G-sync running on desktop

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
fenderjaguar

G-sync running on desktop

Post by fenderjaguar » 13 Apr 2015, 13:52

I'm pretty sure this is a bug, not a newly implemented feature, but I just installed the latest nvidia drivers that were released today for GTA V, and g-sync won't turn off on the desktop. The reason I noticed this instantly was I use ULMB on desktop permanently, simply because the monitor is too bright even on the lowest settings.

I've already tried games in borderless window mode and the refresh doesn't match the frame rate (I can tell by capping at like 30 fps and looking for that speckled like film grain you see at sub -40hz whatever)

flood

Re: G-sync running on desktop

Post by flood » 13 Apr 2015, 14:07

if it reduces the vsync input lag for aero i'd gladly accept this bug as a feature

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 13 Apr 2015, 14:29

I doubt it would, since it would be running at max refresh. So same input lag as vsync I think...

0134RY73

Post by 0134RY73 » 13 Apr 2015, 15:40

All you have to do with that is uncheck enable G sync in Nvidia Control Panel :)
fenderjaguar wrote:I'm pretty sure this is a bug, not a newly implemented feature, but I just installed the latest nvidia drivers that were released today for GTA V, and g-sync won't turn off on the desktop. The reason I noticed this instantly was I use ULMB on desktop permanently, simply because the monitor is too bright even on the lowest settings.

I've already tried games in borderless window mode and the refresh doesn't match the frame rate (I can tell by capping at like 30 fps and looking for that speckled like film grain you see at sub -40hz whatever)

CalmDownMonkey

Post by CalmDownMonkey » 13 Apr 2015, 16:31

I'm experiencing this too, ever since installing this driver.

I tried going into "Manage 3D Settings" and forcing the global default to be "Off" instead of "G-SYNC", and also forcing it off specifically on explorer.exe, but this seemed to have no effect.

I can trick it to go into ULMB by changing my monitor refresh rate, but G-SYNC kicks in again after a few seconds.

Disabling G-SYNC entirely isn't ideal, as it means going back into the control panel and enabling it again before each game.

Anyone found a better workaround?

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 13 Apr 2015, 16:40

0134RY73 wrote:All you have to do with that is uncheck enable G sync in Nvidia Control Panel :)
Thanks, but I think calmonkeydown pretty much summed it up in his last sentance.

BTW, what monitor you have calmonkeydown?

Joolsyz

Post by Joolsyz » 13 Apr 2015, 20:42

The latest drivers have messed up G-Sync for me too, Max payne 3 barely playable with it.

GameLifter

Post by GameLifter » 13 Apr 2015, 21:49

I'm getting this as well. Is G-Sync really running on the desktop or is it a bug? I'm guessing it's not really running. Ironically the reason I downloaded these drivers is because G-Sync wouldn't re-enable in Bulletstorm after I played it in ULMB mode for a little while. Luckily the game works in G-Sync mode now.

Joolsyz

Post by Joolsyz » 13 Apr 2015, 22:20

Not sure but there's something not right as it wouldn't detect my refresh rates properly under G-Sync, I only went with the latest drivers because of GTA V, but since that doesn't work too well with G-Sync anyway I've gone back to 347.88 and all is fine again.

GameLifter

Post by GameLifter » 13 Apr 2015, 22:59

Joolsyz wrote:Not sure but there's something not right as it wouldn't detect my refresh rates properly under G-Sync, I only went with the latest drivers because of GTA V, but since that doesn't work too well with G-Sync anyway I've gone back to 347.88 and all is fine again.
Weird..... I just switched between all the refresh rates at the desktop and they all worked but it would sometimes cycle between ULMB, normal, and the switch to G-Sync.

Edit: Also, when I toggle between G-Sync and no G-Sync at the desktop the screen flashes as if it's trying to activate G-Sync or something at least.