Benq XL2420G Gsync and CSGO

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
JMH

Benq XL2420G Gsync and CSGO

Post by JMH » 11 Jan 2016, 03:10

Noticing some input lagg and having a hard time to get rid of it just wondering what settings would be the best to use ?

Thanks

Sparky

Re: Benq XL2420G Gsync and CSGO

Post by Sparky » 11 Jan 2016, 06:27

fps_max 140.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 11 Jan 2016, 07:49

To expand on Sparky's answer, if you cap the frame rate to a few FPS below the monitor's max refresh rates, you can avoid the situation where gsync turns into vsync. This is by design, because when the game tries to output more frames than the monitor can handle, then the game needs to wait for the monitor. Waiting for the monitor = vsync = input lag.

So, to avoid that, use fps_max 140 (or even a bit lower, like 136, whatever eliminates lag for you). Always make 100% sure you're using 144Hz in CS:GO.

Also note that gsync has an inherent input lag associated with it. Always. It's been measured to be about 3-4ms. Gsync has much lower input lag than vsync, but it's not zero.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Trip

Post by Trip » 11 Jan 2016, 16:09

Even gsync adds latency to a frame. I would recommend to turn both gsync and ulmb off in fast multiplayers games and run your fps as high as possible to avoid obvious tearing and getting the lowest latency. Thats atleast my experience with these technologies they are very nice for slower paced games but if you really want to win just turn them both off and get the highest framerate possible.
In my experience gsync works at its best in pretty looking single player rpg's and fps's and ulmb works best in racing games.
Both technologies I really would turn off when precision and reflexes are important as they just interfere with hand eye coordination at least that is how I experience it.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 11 Jan 2016, 17:52

I definitely disagree with Trip. Both ULMB and G-Sync are pretty fantastic with CS:GO but i'm definitely more on the G-Sync side of things. ULMB is great, but because of the terrible Benq overdrive, crosstalk and how much more screen tears stand out (Because ULMB is doing such a good job) it makes it kinda unusable for me. I would find times where the screen tearing would be in such a way to distract me playing and this kinda made it worse.

G-Sync is a fantastic bliss of perfect frames and i love it.
Just cap to fps_max 140 and enable G-Sync and you're done!

I don't know where people are getting this "gsync adds latency to a frame" because even this site says overwise http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview2/

Trip

Post by Trip » 12 Jan 2016, 09:41

lexlazootin wrote:I don't know where people are getting this "gsync adds latency to a frame" because even this site says overwise http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview2/
Any form of syncing adds latency to a frame. Maybe not to the frame currently being scanned out, but the frame that is rendered or could be rendered in the case of a frame limiter has to wait for the display to finish scanning the previous image to avoid tearing. It doesn't mean that you will notice this delay very much but it is there. I do agree that my statement is rather short and not well supported so I hope this makes it a bit more clear what I mean.
The testing method also only tested a gun being fired if the tickrate of the engine declares how often a gun should be updated this also declares part of the input lag when the gun is being shot (the others being the framerate/refresh rate/os etc...). It doesn't mean it won't update the player its viewmodel more often and lead to a more immediate experience. And that is what probably most of us experience as input lag not that a gun is being fired late after we click a button.
lexlazootin wrote:I definitely disagree with Trip. Both ULMB and G-Sync are pretty fantastic with CS:GO but i'm definitely more on the G-Sync side of things.
Different people different tastes I am not that sensitive to tearing especially at these high refresh rates (144hz) and framerates (250-300 fps) what I am very annoyed by is input latency and stuttering. Gsync does a very good job at minimizing these two things with regards to regular vsync but it doesn't mean it eliminates them completely.