Asus VG248QE Prototype - no Power switch or Standby mode

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
HandSlander

Asus VG248QE Prototype - no Power switch or Standby mode

Post by HandSlander » 02 Nov 2015, 15:09

So I managed to snag a Asus VG248QE G-Sync Prototype edition 2nd hand. This is the model that nVidia was using to demo the G-Sync tech and for review units, rather than the retail version DIY kit.

Its the same as the one Blur Busters reviewed here with the giant nVidia logo on the back. All told I'm an nVidia fanboy so that was actually a plus for me.

Colours on turning on the monitor were washed out (not a huge surprise) but I was slightly surprised that the OSD buttons do nothing. Power button, menu and the rest click but do not have any effect on the monitor. While plugged in the monitor is always "on" and does not enter a low-power or standby state. I can understand why this would be useful in a demo situation such as at a game expo where you don't want 10yr olds switching your demo units off, but for home use its not very practical.

Despite the non-functioning OSD, I fixed the colours using softMCCS but my main problem now is the monitor can't be switched off or put into standby. Does anyone have this problem and is there a fix or workaround?

Thanks

offthewall

Re: Asus VG248QE Prototype - no Power switch or Standby mode

Post by offthewall » 09 Nov 2015, 14:31

Hi,

I'm in the exact same boat. I would love to know how to correct the colours on my factory installed G-Sync Asus vg248qe. Have you had any luck getting anywhere with it

Thanks

MrBrown

Post by MrBrown » 11 Nov 2015, 10:39

Its impossible to achieve a good result on this monitor with Gsync kit unfortunately (and even with the original hardware), which is why I sold that POS of a monitor.

Dont get me wrong in terms of functions it works good, but the colors are a total mess at 120/144hz and especially with a gsync kit, theres simply no way to properly calibrate that thing.

Im sitting in front of a BenQ XL2420G monitor right now, and its default color calibration in the Gsync mode is like 200x better than the VG248 with Gsync.
Falkentynes BenQ Service Menu thread: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 11 Nov 2015, 11:20

It's not the "monitor" itself. it's the hardware, circuitry and firmware (or lack of one) that goes into the entire thing.
The Asus VG248QE and Benq XL2420G use the exact same physical panel part.

Even the new 144hz TN freesync panel http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nix ... ,4336.html
uses the exact same panel as the VG248QE.

And the Qinx panels that overclock to 200-240 hz in the overclocking section here also use the same panel
(It's a M240HW01 V8)

The panel is the same. The electronics/firmware are what is preventing fixes and almost all Gsync monitors have few/no low level color adjustments and absolutely no hardware scaling capabilities.