G-sync running on desktop

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Edmond

Re: G-sync running on desktop

Post by Edmond » 14 Apr 2015, 00:51

play a 48 fps and then 24 and then 30 fps movie in fullscreen with fraps on... see what happens

GameLifter

Post by GameLifter » 14 Apr 2015, 09:54

Edmond wrote:play a 48 fps and then 24 and then 30 fps movie in fullscreen with fraps on... see what happens
I've played videos before with fraps on and it would almost always show the frame rate of the video but it wouldn't give any indication of the refresh rate. Is there a way I can tell what the refresh rate is as well? I watched a YouTube video last night after getting these drivers and I couldn't immediately tell if there was a difference.

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 14 Apr 2015, 10:02

no, as I already said, the refresh rate does not match the frame rate.

You can tell by putting your face really close to the screen and looking for the speckled grainy appearance at sub 40hz. Certainly noticable at ~30hz with your eyes 6 inches from the screen.

Despite the bugs promise, you'll still have to play games like the evil within in borderless with no gsync

GameLifter

Post by GameLifter » 14 Apr 2015, 10:57

fenderjaguar wrote:no, as I already said, the refresh rate does not match the frame rate.

You can tell by putting your face really close to the screen and looking for the speckled grainy appearance at sub 40hz. Certainly noticable at ~30hz with your eyes 6 inches from the screen.

Despite the bugs promise, you'll still have to play games like the evil within in borderless with no gsync
I see. It makes me wonder if the monitor is still attempting to run G-Sync on the desktop since the screen flashes when you first enable it. This whole things is just weird to me, lol!

CalmDownMonkey

Post by CalmDownMonkey » 14 Apr 2015, 11:40

fenderjaguar wrote:BTW, what monitor you have calmonkeydown?
ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q

I can tell G-SYNC is running because of the red LED on the monitor, and the fact it won't allow ULMB @ 120hz.

It also struggles to change refresh rate from the OSD after this driver - it seems to freeze the OSD for 5-10 seconds, then either changes the refresh rate as requested, or just does nothing.

Joolsyz

Post by Joolsyz » 14 Apr 2015, 11:45

Well something isn't right, Max Payne 3 was running in slow motion with G-Sync enabled on the new drivers and when i say slow motion I mean the framerate was hovering at anything from 5-20 frames with G-Sync enabled, odd. I'll stick with 347.88 for the time being. Refresh rate in games seemed screwed too, it wouldn't use anything less than 144hz.

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 14 Apr 2015, 12:23

GameLifter wrote:It makes me wonder if the monitor is still attempting to run G-Sync on the desktop since the screen flashes when you first enable it
It possibly is running with gsync, but it'll only run at max refresh. I don't think the windows desktop composition ever drops frames, since your mouse cursor always moves at the same frame rate. Anything within a window is just internal to that, so gsync doesn't match itself to that. A little like playing a game at 60 fps or whatever frame rate, but certain effects (like crowds waving arms, or trees blowing about and shadows moving) are running at lower frame rates like 30 fps in some games.

CalmDownMonkey

Post by CalmDownMonkey » 14 Apr 2015, 13:01

There's widespread complaints on the official nvidia forum about this exact issue. Doesn't look like they've acknowledged it yet though; the only nvidia response said "It might say GSYNC is on for the desktop, but actually it's not", which doesn't really help as it blocks you out of using ULMB.

I've rolled back and am happy again =)

GameLifter

Post by GameLifter » 14 Apr 2015, 13:26

fenderjaguar wrote:
GameLifter wrote:It makes me wonder if the monitor is still attempting to run G-Sync on the desktop since the screen flashes when you first enable it
It possibly is running with gsync, but it'll only run at max refresh. I don't think the windows desktop composition ever drops frames, since your mouse cursor always moves at the same frame rate. Anything within a window is just internal to that, so gsync doesn't match itself to that. A little like playing a game at 60 fps or whatever frame rate, but certain effects (like crowds waving arms, or trees blowing about and shadows moving) are running at lower frame rates like 30 fps in some games.
Makes sense. The drivers haven't caused any other issues for me so far but I need to test it out more.

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 14 Apr 2015, 14:29

CalmDownMonkey wrote:I've rolled back and am happy again =)
Same here. Ironically, I think even GTA V runs better. Worst driver ever that