XL2420G brightness

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
tesla

XL2420G brightness

Post by tesla » 30 Jun 2015, 08:37

I have recently bought an Benq XL2420G. The monitor and the g sync technology is really good for an gamer like me. However I have found something weird. The brightness is not uniform in the monitor. The screen bottom is brighter than the top one, and the top left corner is a little darker. I can appreciate this issue only when I display the same color in the screen. I have returned several monitors, but I have received always another one with the same problem. I am wondering if this is something normal. I will appreciate if any owner of this monitor could verify if they have the same issue. As I said, the test is simple, display at full screen the same color. You can try it using this website: http://jasonfarrell.com/misc/deadpixeltest.php The problem is quite evident with the green color.

lexlazootin

Re: XL2420G brightness

Post by lexlazootin » 01 Jul 2015, 03:07

yep, this is a problem with the technology in the monitor and not the monitor itself.

I have the same monitor and it sucks.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 01 Jul 2015, 03:27

tesla wrote:I have recently bought an Benq XL2420G. The monitor and the g sync technology is really good for an gamer like me. However I have found something weird. The brightness is not uniform in the monitor. The screen bottom is brighter than the top one, and the top left corner is a little darker. I can appreciate this issue only when I display the same color in the screen. I have returned several monitors, but I have received always another one with the same problem. I am wondering if this is something normal. I will appreciate if any owner of this monitor could verify if they have the same issue. As I said, the test is simple, display at full screen the same color. You can try it using this website: http://jasonfarrell.com/misc/deadpixeltest.php The problem is quite evident with the green color.
TN color shift.
perfectly normal.

Try moving your head ABOVE the monitor. The top left corner will return to a proper brightness, compared to the bottom (with the head in the same corresponding position).

You want an IPS monitor if you don't want to deal with that issue. or a CRT.

tesla

Post by tesla » 01 Jul 2015, 06:49

I am considering to return the monitor and try the AOC G2460PG. Is it a good monitor? Do you think I will have the same problem? What is the best one in your opinion? I would like to mention another issue with XL2420G. While G Sync is enabled I can´t change the color temperature, the menu option is disabled. It seems a nvidia drivers problem, did you notice it in your model?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 01 Jul 2015, 08:12

I have an XL2720Z, not the gsync model.

And your XL2420G has two scalers in 1--the gsync scaler and the normal MSTAR scaler.
The gsync scaler only allows displayport input, and it has limited functionality in the OSD.
The traditional Z scaler (Mstar) makes the monitor identical to a XL2420Z.

Many options when using the Gsync scaler must be changed directly in the Nvidia drivers. This is a limitation of the gsync hardware. Depending on what Nvidia allows or releases, different options will be available.

tesla

Post by tesla » 01 Jul 2015, 08:29

Thank Falkentyne for the information. What do you think about the monitor AOC G2460PG? I have taken a look to a possible ISP panel with G Sync. The best one is Acer XB270HU right now. My concerns are the price and the resolution, since I have a GTX 970 which is a good video card but it is not enough to keep 60 fps with high resolutions in the most recent games.

By the way, do you see the color shift in web sites with a horizontal banner with the same color on the top ?

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 01 Jul 2015, 12:16

tesla wrote:Thank Falkentyne for the information. What do you think about the monitor AOC G2460PG?
i've heard of people returning their monitor because they didn't like the quality of it. but you might want to look online for some reviews.
tesla wrote:The best one is Acer XB270HU right now. since I have a GTX 970 which is a good video card but it is not enough to keep 60 fps with high resolutions in the most recent games.
Damn right it looks like a good monitor, it will look 4times better then your XL2420G with higher DPI, better contrast, colour, almost no backlight bleed and almost no colour shift. Also something you need to consider is that 40fps Gsync looks about the same as 60fps non gsync because of the consistency of no frame tears or dropped frames so it might just be alright if you do go with that choice. ;)
tesla wrote:By the way, do you see the color shift in web sites with a horizontal banner with the same color on the top ?
sorry i don't quite understand :P

tesla

Post by tesla » 01 Jul 2015, 12:54

When I am in a web site where there is an area with the same color on the top, I can see the left side darker than the right side. Another quick test is using Steam. On the top, the brown color on the left side is darker than the right side.

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 01 Jul 2015, 14:22

tesla wrote:the top left corner is a little darker.
It also happens in my XL2411Z. Try these tests: http://jasonfarrell.com/misc/deadpixeltest.php?p=4

It's really weird that out of the three colors that aren't black or white, only with green I see the darkened top left corner.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 02 Jul 2015, 01:23

There's less of a light leak on the top left corner making it slightly darker. it might be easier to see on the green test because our eyes can distinguish between more shades of green than any other colour.

It's why the military uses green for night vision.