ASUS VG248QE (G-Sync) Won't Turn On

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Karnaj

ASUS VG248QE (G-Sync) Won't Turn On

Post by Karnaj » 01 Jun 2016, 22:18

Hi, it's been a while since I posted on these forums. My 3 year old VG248QE decided to stop working today and I was wondering if someone could help me troubleshoot. It won't turn on, the power button doesn't turn blue like normal, and none of the other buttons (OSD and brightness) bring up on-screen menus. This started happening after I left the room with my monitor and PC turned on. My roommate had a power outage in his room around this time while my room was unaffected. My PC was still on when I came back, but my monitor was off amd nonresponsive.

I've tried reconnecting the power cord and the DisplayPort cable, but that didn't help. The extension cord socket that the power adapter is connected to works fine when I plug my phone charger into it. I've tried plugging the monitor's power adapter into different sockets, but that didn't help either.

I'm guessing the monitor or the power adapter is dead. I thought the internal board comnections might have come loose, but it shouldn't cause the monitor to refuse to power up, right? I'll try opening up the monitor to check. Is there anything I could have missed?
ASUS VG248QE | ASUS P8Z77-V | Intel i5-3570k @ 4.5 GHz | EVGA GTX 780 Classified ACX | Razer Deathadder 2013 | CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Red Switches | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM | Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Advanced | Antec HCG-750

Sparky

Re: ASUS VG248QE (G-Sync) Won't Turn On

Post by Sparky » 01 Jun 2016, 23:28

By "power outage" do you mean a very short dimming of the lights, or did it stay off for more than 1 second? Did you have to reset any circuit breakers?

How do you know your room was unaffected?

Could be some external power issue caused the power adapter to die, could be your power adapter dying caused the lights in your roommate's room to dim for a bit.

First thing to do is smell the monitor, if it smells burnt, open it up and see if you can visually identify what let the magic smoke out.

else

If you have the ability to load test the power supply, do that. If you can't, and it's an external power supply, just replace it and hope for the best.

If that isn't enough, go back to opening up the monitor and seeing what you can see.

Karnaj

Post by Karnaj » 02 Jun 2016, 00:39

The lights in his room all went out and he had to reset the circuit breaker to get them working again. I thought my room was unaffected because my lights, computer, and extension cords were all working. You bring up a good point, though. I've already opened up the monitor and I didn't see or smell anything out of place. All the connections also seemed snug, just the way I left them when I installed G-Sync.

I actually found a reddit thread detailing a similar power problem with this monitor. The OP fixed it by replacing the monitor's power cord. I just replaced the monitor's power cord with my PC's, but it didn't help. I might have to hunt down this Mean Well GS90A19-P1M switching adapter, which is proving hard to find. I'm unable to test the monitor's power supply.
ASUS VG248QE | ASUS P8Z77-V | Intel i5-3570k @ 4.5 GHz | EVGA GTX 780 Classified ACX | Razer Deathadder 2013 | CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Red Switches | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM | Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Advanced | Antec HCG-750

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 02 Jun 2016, 00:52

Karnaj wrote:I might have to hunt down this Mean Well GS90A19-P1M switching adapter, which is proving hard to find. I'm unable to test the monitor's power supply.
Looks like that company replaced it with the GST90A19-P1M Nearly identical specs, $31 on Mouser. Just need to make sure the one you have has the standard barrel plug (5.5mm center positive).

Karnaj

Post by Karnaj » 02 Jun 2016, 09:49

Oh, it seems the same adapter is sold on that site too and there's plenty left in stock. I might as well buy the same one unless it has a known defect.

Why does the same adapter have a 2.5 mm barrel plug while the new one you linked is 5.5 mm? I'm guessing the inner diameter is 2.5 mm and the outer is 5.5 mm, but that site inconsistently lists only one.

Guess I'll order the same adapter. Thank you for the help and wish me luck. Using my old ASUS VG236H in the meantime. :?

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 02 Jun 2016, 11:32

The datasheet says you can order the same model adapter with different plug sizes(from the manufacturer, not from a distributor unless they stock more than one), so the 2.5mm plug is probably 2.5mm outside diameter.

Karnaj

Post by Karnaj » 02 Jun 2016, 17:52

Well, this is strange. The majority of sites that sell this adapter lists it as having a 2.5 mm barrel plug. I just got off the phone with a Mouser customer service rep and she said that whatever's listed on page two of the datasheet (5.5 mm outer diameter) is correct. I'll just have to wait and see if it's true because I jumped the gun and the package is already shipped.

Karnaj

Post by Karnaj » 09 Jun 2016, 15:13

The adapter came in and the barrel plug fits perfectly. As expected, Mouser has some inconsistency listing the inner and outer diameters for their barrel plugs. When in doubt, check the datasheet.

Even better news: the adapter got my monitor working again. I'm really glad I only paid $30 for an adapter instead of paying $380+ for a similar G-Sync monitor. In case anyone's VG248QE with G-Sync stops powering up all of the sudden, check the external power supply.

Thank you, Sparky, for deducing the problem for me. :)

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 09 Jun 2016, 16:23

Nice. As a bit of a preventative measure, make sure the new power supply is somewhere it can get some air flow.