XB270HU Frame Cap in SLI issue

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
ssiperko

XB270HU Frame Cap in SLI issue

Post by ssiperko » 23 Jul 2015, 20:36

OK kind people here's my issue. Bare with me as I will try to be as detailed as possible.

Specs - everything I have runs 110% stable at the setting listed or better without fail.
EVGA 1200P2.
EVGA Z97 Classified with a 4790k running 4.8 @ 1.26v cooled by 960x55mm of EKWB components with push pull fans.
GSKillz Trident X 1866 at 2400 10-11-11-27 1t 1.65v 4x8GB.
Two EVGA GTX980 Classified K|NGP|IN SLI stable up to 1530/2050 @ 1.212v normal I run 1506/2000 24/7.
Samasung 840 EVO 1TB x2 SSD's.
Win 7 Pro and Win 8.1 in Dual boot.
Latest drivers for all parts including the monitor.
The monitor is connected to the card via a DP to mDP cable with no adapters and I have used the OE cable with the OE EVGA DP to mDP adapter.
I have up to 5 SLI bridges tested including a EVGA V2 that is suppose to have great band width.

Here's my issue;
In SLI regardless of driver/G-SYNC/vsync/refresh rate setting at the native resolution of 2560x1440 I am frame capped to 110fps. Matters not the benchmark/test I run 3DMark11/Skydiver/Cloud Gate/Fire Strike/Sniper Elite 3/Batman Arkham or any # of FPS games from COD4/BO/BO2/MW3 all measured using the latest Precision X16.

When I go single card mode (my MB allows me to kill any PCI-e slot on the fly) and run the exact tests back to back those that my system will exceed 144fps does so as it should. IF I swap monitors to a non G-SYNC 1080p (vsync off) at 85hz in SLI I get the same normal readings.

I was so convinced it was the monitor that I acquired two Asus ROG Swifts and a Acer XB280HK to test back to back with my XB270HU and my Asus VE278Q connected with the same DP cable and my AOC I2757Fh connected via HDMI.

Results?

ALL of the G-SYNC monitors were frame capped at 110fps native resolutions in SLI mode during each benchmark test BACK TO BACK. The 2 non G-SYNC monitors gave 100% normal results for my system specs BACK TO BACK not only compared to my own past non G-SYNC runs but other like systems in the 3DMark data base.

Again I have tried all settings combos I can see in the NVCP with drivers from Nov 14 to present.

ULMB makes ZERO difference.

I have contacted Acer and they are less help than Al Gore at an coal plant running 99.85% clean.

Any ideas/thoughts/questions or suggestions?

All the tests on this site indicate 144fps when I'm set to 144hz.

SS

lexlazootin

Re: XB270HU Frame Cap in SLI issue

Post by lexlazootin » 24 Jul 2015, 03:58

Dude that sucks man, I've heard of buggy SLI performance in the past with G-sync but nothing with your exact problem. Type SLI in the search and you can read what other people have came up with and maybe it's just something small you missed.

Might be a dumb question, but have you tried the tests in both Windows 8.1 and Windows 7?

Luck100

Post by Luck100 » 24 Jul 2015, 04:47

I just got this monitor a couple of days ago. I'm not seeing any kind of frame cap like that with or without SLI. I can't even imagine what would cap you to 110 FPS other than something like Rivatuner (the one that installs with MSI afterburner). Have you tried using something like DDU to clean up any possible residue of old drivers? How many monitors do you have connected?

My setup:
Acer XB270HU (April 2015 manufacture date)
Windows 7 Pro
i7-3770k
2-way SLI Gigabyte Gaming G1 GTX 970
NV Hotfix driver 353.38
Monitor connected with fullsize displayport cable (the one included with the monitor)

quikzapper

Post by quikzapper » 28 Jul 2015, 08:17

Hi

i have the same Problem:(
sys:
2500k OC at 4.8Ghz
2 660ti 3GB vram
Win8.1

Sebra and the Fox

Post by Sebra and the Fox » 26 Oct 2015, 21:45

I realise that this thread is rather old now, however, having recently come across the issue described in the original post and subsequently finding no help across the internet, I am checking in to this thread to say that I also have this problem and was wondering if anyone has found a solution yet?

I have the XB270HU monitor and two 970s in SLI, when running GSync (ON) + VSync (ON) + SLI in the Nvidia Control Panel then my FPS is limited to 85. I can change any graphics settings, choose any refresh rate and it makes no difference, I am capped to 85 FPS in every game I play (unless it uses OpenGL, then it seems to function properly). If I render a game in 1440p, I am capped to 85 FPS, I decided to just try 1080p to see if it made a difference, surprisingly it did, but not how I expected, changing to 1080p causes my FPS to be capped at 110, not 85 @ 1440p.

The only way I can get past 85 FPS is to either disable SLI, or disable VSync, then my FPS can go as high as my system allows. However, playing games with GSync (ON) + VSync (OFF) + SLI causes tearing. I have tried limitng my FPS to 144, 140, 135, 120, 100, 85, 72 and 60, but every setting causes some degree of screen tearing, which is not acceptable and the reason why I picked up a GSync monitor. This in itself is strange, because GSync should get rid of tearing, regardless of VSync settings, according to the refresh rate bar on the monitor's OSD, the refresh rate is variable so there shouldn't be tearing, but there just is!

Honestly though, my gaming experiences are silky smooth despite being capped to 85 FPS, with GSync (ON) + VSync (ON) + SLI I get a constant 85 FPS, no tearing, no stuttering and a visually stunning experience, but even so, it is an anomaly! I should not be capped to 85 FPS, right? I thought that maybe my CPU was a bottleneck, it is not, regardless of Low or High or Ultra graphic settings, regardless of my CPUs overclock, my FPS cannot go higher than 85 in every game and benchmark I have tried (except for one benchmark I ran in OpenGL, which allowed more than 85 FPS, but that doesn't really mean anything, since every game I play runs on DirectX).

I have tried literally everything I can think of and nothing helps. I want GSync + SLI + no tearing + max FPS, but alas, it seems to be impossible. Maybe I'll give up, sell my 970s and buy a GTX 980 Ti...

If anyone finds a solution or can offer some help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Sebra and the Fox

Post by Sebra and the Fox » 27 Oct 2015, 15:12

For the past two days, I have been wracking my brain trying to solve the issue mentioned in my previous post. I tried everything I could think of but it never crossed my mind to roll back my drivers. Going from 358.50 back down to 355.98 seems to have fixed the issue I had. Initial testing shows that I am getting 144 FPS + 144Hz with Gsync enabled as well as SLI functioning.

For those interested or experiencing similar issues, I am running two GTX 970s in SLI with a single Acer XB270HU.
I have GSync (ON) + VSync (ON) + SLI enabled, I cap my FPS to 135 to avoid input lag, and my initial testing in games is providing me with max FPS, a variable refresh rate, no tearing, no stuttering and a silky smooth experience.

I was getting so frustrated with being limited to 85 FPS/Hz, but a simple driver roll back seems to have worked.

UPDATE: I just found out that Nvidia released a hotfix driver, 358.59. It can be downloaded from here: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/ ... ver-358.59

It fixes the problem I had when using 358.50 drivers, and every game tested so far is running just as it should be with no tearing or FPS cap.