G-sync running on desktop

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
GameLifter

Re: G-sync running on desktop

Post by GameLifter » 18 Apr 2015, 14:07

Joolsyz wrote:Quote from the Geforce forums.

"In our R349 drivers including 350.12, when G-SYNC is enabled in the NV Control Panel, it is always enabled and now supersedes in-game settings. A consequence for example, is that an end-user wanting to use ULMB mode in a game, must first turn-off G-SYNC in the NV Control Panel. We are investigating alternatives for a future driver release, but for now, use the NV Control Panel to turn off G-SYNC before using ULMB mode."
I actually don't mind this since I've run into a few instances where G-Sync wouldn't re-enable in games after turning it off for troubleshooting or to activate ULMB. An alternative to having to disable G-Sync every time for ULMB would be nice, though. Also, the next driver update will hopefully fix the other issues we've been reporting.

whitespider

Post by whitespider » 23 Apr 2015, 10:54

fenderjaguar wrote:
CalmDownMonkey wrote:it is indeed intentional
But why though? I don't understand what this makes better? Why would they do this..if there was something wrong with how it worked before, I could understand
1. Graphics engines that only run in windowed borderless mode (Unity (responsible for almost all early access games), unreal 4, and dozens more, including many AAA titles)

2. 1:1 refresh matching playback of movieplayers that don't support fullscreen

3. 1:1 refresh matching gameplay of emulators that don't support fullscreen (90% of emulators)

4. Webpage implications (youtube 1:1 refresh playback of 60fps content, scrolling?)

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 23 Apr 2015, 17:38

whitespider wrote:1. Graphics engines that only run in windowed borderless mode (Unity (responsible for almost all early access games), unreal 4, and dozens more, including many AAA titles)

2. 1:1 refresh matching playback of movieplayers that don't support fullscreen

3. 1:1 refresh matching gameplay of emulators that don't support fullscreen (90% of emulators)

4. Webpage implications (youtube 1:1 refresh playback of 60fps content, scrolling?)
Some of those would be good points. Apart from number 2, since gsync can't refresh at 24hz and since we already have perfect refresh multiple sync with 120hz and 144hz. Also, some of those engines you mention can indeed run in true fullscreen. For example, lifeless planet runs in unity and that runs fine with gsync. As does daylight, which is unreal 4. I'm not saying there aren't examples of games that won't run in true fullscreen, but the only examples I've come across are the long dark and the evil within.

oh btw, if you were looking to use gsync with some emulators, when wrappers like mednaffen or retroarch are used, those same emulators can indeed run fullscreen.

However, none of them are good points, not whilst gsync simply isn't working like that at all with windowed stuff or borderless fullscreen stuff. All it's doing is running a max refresh from the desktop composition. Every other frame rate is just internal to that. It's effectively no different than either vsync or desktop composition vsync, at least at the moment. I mean, if that were to change, I'd gladly take one for the team and swallow no ULMB without fiddling.

This doesn't do anything good at all. All it does is make us continuously keep having to switch gsync off and on, if we want to use ULMB.

kalston

Post by kalston » 24 Apr 2015, 02:05

It's simply broken, I have Aero off and the monitor still sometimes says g-sync is ON on the desktop (even though I don't even have v-sync and dragging windows shows some very obvious tearing). I'm not sure why those changes would be any good for Windows 10 which is after all very similar to Windows 8.1 but eh, hopefully nvidia knows what they are doing :p

whitespider

Post by whitespider » 25 Apr 2015, 17:55

kalston wrote:It's simply broken, I have Aero off and the monitor still sometimes says g-sync is ON on the desktop (even though I don't even have v-sync and dragging windows shows some very obvious tearing). I'm not sure why those changes would be any good for Windows 10 which is after all very similar to Windows 8.1 but eh, hopefully nvidia knows what they are doing :p
Ah I see. If they did what I thought they did, which is make gsync actually 'function' as gsync. Then that'd be a different story.