It's now possible to disable vsync when reaching monitor cap

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
RealNC
Site Admin

It's now possible to disable vsync when reaching monitor cap

Post by RealNC » 18 May 2015, 11:31

Just saw this today in the latest Linux driver release (2015.5.18, 352.09 beta):
Added support for G-SYNC with sync-to-vblank disabled. This allows applications to use G-SYNC to eliminate tearing for frame rates below the monitor's maximum refresh rate but allow tearing above the maximum refresh rate in order to minimize latency.

When G-SYNC is active and sync-to-vblank is enabled, the frame rate is limited to the monitor's maximum refresh rate.
So it's now possible to avoid input-lag when the frame rate reaches the monitor's maximum refresh rate by allowing tearing. This sounds like a good idea, since if you reach 144FPS, tearing would not be very noticeable to begin with.

Was this already supported in Windows? I don't remember this one. If not, I would assume that function will reach Windows users in the next driver release.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

flood

Re: It's now possible to disable vsync when reaching monitor

Post by flood » 18 May 2015, 23:45

yup, as far as latency is concerned, this is pretty much the ideal way to handle things

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 19 May 2015, 00:41

For me running windows 8.1 and the latest nvidia drivers, it's impossible to get over 144fps because the nvidia drivers will cap it for me when Gsync is enabled.

Edit: I also feel like this transition would be VERY jarring to watch. Not only does Gsync eliminate tearing it also makes you feel like you are getting a much higher fps then you actually are. So it might feel like you are getting ~140hz then suddenly reaching the cap you are getting ~90hz plus tearing.

Might be better if someone just writes a linux program to cap fps :)

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 19 May 2015, 15:36

So did they fix the GSYNC always on thing too? I've been avoiding upgrading because of that.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 20 May 2015, 01:05

sharknice wrote:So did they fix the GSYNC always on thing too? I've been avoiding upgrading because of that.
On windows or linux? in windows there is a tick box that disables it just fine.

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 20 May 2015, 02:48

lexlazootin wrote:
sharknice wrote:So did they fix the GSYNC always on thing too? I've been avoiding upgrading because of that.
Windows. I don't want to have to uncheck it to turn it off on the desktop.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 20 May 2015, 03:28

sharknice wrote:
lexlazootin wrote:
Windows. I don't want to have to uncheck it to turn it off on the desktop.
Ok, I'm really curious, why don't you want Gsync on the desktop?

dmbr

Post by dmbr » 21 May 2015, 01:36

So wait, is this option available to Windows, too?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 21 May 2015, 13:06

I don't think g-sync works on the desktop, actually. It only works with exclusive fullscreen applications.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 21 May 2015, 13:07

dmbr wrote:So wait, is this option available to Windows, too?
He was talking about disabling g-sync altogether. I don't think disabling v-sync when reaching the cap works yet on Windows.