sync affects performance by 2-5% in my games.
Falkentynes BenQ Service Menu thread: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467

Mdubz

Post by Mdubz » 03 Apr 2015, 03:17

MrBrown wrote:Gsync does affect performance if that's what u wanted to hear, esp with the latest drivers. some Previous drivers have less impact on the performance. I would say sync affects performance by 2-5% in my games.
This is really interesting to note, I've never seen this claimed anywhere but it does match up with the OP's numbers. While a 2-5% performance decrease isn't much, it certainly is something to consider.

homework

Post by homework » 03 Apr 2015, 06:34

just like the other day i read an interview with some AMD employee and he was claiming that in some game that gsync will cause you like a 1% decrease in fps and freesync will gain you like a tenth of a fps or some bullshit that makes freesync seem better. And then the next day some nvidia employee did an interview with Forbes and hes like yea so what gsync looks better and has less ghosting so who cares about 1% when you are getting a better image. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ylLnT2yKyA

In firestike with gysnc on when i was at stock clocks there were like no difference in the fps in the 2 graphic tests but when i OC my card +50 core +500 mem there was like a .3 fps difference with gysnc on and off.

It looks like the fps you loose with gysnc is when there is when there are spikes http://media.bestofmicro.com/K/7/414151 ... /metro.png

I guess when im Ocing my card it causes more spikes than without and thats why i loose more fps with my oc and gysnc on.