Adaptive Sync and different brains

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
whitespider

Adaptive Sync and different brains

Post by whitespider » 10 Apr 2015, 18:37

I've read every post on this board, and while a lot of people have some fantastic knowledge, everything about our individual perception are not taken into consideration. I think it's relevant, because a lot of people complain about gsync not fixing stutter, not looking good at low framerates, etc. And they make valid points, gsync does not take care of many kinds of stutter.

I've got a neurological condition called visual snow, my brain lacks the comfortable visual filter a lot of you guys have. So I tend to notice microstutter, and frame variance stutter dramatically more. Many others without my condition also have 'sensitive' brains. These are usually the people that notice it most.

From what i've noticed, about1 in 10 people posting seem to have a sensitive brain in this way, to some degree. They are usually the people that will see a choppiness with a great deal of clarity, so in a lot of game engines they will notice a rapid choppiness when the framerate goes from 59 to 44 vsync off. Those with less sensitive brains will notice it more in a reduction of sensitivity in controls. Since their sensitivity is stronger on a different level. They may refer to this drop in control sensitivity as "lag". Others, like a lot of you on blur busters, notice it in blurring (or a lack threof). I am of the belief that all of our brains have a filter, or post processing ability. It actually performs some interpolation, and some sensemaking of visuals. The thing is, that everyone has a slightly different version of this post processing filter. So we notice different things, since it's all we have known, we don't question it.

So trust me when I say that what gsync does for those with more sensitive brains, is significant. And "Lag and Stutter" are not always the same thing to one person as they are to another. I have noticed that gsync in particular addresses low end framerates with what appears to be a predictive frame pacing of some kind, this is subtle or non existent to those that have a brain filter that fills in the gaps. But for those more sensitive, it's wonderful.

For us, we'll notice the shifting of framerate as batman glides around in arkham city and not just the streaming stutter inherent to that particular game series while gliding. A single frame stutter is not that disturbing to someone with a sensitive brain as about 50 stutters per framerate variance.

To those of you that play on a normal monitor without gsync, and don't really notice or care. Your brain is essentially working as gsync for you. And that's a great thing. It does not mean you are deficient in any way. Quite the opposite, you have the superior genes/health/brain.

Gsync however, for those that have been noticing microstutter and frameshifting stutter for many years now, gsync means a lot more than something that simply address screen tearing. A hell of a lot more.

flood

Re: Adaptive Sync and different brains

Post by flood » 11 Apr 2015, 01:24

interesting

are you also more sensitive to strobing?

whitespider

Post by whitespider » 11 Apr 2015, 04:09

I noticed it a bit, but not extremely so.

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 11 Apr 2015, 05:05

whitespider wrote:in a lot of game engines they will notice a rapid choppiness when the framerate goes from 59 to 44 vsync off.
I don't have a G-Sync monitor, so I usually use adaptive vsync. When a game drops even a single frame (or just a few), let's say from 120fps to 119 or 117 fps, I notice it a lot. When a game has perfect frame pacing, the smoothness is in another level compared to imperfect games (many of them are unfixable).

Things I notice: motion blur, ghosting, crosstalk, overdrive artifacts, viewing angles, contrast, stuttering, microstuttering, judder, fps drops, difference of smoothness at different Hz, mouse microstutter, lack of antialiasing, lack of anisotropic filtering, and input lag (not to the extent of some people).

Every time I learned to see each of those things I couldn't stop seeing them.

The only thing that doesn't affect/bother me is color accuracy. I think I have protanomaly, so I can't see the the red component in all its strength. I distinguish pure colors easily, but lowering the red component a lot in my monitor has little effect for me, while lowering green or blue just a bit changes the image a lot.

I guess I'm part of that 10% you say :P .
whitespider wrote:Gsync however, for those that have been noticing microstutter and frameshifting stutter for many years now, gsync means a lot more than something that simply address screen tearing. A hell of a lot more.
I'd love G-Sync if motion blur didn't annoy me. I'm happy being able to use blur reduction at any refresh rate over 50Hz (included). I adjust the refresh rate depending on the fps I get in games so they don't drop below the refresh rate (mostly). Manual G-Sync :lol: .
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 17 Apr 2015, 02:14

Long time no see, Spidey. Which GS monitor did you get in the end?

I have indeed wondered whether our brains are different. I'd seen posts of yours in which you'd refer to Game X stuttering in a way that I'd never been able to reproduce.

At the time, I'd wondered if it was a kind of stutter that was more obvious on NV hardware than AMD, though I remember that you've used GPUs from both manufacturers.